help with policy memo

splic

HKS and WWS both ask for a policy memo in which you identify a public policy problem and suggest solutions. Does anyone know how narrow a topic I can choose? What exactly are they looking for in the essay - the originality of the solution, or just the ability to write in a specific formal policy-like way?

You know I struggled with this very thing as I was writing my policy memo for Harvard and Princeton (in the end I decided not to apply to Harvard). It did not help that their guidelines are vague too since they don't say much. What I ended up doing was thinking about a concrete problem and writing very specific points on how to solve it.

To answer your question as to how specific, I would imagine you could get as specific as "Specific ways to combat homelessness in Central Park" or something like that. I would love to hear how others approached it.

I posted a thread asking if there were any former WWS admits around but there does not seem to be any. We will see how my logic for the memo pans out when admissions results roll in.

Good luck :)

I'm applying to WWS as well and have been putting this off. I'm not currently working in policy, so I don't have any concrete examples to work from. Also, I'm wonder how much research, etc. is required, or if they're just looking mainly for reasoning skills. That is, are they looking for concrete answers or just logical reasoning and proposed solutions?

I wrote to HKS asking them (a) whether the essay should be in the form of a memo (since the HKS form doesn't say), (B) how narrow a topic I can choose, and © whether the essay was looking for analytical skills or the feasibility of the proposed solution. Here's the reply I got:

"The policy essay does not need to be in memo form, but the majority of applicants submit in that form. This essay is one of the components that measures your analytical skills. I suggest choosing a topic that you personal and professional interest. "

That does not sound too different from the information Princeton gives. I figure like this. They only want so much information as you can not pack a lot into 3 or 4 pages. I think therefore narrowing it down to something very specific and going from there is important. That way you can give some background on the problem and propose some solutions and the benefits that will arise from them. You can not be too comprehensive in the allotted space, but it is manageable.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to people with experience in both WWS and KSG programs. About Princeton I was told that they are aware that not everyone has experience with policy issues. The most important thing is to give a problem and propose how you would solve it. There are no right answers in the solutions, but their feasibility is important. Harvard on the other hand has many applicants with some direct experience so they scrutinize the writing samples a bit harsher than Princeton.

In short, don't worry about formatting, worry plenty about content and real solutions to the problem you talk about. Do not include any unnecessary information in the memo. Hope this helps, but you likely already new this. I submitted my application Monday so we will see how it pans out when decisions roll in next year. Good luck :)

• 4 years later...

Hello All:)

Looks like there hasnt been any activity since 2008! I am trying to figure out the answer to the same one four years later:)

I'd be grateful if the alumni/current woody woo students (if they're around still!) can jog their memories and tell us applicants what they wrote about that got them in!!

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is a dense question, but what exactly is meant by "memo format"? Is this just referring to the straight-forward approach taken by business memos, in which a problem is identified and solutions are considered or proposed? Or is there something else special we are supposed to be doing?

• 2 weeks later...

If by memo format, they mean the policy memo format that I'm thinking of, then the formatting would go like this (from what I was taught in ISCOR): The paper is broken up into three sections. First, a page devoted to the background. Then, a half page devoted to the stakes, broken down further into military, econ, and political. A page for three options for the policy, and then another half page or so fleshing out your recommendation. When my professor taught us this, he really pushed using active writing for the memo to be able to include as much information as possible. Hopefully this helps, and if WWS is referring to a different kind of formatting then....nevermind :D