Going to grad school after being in the real world

I'm going to flip adsum's "Going straight from undergrad to grad school" topic around, and ask any of you who've taken time off (whether it is one year or 25 years) if you are nervous about going back to school.

I took a year off so I could get a job and make enough $$$ to pay off my student loans. I don't really think one year out is that big of a difference, but I think it did put a new perspective on school for me...I think I took being in school for granted in my undergrad, and after experiencing "the real world" for awhile, I will be thankful to go back. I think having a year off actually benefited me when I interviewed for assistantships, as I could pitch myself as having more maturity and perspective.

I did notice during interview weekends that there were only 2 or 3 people at each school who had taken more than 5 years off. I thought it might have been awkward for them, being surrounded by maybe what they considered a bunch of kids. Are any of you in this situation? Are you nervous/excited about going back? Feel odd to be in a cohort of young people? Feel like your work experience gives you a leg up?

I've taken 2 years since graduating from college to teach high school English with Teach For America. I graduated from college early, though, so I'm not really older than most entering PhD candidates who are going straight from undergrad. (Although I do feel more mature.) I'm really glad that I took the time between undergrad and grad school--it helped clarify my thoughts about going, and reaffirmed my commitment. I know now, having been away from academia for 2 years, that this is the right thing for me.

I did notice during interview weekends that there were only 2 or 3 people at each school who had taken more than 5 years off. I thought it might have been awkward for them, being surrounded by maybe what they considered a bunch of kids. Are any of you in this situation? Are you nervous/excited about going back? Feel odd to be in a cohort of young people? Feel like your work experience gives you a leg up?

As I've mentioned before (and on my blog) I took 15 years off, and when I went back I was nervous as hell. Not just because I thought I might have forgotten too much (I did study enough to make up for what I did forget), but because I figured the "kids" would have 10X more energy than I did. I'm not saying the "kids" do, but seems to me they apply a fairly low percentage of their energy to studying. I had no trouble keeping up, at all.

I was also afraid that I'd be friendless because, well, everyone else would see me as too old. And while I don't get invited to a lot of the after-hours parties, I still have a couple of really good friends as well as a whole bunch of acquaintances I like to hang out with. I'm not ostracized nearly as much as I thought I'd be. (Also, I find I like hanging out with younger people--they are less cynical than some of my older friends.)

All in all, I think taking the time off was incredibly good for me. I think more deeply now than I did when I was younger. Also, my teaching experience has helped me to understand the fundamentals (math, chemistry) so deeply that higher concepts come a lot more easily to me now. And I've learned to think about things from 10,237 angles instead of just one.

As I've mentioned before (and on my blog) I took 15 years off, and when I went back I was nervous as hell. Not just because I thought I might have forgotten too much (I did study enough to make up for what I did forget), but because I figured the "kids" would have 10X more energy than I did. I'm not saying the "kids" do, but seems to me they apply a fairly low percentage of their energy to studying. I had no trouble keeping up, at all.

I was also afraid that I'd be friendless because, well, everyone else would see me as too old. And while I don't get invited to a lot of the after-hours parties, I still have a couple of really good friends as well as a whole bunch of acquaintances I like to hang out with. I'm not ostracized nearly as much as I thought I'd be. (Also, I find I like hanging out with younger people--they are less cynical than some of my older friends.)

All in all, I think taking the time off was incredibly good for me. I think more deeply now than I did when I was younger. Also, my teaching experience has helped me to understand the fundamentals (math, chemistry) so deeply that higher concepts come a lot more easily to me now. And I've learned to think about things from 10,237 angles instead of just one.

Against my well-meaning-but-over-involved mother's repeated counsel, I took 2 years off before starting grad school. I am so, so glad that I did. Not only did it give me better perspective on academia and a better understanding of what I want to do in my life, but time working overseas gave me real-life heroes whose stories will fuel my graduate research. Plus, looking for a real-life job I loved and ending up in a dead-end I don't gave me more fuel for my fires... to get outa here and be paid to learn ;)

Additionally, several programs I applied to required or strongly advised time off - 'successful applicants typically have 2 or more years of experience in non-profits or government agencies....' When I went to UW's accepted student day, I noticed that folks who had some experience in the real world got a lot more 'street cred' than the young'uns. I think my mom's coming around ;)

I'll still be a young one (graduated young, like chesirequeen), but I'm very happy with the experiences of the past few years. I'm treasuring this year of a boring, dead-end job as 'rest' - the last time for a long time I can do *nothing* in the evenings ;)

It's been 7 years since I finished my BA, but I definitely wouldn't call it "time off"--I was pursuing a completely unrelated career which I finally realized wasn't the right one for me. I'm terrified of going back to school at the same time as I'm unbelievably excited--I'm worried that in 7 years I've completely lost the rhythm of reading and writing that carried me through my 16 years of continuous education. I'm terrified that everyone else in my cohort will have "always" known they wanted an English PhD and have been preparing themselves for years, whereas for the past 7 years I was going after different goals. I think that my time in the "real world" will provide me with a lot of insight and perspective that will serve me well, but I worry I don't remember how to be a student! Hopefully after the summer school session I signed up for this summer I'll feel more in the swing of things. Hopefully.

