Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I can't take the wait anymore!!! During my interview with my host country (Russia), I asked when we can expect to hear back and was told that Russia sends over their list to the US by March 1st. It kills me knowing that the decision has pretty much already been made but we have to wait at least another month for the US to finalize and process it... I'm so jealous of the candidates who get to hear via email in the next few weeks!

It sure seems like the Germany ETA program needs to do a better job of being clear with their instructions. I never applied for the program, but reading this forum it almost feels like I did...

:rolleyes:

Just joking - carry on!

Actually, you are 100% correct. The directions were too few and too short... very much unclarified.

Hi everyone,

Question: I know I can go digging around the Fulbright website for this information, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows offhand how we update our mailing address if we've moved during the 5000 months since we sent in our applications?

I used to read this forum thinking I was far less nervous than everyone else. But now, add me to the club of completely wait-fatigued anxious people. It's hard to believe that I still won't know what I will be doing come August for another SIX WEEKS. (end rant)

good luuucckk y'all! will be checking in and wishing for the best as results start coming in.

jaymee email the program manager for your country. I moved too and I emailed Rachel Holskin, since I am a finalist for an ETA grant in Turkey, telling her my new address and she emailed me back a day later confirming.

Edited by oa0176

Has anyone on here gambled on the Fulbright? i.e. turned down an acceptance to something else, etc.

I was just accepted to an awesome mentorship program in my field, but I can't do it and the Fulbright simultaneously. I have to let them know by Friday. Am I completely insane to turn it down in the hopes that I will actually get the Fulbright, despite only 50%-50% odds of it coming through?

Topic change ---

Regarding genuine well-wishes for applicants -- I have and continue to express best wishes for everyone here. I think of the Fulbright as a competition with ourselves only -- to create a project that is best for our country of application and for ourselves, based on our skills, interests, and goals. It's not like we could have worked any harder on our apps or even been able to gauge our progress against another candidates' since our projects are all so different. I don't envy the commissions as they choose who will be awarded a grant and who won't. Of course we each hope that we're chosen, but since our ability to influence the outcome ended in October, I see no irony in the well-wishes.

Edited by boxoatoc

Is there anyone on this forum who has dependents that would be joining them to their prospective host country?

The worst part of the wait for me is knowing that the final decision will be affecting two people. I'm trying to figure out how to balance doing some initial planning for my spouse to have some work opportunities, but also feel a little silly doing all this work considering there is a very good chance I won't necessarily receive the Fulbright (but also don't want to feel completely unprepared if I do get it).

Anyone else in this situation?

@boxoatoc-- the advice I continue to receive from pretty much every adult mentor at my school is the same: Say yes, and if something else comes along (like Fulbright) and then you can turn the first job down if you'd rather take the second offer.

It's not the intuitively "nice" thing to do, but anyone who has had the job of hiring people knows that attrition happens. It's your life/career, so your number one priority needs to be making sure you have something lined up that you'd be happy to do. Leave it to them to figure out replacements/alternates if you are awarded the Fulbright in the next two months and change your plans.

Edited by Eternal Icicle

Is there anyone on this forum who has dependents that would be joining them to their prospective host country?

The worst part of the wait for me is knowing that the final decision will be affecting two people. I'm trying to figure out how to balance doing some initial planning for my spouse to have some work opportunities, but also feel a little silly doing all this work considering there is a very good chance I won't necessarily receive the Fulbright (but also don't want to feel completely unprepared if I do get it).

Anyone else in this situation?

I'm sure your spouse will thank you for doing the legwork for him or her if you do get the fulbright! What employment options were you thinking of? I don't have any dependents but I thought maybe my boyfriend might be able to join me for a few months working in the ESL industry. Turns out it is a little harder than I thought since he is German and the opportunities for non-native English speakers (although his english is really very good) are kind of sparse a.k.a. getting a working visa would be really hard. Even though I don't know if I'll get it, it's good to know those kinds of things before hand.

Plus, think of it this way: if you're that committed to/interested in the region that you went through the Fulbright application process, it's not out of left field that you may someday end up doing a stint there even if you do not receive the Fulbright. In that case, it'll be good to have already done that research into visas, work opportunities etc.

Edited by bdoll

jaymee email the program manager for your country. I moved too and I emailed Rachel Holskin, since I am a finalist for an ETA grant in Turkey, telling her my new address and she emailed me back a day later confirming.

Thanks oa0176! Already taken care of today. :)

All they said was end of March for the full grant. I don't have an exact date!

Hey! I had my Comexus interview a couple weeks ago; also full grant. They told me decisions would be made by March 23. Less than 1 month...

Hey! I had my Comexus interview a couple weeks ago; also full grant. They told me decisions would be made by March 23. Less than 1 month...

