Vanderbilt

sleepingdogmatist

I've been reading articles from faculty members at Vanderbilt, and I'm really liking what I'm reading. One of my undergrad professors advised me that my GRE numbers (700V - 97%, 6.0AW - 96%) might only be enough to get my application looked at but not seriously considered. I've got a pile of good references, a 3.93 GPA (although from a smaller state school, Marshall U.), an article getting published, several conferences on my CV, and a few awards for writing outside of my university. Any folks in the know with Vanderbilt that might be able to apprise me of my chances? I'm seriously considering trying to do work with Wittgenstein and philosophy of religion with the chair, Dr. Michael Hodges.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, especially info on what kinds of scores philosophy folks at Vandy have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hm...I also did okay on the verbal (710) and terrible on the math (too ashamed haha)...I am also from an obscure school and am also applying to Vandy. I wish they would get back to us already!!!

On 3/2/2011 at 6:44 PM, Lanaaa said:

Hm...I also did okay on the verbal (710) and terrible on the math (too ashamed haha)...I am also from an obscure school and am also applying to Vandy. I wish they would get back to us already!!!

They sent out their acceptances and waitlists a month ago (I got waitlisted). Last year when I applied, they took forever to send out rejections(I had to email the DGS to find out in mid March). That might be the case this year too.

And for what its worth, my GRE scores were 590 q/730 v/ 4.5 aw

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading articles from faculty members at Vanderbilt, and I'm really liking what I'm reading. One of my undergrad professors advised me that my GRE numbers (700V - 97%, 6.0AW - 96%) might only be enough to get my application looked at but not seriously considered. I've got a pile of good references, a 3.93 GPA (although from a smaller state school, Marshall U.), an article getting published, several conferences on my CV, and a few awards for writing outside of my university. Any folks in the know with Vanderbilt that might be able to apprise me of my chances? I'm seriously considering trying to do work with Wittgenstein and philosophy of religion with the chair, Dr. Michael Hodges.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, especially info on what kinds of scores philosophy folks at Vandy have.

Wow... sorry to be the bearer of bad news here. First, Hodges is not the department chair, Jeffrey Tlumak is (not that this should matter that much). Second, I don't think Hodges is taking any more graduate students. I was also interested in his work on the tractatus, but he hasn't taught a graduate seminar in a few years and I don't believe he plans to again. He might be willing to do an independent reading or two, but I don't think that is a good reason to come to a specific program.

That being said, the rest of the department is great. I'm in divinity, taking courses in philosophy grad, and everyone there is awesome, including the students. Also, I think your GRE is certainly enough to keep you in the pile of applications. I know of people who get rejected with scores better than you, and I've heard people get accepted with worse. Like with most places, the GRE won't get you in, but it can keep you out.