It's just about 5 years now since I graduated from undergrad. I've taken some post-grad courses while out of school, but I am a bit scared I'll be overwhelmed by going back to the full course load plus working to pay cost of living and such.

At an open house, I felt a lot of the students weren't straight out of undergrad, and most of the one's who were didn't seem too young. A few who brought helicopter parents along to the visit rubbed me a bit the wrong way, but perhaps they would seem different without mom and/or dad tagging along. This actually kind of boggled my mind. Even if I'd chosen to go straight out of undergrad, I don't think it would have crossed my mind to bring my parents along on any visits.

By the time I start a PhD program (assuming I get in), I'll have finished undergrad five years earlier.

It's not "time off," though - I've been doing full-time research in my field for all that time (except for a few unemployed months, because the economy did its thing). I don't especially like the "time off" phrasing, since it implies that what I've actually been doing for several years is lying on a beach, sprawling on the couch watching TV, or traveling the world, rather than work, but I realize it's the standard phrasing in grad app forums. :) I've also been taking classes, first as a non-degree student and then as a part-time MS student. I have seriously beefed up my CV since I got my bachelor's degree.

I am not particularly nervous about it because I've been immersed in my field for all this time, between work and part-time school. My employer will fund employees seeking PhDs (though if I voluntarily leave I have to pay back any education benefits from the previous 12 months) who continue working there part-time, so I get career continuity as well.

I took 15 years off before getting my undergrad degree. In the meantime, I worked retail and had babies and raised them up a bit. I went from stay at home mom to college student to grad student.

The transition has not been difficult. Sometimes I am sad that we don't have more money, but I think my kids have a pretty cool life with lots of opportunities afforded them from living in a college town and having a flexibly scheduled mom. I am not the oldest in my program (although I am one of a handful), and there are a lot of people in their mid- to late-20s, and that age gap doesn't seem insurmountable. I have a lot of friends and feel respected in my program. Life gets crazy, but it seems worth it.

Glad to hear so many of you have had positive experiences!

Just want to add - In this case, "time off" means time off from school...not time off from life. I'm sure everybody realizes that you haven't been sitting around eating ho hos and watching TV all this time. I thought the phrase "You've taken some time off and are going back [to school, presumably] made that obvious.

It has been 6 years for me since undergrad. I don't regret taking that time off, because right out of undergrad I wanted to go to law school. Now I realize that would have been a complete waste of money. In those 5 years I landed a great job in a field that I know I want to work in for the rest of my life. Maybe some people can figure out what they want to do in life at 22 years old, but I know I didn't have a clue, I was more confused after college than I was after high school. I definitely recommend people take some time and start working in the field you think you're interested in before deciding on going to grad school. It also helps you with your applications!

I got my B.S. 9 years ago. In the meantime, I was a high school teacher, and also have worked in industry. I'll be starting a PhD in August. Sometimes I've felt that I could have saved some time, if I had known then what I know now. But that's the whole point... if I wouldn't have lived my experiences, I wouldn't have gained the self knowledge to know I'm on the right path.

I'm not really worried about the academic or social aspects. Any lack of current detail compared to freshly minted undergrads is made up for by what I learned about pedagogy as a teacher. (And yes, I did use that line on my SOP!) As far as making friends, when I went on interviews, everyone was nice, and I didn't get the feeling my age would be a problem.

But there is one scary thing: I recently got an email from a former student: he's graduating this spring, and this fall he's going to apply to graduate school! :lol:

It's been almost 4 years for me since finishing undergrad. I think if I went to grad school straight out of undergrad I would not have been prepared from a maturity standpoint. I've been working in the planning/consulting industry for the entire 4 year stretch and it has allowed me to grow as a person and gain valuable experience. Now I am almost 27 and ready to move onto the next phase of my life. I believe most grad students are in and around their late 20's, so it seems to be a good time for me to go. Plus, I will be done and hopefully back to work before I turn 30!

I feel a bit nervous going back to school, not in a sense of the workload or from a social standpoint, but from an academic view. Academia is very different than the working world, in terms of communication with professors, writing papers, reading theory, etc. I think for the first few weeks, it will be a tough transition for myself, but I should be able to get back into the swing of things.