PS- SUPERANXIOUSSSSS

Hi! I've been recommended for an ETA in Turkey, and I have an advice/timeline question.

I have an opportunity to live and work in Costa Rica for four-six weeks beginning in mid-March, but I know that if I'm selected, then I only have three weeks to get all my medical paperwork into Fulbright.

So here's where your guys' opinions and experiences would be helpful: 1) Since Turkey is apparently one of the last countries to decide, should I be fine timeline-wise, 2) Has anyone submitted their medical abroad or gotten a deferral, or 3) Should I not risk it?

Thanks guys and good luck to you all!

Anyone hear about the Belgium ETA...I'm still waiting...any information would be great! Thanks!

I have been recommended for a Belgium Full Grant, but I have not heard any news about Belgium ETAs.

Hi! I've been recommended for an ETA in Turkey, and I have an advice/timeline question.

I have an opportunity to live and work in Costa Rica for four-six weeks beginning in mid-March, but I know that if I'm selected, then I only have three weeks to get all my medical paperwork into Fulbright.

So here's where your guys' opinions and experiences would be helpful: 1) Since Turkey is apparently one of the last countries to decide, should I be fine timeline-wise, 2) Has anyone submitted their medical abroad or gotten a deferral, or 3) Should I not risk it?

Thanks guys and good luck to you all!

I think it was a forum on GradCafe (or at least some place like it) that was a bunch of Turkey ETA finalists talking about stuff waiting for their decisions. This was last year. I think they all found out whether they got the grant around June 9th or so. If Turkey follows their previous trends, it's likely you'll be back before you hear anything from Turkey. However, I don't want to tell you you'll certainly be fine, and then have you find out you're accepted while you're abroad. Unless someone else has more concrete advice, I would suggest maybe contacting Fulbright to let them know you're considering the Costa Rica option and are concerned about completing medical forms in a timely fashion. See what they suggest.

Edited by CairoKid

I think it was a forum on GradCafe (or at least some place like it) that was a bunch of Turkey ETA finalists talking about stuff waiting for their decisions. This was last year. I think they all found out whether they got the grant around June 9th or so. If Turkey follows their previous trends, it's likely you'll be back before you hear anything from Turkey. However, I don't want to tell you you'll certainly be fine, and then have you find out you're accepted while you're abroad. Unless someone else has more concrete advice, I would suggest maybe contacting Fulbright to let them know you're considering the Costa Rica option and are concerned about completing medical forms in a timely fashion. See what they suggest.

I kind of remember someone mentioning that the reason the Turkey people found out so late last year was because of funding issues particular to that year, so I wouldn't count on finding out that late this year. I dont think it's unreasonable to go to costa rica- I second giving the Fulbright people a heads up about your whereabouts and maybe making an appointment w your doctor for a physical for a date soon after your return, just in case? Can't hurt to have a physical already scheduled for the year anyway right?

Apologies for typos, on my iPad.

I kind of remember someone mentioning that the reason the Turkey people found out so late last year was because of funding issues particular to that year, so I wouldn't count on finding out that late this year. I dont think it's unreasonable to go to costa rica- I second giving the Fulbright people a heads up about your whereabouts and maybe making an appointment w your doctor for a physical for a date soon after your return, just in case? Can't hurt to have a physical already scheduled for the year anyway right?

Apologies for typos, on my iPad.

Now that I think about it, you're right. While Turkey is always notorious slow to respond, I otherwise have no idea how late they respond without funding issues. I could do some research, but then again, it may vary drastically by year.

Edit: Yeah, after doing a brief Google search, I just have no idea and am too lazy at this hour to try to speculate. hah

Edited by CairoKid

looking at the 2010-11 spreadsheet Turkey ETAs found out May 14th, so maybe it'll be that way again this year since last year there were issues that caused the late notification. I really hope it's earlier...

looking at the 2010-11 spreadsheet Turkey ETAs found out May 14th, so maybe it'll be that way again this year since last year there were issues that caused the late notification. I really hope it's earlier...

I'm with you on that one. Wish it was even earlier than that.

I'm waiting on the Germany Full Grant notification. Will we be notified by email? I thought it was per letter sent to our permanent address...

I'm waiting on the Germany Full Grant notification. Will we be notified by email? I thought it was per letter sent to our permanent address...

As far as I know, Germany (and most programs) notify via mail to permanent address. I believe that the UK may have some kind of early notification system. It seems like the program works a little bit differently (all of the UK applicants had interviews, for example) so maybe they send an email and then a letter.

I almost wish that Germany would notify via email. Whether I'm accepted or rejected for the ETA, either way I would prefer to process the news on my own before I share with anyone, but instead I'm going to have to have my father open the envelope on the phone with me, and he'll know at the same time I do.