LOR thank you

poliscijunkie

Hi all

Ok so I am in, and done the semester so now I have to think about how to properly thank my profs. I am kinda confused, I am by no means wanting to give them a present, but it is between the email verses thank you card. Any input?

The LOR were for MA programs, (3 profs in total) 2 I had one class each with (one was much more helpful than the other) and the third I have had a class and an additional year of independent research class ( all these classes were seminars). this last prof has been particularly helpful in providing me with grad advice, comments, etc.

I also may be hitting them all up again for other LOR (law school) within the next few months...

thoughts!?? i know all of you are probs going thru this same dilemma. Would a simple email thank you be considered disrespectful??

Personally, I would say "absolutely," but a lot of people seem to think it's sufficient. I don't. LOR's take a lot of time to write and the professors are investing their time and energy into your future, risking their reputation, and investing in you. I think at the very least, it is worth a hand-written card -- ESPECIALLY if you plan to ask them for references in the future!

I am in the same position. I asked last year to get into my master's program, again this year as I was trying to jump into a doctoral, but I didn't get in so I will be asking them again for next year, as I will reapply to doc after finishing the master's. Last year I just sent out a thank you email, but this year I will send a small gift, some chocolates or something, in addition. I think it would be nice to receive something little like that if I were in their position. I know they are busy and writing a letter/filling out eval forms for different schools, takes time and energy for them to do.

I am in the same position. I asked last year to get into my master's program, again this year as I was trying to jump into a doctoral, but I didn't get in so I will be asking them again for next year, as I will reapply to doc after finishing the master's. Last year I just sent out a thank you email, but this year I will send a small gift, some chocolates or something, in addition. I think it would be nice to receive something little like that if I were in their position. I know they are busy and writing a letter/filling out eval forms for different schools, takes time and energy for them to do.

I've decided to send a coffee mug (from the school I'll be attending in the fall) to my four referees. I know it's kind of cheesy, but this is the fourth time they've submitted letters for me; they submitted letters for my master's course, for a PhD at the school where I got my master's (I ended up turning down the offer), for PhD programs the following year, and again this year for PhD programs (I didn't get in anywhere last year). I didn't send any gifts before, but since they've stuck with me for four years, I feel like they might appreciate something, even if it is small and somewhat goofy.

Would a simple email thank you be considered disrespectful??

Normally, no. But I would try to hand write a card in your situation, as you're going to them again for more letters. I was in the 'gifts for my LOR professors' camp, but if it was inappropriate in my situation (if I didn't know one of them well), I would've gone with a card rather than an email. A card is just so much more thoughtful without being overwrought with emotion, methinks.

BUT: When I gave my gifts out, I included a typed note. My handwriting is horrifying. Something to think about.

Personally, I stopped by their offices and took them a little gift (roughly $10 each maybe a little less) and told them the news. I know that is not possible for a lot of people but if the LOR writers are within a reasonable distance then telling them personally is a nice touch. It was also nice for me to be able to tell them. If they are too far to drive to, then a "Thank You" card with a hand written message would be good.