applying with a low gpa, help!

caro242

Hello everyone,

I am applying to grad programs this summer for the following spring. I have a fairly low gpa overall of 3.3 and a gpa in CSD of 3.45. I am looking for some easy schools around PA or the northeast. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to apply? I have lookied into different programs but I want to see if anyone had any advice on where to look or previous experience from where they were accepted. Please let me know. Thanks!

~Caro

Hi, Caro!

What are you GRE scores? I have friends who have 3.5-3.8 GPAs with GREs between 800-1000 that didn't get into any schools they applied to. They each applied to 5-8 schools; some were well know, some were lower ranked schools. The one thing I learned from this application season is that there is no such thing as a "safety/easy" school.

My biggest tip would be to do some research on ASHA's EdFinder and see the average GPA/GRE scores for every school in the states you're interested in (you can also check the results search here and look at stats but these are less official, obiviously). Then check out the websites of the schools you're interested in. Try to go to open houses and make connections with faculty. Start your SOP now and revise revise revise!! Also, make sure you have killer LORs. If you haven't taken the GRE yet, study as much as you can. Have you thought about retaking any classes to boost your GPA?

Bottom line: don't give up! This process is brutal but never let it stop you from following your passion. I have found this board to be so helpful and full of support. Good luck!

I would say that it depends on the rest of your application package. To echo the poster above and add to that:

- What do your GRE scores look like?

- How strong is your resume? Do you have any work, research, or volunteer experience applicable to your field?

- Do you have contacts at the universities where you're applying? I would schedule some time to do some campus visits and meet with professors at the universities you're looking at.

- Do you have people who can write STRONG letters of recommendation for you? Not "he/she" did well in my class - stronger than that.

And lastly, how you package everything together, plus your personal statement/statement of purpose will be the major factors in getting in or not.

Hi guys,

Thanks for responding. I have yet to take my GRE's I am taking them in May and probably again in july before they change the test. I want to volunteer or find a job related to csd this summer, but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful. I feel like most places don't want undergrads to volunteer or even shadow :( I have started my resume and I have great teachers to write LOR, but I just feel like I won't stand out when I apply.

Silly question: CSD= Com Sci & Dis, yes? Keep trying to find shadow/volunteer placements, don't give up! They are out there. It is very tough to stand out in this field because there are so many applicants. Apply to as many schools as you can afford to increase your chances. I'll keep you fingers crossed for you!

Hi,

I applied for Fall 2011 with a GPA lower than yours. I got into my top-choice school, along with half of the schools I applied to. I really think my GRE scores and my LORs made up for my low GPA. Also, I have research experience and volunteered/shadowed at a speech center for a while. Study hard for the GREs and look for relevant research/clinical experience. It is definitely do-able with a low GPA and excellent LORs and SOP. It's not JUST about GPA :)

Hello everyone,

I am applying to grad programs this summer for the following spring. I have a fairly low gpa overall of 3.3 and a gpa in CSD of 3.45. I am looking for some easy schools around PA or the northeast. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to apply? I have lookied into different programs but I want to see if anyone had any advice on where to look or previous experience from where they were accepted. Please let me know. Thanks!

~Caro

make sure you apply to schools that are varied in the rankings. It would not be a good idea to only apply to top schools. I don't really like to follow the rankings anyways, but many people do, so that might help give you some better chances. You can definitely get in with that GPA, as long as the rest of your application is strong. I didn't have the highest GPA or the highest GRE and I got in to a few progarms this year (I'm also international). You may want to spread your applications out more in the USA because judging from the SLP board for this application season, tons of people apply to the northeast! Perhaps going southeast wouldn't be too much of a stretch? Just an idea!

Do you mind my asking which programs you applied to?

Hi,

I applied for Fall 2011 with a GPA lower than yours. I got into my top-choice school, along with half of the schools I applied to. I really think my GRE scores and my LORs made up for my low GPA. Also, I have research experience and volunteered/shadowed at a speech center for a while. Study hard for the GREs and look for relevant research/clinical experience. It is definitely do-able with a low GPA and excellent LORs and SOP. It's not JUST about GPA :)

I'll be honest -- I thought I was pretty competitive.. I have the saaaame stats & I was rejected to every school that I applied to. 5 schools in NY 1 in GA and one in SD. I'm super depressed but I'm looking to do some volunteer work (but no one wants to take me on..) and I'm going to retake GREs & rewrite my SOP. I had volunteer experience teaching kids/adult classes and research experience. I'm still going to apply next year, no harm in trying.. but I'm going to check out other programs too.

Hello everyone,

~Caro

If you message me, I can tell you the list of schools I applied to :) Basically, I applied all over and did not limit myself to the northeast region (where it's really competitive), although I will end up going to school there this Fall. Also, as some people were saying in another post, there is no such thing as 'backup schools.' I applied with the mentality that I should apply to my 'top-choices' and some 'back-ups' just incase (mostly b/c of my low GPA). What happened was I ended up getting rejected to a lot of my 'back-up' schools and ended up getting into my top-choice school. So... my advice is to apply to schools that are "do-able" (check ASHA EdFind) AND, at the same time, schools to where you would realistically go to if accepted.

Do you mind my asking which programs you applied to?

• 1 month later...

I cant seem to send u a message. I'm applying to pa school and want to get in. What schools did u apply to? send me a message....Thank you so much! Can u forward me the name of school thank you!