Didn't get accepted anywhere... now what?

shmuey

As titled, I didn't get accepted to any of my 3 schools. While the reality has still yet to set in (the last "you fail" letter came Saturday), I still want to go to graduate school for my MPH but am not really sure how to better my credentials so that for 2012 I can actually be happy with the mail I receive. Step 1 is to find a job in the field, but that's not going to be extremely easy. Obviously it won't hurt to retake the GRE and increase that score, but other than those 2 things, what can I really do? I'm not going back to take undergrad classes, and I'll only be able to take 1 course as a non-degree student (which I'm heavily contemplating). I am considering calling up the admissions office and asking them directly how I can enhance my position, but I honestly don't know who to talk to. Worst of all, I only have effectively August thru January to improve my credentials before I'll have to be resubmitting applications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by shmuey

If you can't get a paid position, you can always volunteer/intern part time while you work on other things like GRE or post bacc classes (of course this is necessary if your GPA/GRE is low = barely above minimum required by the program).

I am considering calling up the admissions office and asking them directly how I can enhance my position, but I honestly don't know who to talk to.

If you call, they will tell you who to talk to. Is there a contact mentioned on the letter they sent you? Respond directly to that party.

You might also try some other schools. What are your stats like? I am currently working on an online MPH through New Mexico State University and they are still accepting applications for the fall. You might try them. They even let you pay in-state tuition if you take only 2 classes per semester. If not that, you might see if there is somewhere you can take some grad level classes non-degree, or apply to a pub health certificate program. Most of those are still accepting applications for the fall too.

I tried to apply directly to doc programs before finishing the MPH and wasn't accepted anywhere for next fall myself, so I know how it feels. It's like you thought you had some opportunity and hope out there and then it evaporates. I thought I would get in with my stellar GREs and good work history, but no. Now I am back to being grateful for the MPH admission.

Yeah, I would call up admissions at the schools you really want to attend and just express your interest in them as well as your concerns about stats or overall application requirements. If you plan on reapplying to the same three next year you should also call and ask for feedback on your applications, this will pinpoint exactly what you will need to address next time, plus what have you got to lose? You certainly don't want to go through the whole process all over again doing the exact same thing. Taking a course as a non-degree student seems like a really good way to show your commitment and to do well would give your application a fresh and relevant boost, much more relevant that a slightly higher GRE score anyway and maybe you'd be able to get a new letter of recommendation from that professor. It's also a way to kind of get going on your academics despite the lack of acceptance. Most programs allow you to transfer those credits right? I'm not sure about it, but even so, it's seems like a good thing to do. Are there any other schools you can apply to for spring admissions?

Edited by Mal83

A lot of good suggestions here. All I know is the same stuff as everyone else. Try to get a paid position or at least volunteer in the field you want to go into. Show the people next go around that this is what you want and you are dedicated to it. Good luck and keep the faith (this was my second season for Ph.D. programs with 0 success last year and acceptance this year).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm also considering applying to certificate programs, which most schools seem to roll the credits over into their masters programs. This might be a somewhat costlier route, but might be the best path for me to actually prove I can succeed. Any thoughts?

I am not in the same situation, but please take this advice from an advisor I trusted.

I did not get enough funding to go to my dream school. My advisor suggested, rather then reject it outright, see if I can study part-time for a year, do a really, super job in classes and get recommendations from people in the department to be in a better position to ask for more funding/apply to scholarships the following year.

It did not work in my situation because my dream school did not change their financial aid package after you were admitted, so no luck.

But if we apply it to your situation, it might work out. If you take a few courses (which will cost you say $3000 a course in my world), and rock those courses in the fall term (when recommendations need to be written for next cycle), you might very well have the chance to get great recs, have a community to bounce SOP, and writing samples off of, and be able to hone your research interests based on what you know actually happens in graduate level courses.

If you apply for same school as your certificate, you may be able to transfer the credits, and you essentially paid for one semester, but put yourself in great shape to get admitted and get funding for the rest of your program. Besides, as I am not finishing an MA, I can tell you that if you have 9 credits out of the way before you start, you will love the freedom it gives you to be able to reduce workload, take an elective, and graduate on time.

Good luck, but I think that may be an excellent choice if you can swing the cost of a few courses. In fact, it might put you in better shape than if you were admitted this year, but without great funding.

Shmuey, I'm in the same boat you are. If I don't get into the master's program I applied to, my plan is to see if I can get a lab tech (initially, at least) kind of job--or any job, for that matter--and try to take some non-degree courses in my area. Hopefully they'll transfer, even if I don't choose to go to that university. My only concern is being able to afford the tuition, even in-state. (Of course, that goes for the master's program as well...)

I have worked on MPH coursework for the past 3 years and am now waiting to hear back from school to pursue a Doctor of Public Health. Why did you only apply to 3 schools? Did you apply through SOPHAS some of the schools on there are on rolling admissions and also the deadlines have not yet passed. As for making a stronger applicant profile...are you better in math or writing? you can take the epi/biostat track or heath policy or envmt'l health or even social behavior so we need more info to advise you for more success with your MPH future applications...Don't worry those letters don't determine your worth as a human and you still have hope and many chances okay...give us more info

As titled, I didn't get accepted to any of my 3 schools. While the reality has still yet to set in (the last "you fail" letter came Saturday), I still want to go to graduate school for my MPH but am not really sure how to better my credentials so that for 2012 I can actually be happy with the mail I receive. Step 1 is to find a job in the field, but that's not going to be extremely easy. Obviously it won't hurt to retake the GRE and increase that score, but other than those 2 things, what can I really do? I'm not going back to take undergrad classes, and I'll only be able to take 1 course as a non-degree student (which I'm heavily contemplating). I am considering calling up the admissions office and asking them directly how I can enhance my position, but I honestly don't know who to talk to. Worst of all, I only have effectively August thru January to improve my credentials before I'll have to be resubmitting applications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Calling the admissions office and asking to speak to someone is a good idea. I've already been through the grad school admissions process.... and finished grad school but the first time I applied (yes, there were multiple attempts) I spoke to someone who took a critical review of my application and told me exactly what I needed to do to strengthen my chances of getting in the next year. Their advice was actually very helpful and steered me on the right path. It is tempting to think that your GRE scores might have kept you out of grad school but that's not *always* the issue - as much more goes into the decision besides objective criteria like GPA and GRE scores. Also look at your personal statement - could you have made any improvements there? Did you ask for letters of recommendation from the strongest candidates who can really speak to your aptitude to do well in grad school? Or were they only able to say something generic like "He/she got an A in my class"?

hi,

A lot of good suggestions.According to me best way out is to get your application assessed by expert admission consultants.They would tell you exactly what areas you need to work on. They would help you in enhancing your strengths and help you with your weak points.

There are way too many free resources out there to spend even more money on such a service.

Don't know about your field, but I've heard that arranging visits to the schools and speaking with the faculty in the fall is helpful. Might be worth saving up for if it turns out you don't need to retake the GRE.

I definitely would apply to way more schools next time around. I applied to 14 this year...I probably did go overboard though. But I think at least 10 schools would be reasonable given how competitive the admissions process is. Last time around, I only applied to one school and didn't get in. I ended up doing a post-bacc fellowship program just to stay grounded in academia and develop more in my field before I started applying. You might want to look into post-bacc programs which are funded, it might prove helpful.

Edited by ZeeMore21

I think consulting professors would be the best choice...I think they would be more in tune with the application process.

hi,

A lot of good suggestions.According to me best way out is to get your application assessed by expert admission consultants.They would tell you exactly what areas you need to work on. They would help you in enhancing your strengths and help you with your weak points.