Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Has anyone been desperate enough to contact the Fulbright office of the country they are applying to in attempt to get some answers? I'm soooo tempted to send an email to Fulbright Russia (though I know final approval is made by the FSB) but I'm keeping myself from acting on this urge because it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

These last weeks of waiting are worse than the 6 months!! I second the frustration of others constantly asking "Have you heard yet?!" I know the question is asked only out of concern and curiosity, but my family and friends should know that they will know as soon as I know :)

I second the frustration of others constantly asking "Have you heard yet?!" I know the question is asked only out of concern and curiosity, but my family and friends should know that they will know as soon as I know :)

I am actually starting to get really annoyed by it (unless it's my family) so I might actually not tell a lot of people unless I have to (if I hopefully get the grant!). Mostly because people keep asking me when they're going to get to visit me in Bali, or if I have "heard about going to Bali." Geez, there's more to Indonesia than Bali...

Edited by bdoll

I am actually starting to get really annoyed by it (unless it's my family) so I might actually not tell a lot of people unless I have to (if I hopefully get the grant!). Mostly because people keep asking me when they're going to get to visit me in Bali, or if I have "heard about going to Bali." Geez, there's more to Indonesia than Bali...

I find it kind of humorously annoying. A couple of my professors helped me with my application or served on my interview board, and they ask me ALL OF THE TIME whether or not I've heard anything. The conversation usually goes something like this:

-So did you hear from Fulbright yet?

-No, not yet! I don't expect to find out until April.

-Well be sure to let me know when you do!

-I will, I promise!

One week later, we have the same conversation. Do they not believe me when I tell them I'll let them know? :P

Anyone else struggling with trying to plan for next year while simultaneously adding to the end of every plan 'but if I get the Fulbright...'? I've realized that apartment hunting for my grad program is essentially useless until I hear. Either way, I can't exactly put a non-refundable deposit down for an apartment that there is only a 50% chance I'll need this August. I don't want to be 'that person' who calls up Fulbright and asks for information when I know I won't get any answers, but it would sure be nice to be able to start planning either way...

Today was my last final before spring break, and it was an online test. I put it off to the very last moment I could take it, because it was last thing I had to keep my mind off this horrible wait!

Anyone else struggling with trying to plan for next year while simultaneously adding to the end of every plan 'but if I get the Fulbright...'? I've realized that apartment hunting for my grad program is essentially useless until I hear. Either way, I can't exactly put a non-refundable deposit down for an apartment that there is only a 50% chance I'll need this August. I don't want to be 'that person' who calls up Fulbright and asks for information when I know I won't get any answers, but it would sure be nice to be able to start planning either way...

I'm in a similar position -- I put off grad school to pursue this application (and a nonprofit job). I'm back from an internship and have been looking for temp work because my life will be changed (for better or for worse :) ) within the next few weeks, and I don't think it would be fair to accept a full-time job only to potentially leave it in a few months. Hard to plan ahead!

I find it kind of humorously annoying. A couple of my professors helped me with my application or served on my interview board, and they ask me ALL OF THE TIME whether or not I've heard anything. The conversation usually goes something like this:

-So did you hear from Fulbright yet?

-No, not yet! I don't expect to find out until April.

-Well be sure to let me know when you do!

-I will, I promise!

One week later, we have the same conversation. Do they not believe me when I tell them I'll let them know? :P

Haha, everyone, eve

n my FPA keeps asking me. I will tell you when I know, I PROMISE. (Or, if I don't get it, I'm not going to want to talk about it....)

I'm in essentially the same boat. My lease just went up on my apartment, and my landlord is basically saying I have to resign for a year right now or move. No one in my city wants a renter who might only be around a month or two, so I'm basically going to have to couch hop until I get word and pay to have my stuff put in storage.

We are getting emails this year.

Well, we are on the verge of passing last years notification date for Germany ETA. Depressing.

Wasn't last year like April 1st or something? I think 2010 was March 23rd....

I know a few folks who've received recent emails about the commission not having all their transcripts yet. i'm wondering if this contact suggests something about how close they are to making their final decisions for these countries (morocco and poland)? anyone know the trajectory from the point of these sorts of emails in the past? gonna go digging around the old forum, but figured I'd toss this out there for those that wanna ruminate with me (since, you know, it's so productive and all). misery loves company!

This is actually the second time I've been a finalist for a Fulbright (I was named an alternate for a full grant last year), and I think sharing the sequence of events during my last wait-period might help??

Jan : Notified as a finalist--I sent in all of my transcripts right away.

March (early): I was contacted to let me know that they never received one of my transcripts. I overnighted a new copy, and a representative confirmed that it had been received.

April (4th): Notified as an alternate.

May: For whatever reason, they contacted me again (this time as part of a mass mailing) to let me know that all of my transcripts had been received.

So I guess this is just to say that I'm not sure investigations into missing transcripts reflect where they are in the selection process. It's certainly possible that it's different for every country, though! Good luck to you!!

Also, are there any other past alternates out there who are reapplying? Has anyone heard tell of alternate-turned-scholar success stories (or otherwise!)?? It's just as nerve-wracking the second time around!

Edited by pozor

Hi everyone,

I was granted a research grant to Germany (email notification) and just now stumbled across this great discussion forum -- plenty of very good information, so kudos for everyone who keeps it up. My question is about funding: does anyone know what the funding amount is for Germany full grants? A bit ago in this thread someone suggested a website that had info on it, but this info was for incoming Fulbrighters from Germany to the US. Anyone already receive the stipend amount information or is there a way for previous grantees to let us know what's up? I simultaneously find it strange and understand the reasoning behind not publicizing the information anywhere on the net about this. ...