What does it mean that I still have not heard?

ra4681

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what it means to be waitlisted past the 15h. Does this mean they've gone to the waitlist and are now deciding again? Should I wait it out until Monday before making contact again? I know some programs can keep you waiting through the summer, but this is not one of those programs. Any insight?

Some schools will take several days after April 15th to notify waitlisted candidates. It may take the school a while to determine how many offers were accepted/declined, and, in turn, how many waitlisted candidates can be subsequently offered spots. If spots become available, the time before notification may vary depending upon if the waitlist is ranked or unranked. Ranked waitlists can be addressed immediately, but if the waitlist is unranked the graduate committee will need to re-review applications and determine which waitlisted candidates may be best suited to the available position(s). In short, it may take a few days. I would wait until Monday.

I was told by one of my universities that the admission process would take longer than April the 15th (even though they are part of the Council of Graduate Schools) and the other hasn't responded to my e-mails since Febuary. Going to wait til Monday and see what I can find out, but its not looking great.

For the school I'm waitlisted at their deadline for declining/accepting admission offers is May 1st... so they won't even know until then exactly how many spots they'll have. They explicitly said that we'll know by May 21st. Maybe your school also has a later deadline.

My program always has a cohort of 8. We all had until the 18th to reply, but were encouraged to reply sooner. So far 6 of us have, but there are two holdouts.

I have no idea what good delaying to the deadline does. I instantly knew where I wanted to go, but I understand that some people feel torn in multiple directions.

I am guessing that my program, like most, will release any unclaimed spots to waitlisters the day after. Hopefully yours is the same.

Good luck!

...its april 17 th...and havent got any decision frm Texas A&M, Maryland and SUNY-Stony Brook...got rejections frm Wisc and Georgia Tech...btw I applied for Ph.D Chemistry....guys ne idea whts goin on..is there still a hope??

Edited by ah233