I finished my undergrad in 2004 and a diploma in 2007. So it's been about 4 years since I've been a fulltime student. I'm not too worried about anything. I'm sure there will be other students who are my age (I turn 30 in July) or close to my age.

I worked for a couple of years and gained some experience. (I was off for 2 years from being really sick).

I wonder if I'll be a little rusty when it comes to readings, lectures and academic design work. I'm used to having architects, engineers and other people giving me projects with "real" budgets and deadlines. I'm afraid that my research skills are hella rusty. Oh boy!!

I'm glad I waited though. The real world experience I have gained is invaluable. I didn't know what I wanted to do straight out of undergrad. Waiting helped me gain more perspective about my field and my specific interests. I also got to pay off some of my student loans.

Edited by cherylsafina

I've taken a year off- working (not quite full time) and (I must admit) having a lot of fun playing music. I do feel like my brain has become a bit sluggish, and I am worried the first few essays will be rough.

Plus, I'm going to spend the summer in Ireland (having fun and not working)- and I fear that coming back to school will feel less fun than that. I want to give myself a break and recharge, but I hope it doesn't backfire.

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated in 2005 and have been in the military since graduating. I am very nervous about going back to school. I do not think I will feel odd to be around young people because for the past 6 years I have worked with people almost 8 years younger and 15 years older than me. I thought it was weird at first to be around so many young people, but it was nice to get to know a diverse group of people. I do not think the work experience gives me a leg up because I am going from nuclear engineering to health admin. However I do believe that my time management skills are better than what they were back when I was in undergrad. But amidst all the nervousness I am 100%excited.

I took about a year and a half "off" between the completion of my MA and the start of my PhD. It was a busy time (I was working 3 part-time jobs to make ends meet) but also a good time to hang out with friends more and pursue various academic and personal interests. By the time my PhD program started, though, I was ready to jump in! I'm at the end of my first year now and it's definitely been a year of hard work and adjustment, but I don't at all regret taking the time "off"; there are good parts and not-so-good parts about each season of life, and I just try to appreciate each season in turn.

Thanks for this topic. I'm a bit nervous, too. It's been ten years since undergrad (ack!) and seven since my teaching credential. I do feel like this time hasn't been wasted at all--after all, if I'm going to get a master's in education, I definitely feel like I have a more complete understanding of the educational system having worked in and with it as well as being a product of it. But while I have a lot of very useful field experience, I'm a bit worried about the academic writing--I haven't done any academic writing since my credential program (which was pretty fast and loose). Thank goodness for writing centers...

I've taken a year off and here are some of my observations:

1. Back when i was doing my engineering, i thought 'Man this is tough. I so want to start working now.' But believe you me, engineering was nothing compared to what you have to do at work.

2. Now That I go back to school, i'm actually relieved coz it will actually be 'Time off' , its bound to be easier than working full time. Plus when I get back to working, I will be respected even more for being a Graduate.

3. The 1 year off gave me a whole new perspective. As a student in undergrad, i was so involved in my own little world (girls, parties, gym) that I did not care to look at the so called ' real world '. Well now i can say, ' been there, done that'.

4. The 1 year i worked, i managed to save some money. It will help me with needing only small student loans. :lol:

All in all, I am very glad i took 1 year off. You mature 10X faster than what you would have done had you spent that year in school ! Ciao :)

I got my MA in 2002, when I was just 22 years old. All the other grad students were at least 10 years older than me, and I was a complete fish out of water. So I had the opposite problem! There they all were, sitting around talking critical theory and ex-husbands, and I had very little to contribute to a conversation. All my friends during this period were undergraduates or non-academics.

Now....it's been 9 years of the "real world" and lemme tell you, I got on my knees and thanked the powers that be that I got into a grad school!! It is a dream come true. I am a huge school nerd. I like studying. I hate the "real world" and the whole idea of working a 9 to 5 sends me into fits of anxiety. Just hand over the espresso and reinforced backpack, because it's back to school time, baby!!!

It has been almost exactly a year since I graduated, and my life in that year has fairly closely resembled the slacker paragon of tv and ho hos (except that it's video games and Pirate's Booty for me). I do think that I have made less of this time than I might have, and that is almost certainly due to the fact that my friends gave me a job after three months of fruitless anxiety on that front, so I really have not had to deal with looking for a job for too long or enduring a crappy retail/corporate position. I haven't been a total slacker - I've been reading in my field and I have a research assistantship which has whetted my appetite for grad school - but I lack a lot of the experiences that contribute to increased maturity. (I don't think I'm immature, per se, but I have yet to endure 9 to 5.)