Schools for MFA P:ainting/Drawing

Shouri

So I've been doing my own research for MFA programs in Painting, but I'm focusing too much on the majorly known and acclaimed. I wanted to post this and see if anyone has any school suggestions that aren't as obvious as say Yale, Columbia, or Tyler. Just so I can open eyes to other places and not feel so trapped. East coast preferably.

Listen, I just happened across these boards by accident tonight. I've been an academic in visual arts for over 20 years. I was just lurking around until I saw this.

Here's my advice (I give this to all my students interested in grad school).

The best art is being made in southern California. The best MFA program in the country right now (and statistically probably the most competitive) is UCLA. Others will have a different opinion, but particularly people whose perspective extends beyond New York will likely agree with me. At UCLA you could study with Lari Pittman, fer chrissake.

Do not go to Yale. Other than Robert Storr, the only thing going for them is their famous name. Their student work is dreadful. (Did you see the CAA regional MFA show this year? Abysmal work from Yale. It was the same 3 years prior.)

Columbia has an amazing list of faculty, but I have never, not once, seen a Columbia MFA in an academic position. Nor have I noticed their being successful in big shows like the Whitney Biennial.

Looking AWAY from the east coast will be good for your art. Getting away from the familiar and comfortable is important for your development.

Apply to a range of schools including fall-back schools that you're fairly confident of admission. Then go for whomever gives you the best deal. If you don't get funding, skip it.

Know WHY you want an MFA in painting. If you just want to be an artist, it's probably a waste of time and money (Terry Allen said that once.) If you want to be an academic, then opportunities for teaching experience are crucial. If you just want studio space in New York (like a friend of mine did), well, you're only looking for that.

Consider some lesser known but excellent schools in painting: University of Connecticut, University of Houston, University of North Texas (take a look at the faculty), Arizona State, Cal State Fullerton. University of Iowa has had some EXTREMELY successful grads in painting. In fact, that might be my second recommendation after UCLA, at least in painting. Virginia Commonwealth is now considered among the finest art schools in the country (although mostly known for sculpture, the halo effect extends to other media).

Get a copy of the CAA guide to graduate MFA programs and study it thoroughly.

Good luck, and unless you're totally committed, don't go to grad school.

What about London? RCA, Slade, Goldsmiths? I want to hear how painting specifically and also other programs are compared on a more global scale.

Listen, I just happened across these boards by accident tonight. I've been an academic in visual arts for over 20 years. I was just lurking around until I saw this.

The best art is being made in southern California. The best MFA program in the country right now (and statistically probably the most competitive) is UCLA. Others will have a different opinion, but particularly people whose perspective extends beyond New York will likely agree with me. At UCLA you could study with Lari Pittman, fer chrissake.

Do not go to Yale. Other than Robert Storr, the only thing going for them is their famous name. Their student work is dreadful. (Did you see the CAA regional MFA show this year? Abysmal work from Yale. It was the same 3 years prior.)

Columbia has an amazing list of faculty, but I have never, not once, seen a Columbia MFA in an academic position. Nor have I noticed their being successful in big shows like the Whitney Biennial.

Looking AWAY from the east coast will be good for your art. Getting away from the familiar and comfortable is important for your development.

Apply to a range of schools including fall-back schools that you're fairly confident of admission. Then go for whomever gives you the best deal. If you don't get funding, skip it.

Know WHY you want an MFA in painting. If you just want to be an artist, it's probably a waste of time and money (Terry Allen said that once.) If you want to be an academic, then opportunities for teaching experience are crucial. If you just want studio space in New York (like a friend of mine did), well, you're only looking for that.

Consider some lesser known but excellent schools in painting: University of Connecticut, University of Houston, University of North Texas (take a look at the faculty), Arizona State, Cal State Fullerton. University of Iowa has had some EXTREMELY successful grads in painting. In fact, that might be my second recommendation after UCLA, at least in painting. Virginia Commonwealth is now considered among the finest art schools in the country (although mostly known for sculpture, the halo effect extends to other media).

Depends on WHY you're going to grad school.

If you want to get into academe, I'd advise against England (or anywhere outside the U.S., except maybe Canada). It's too hard to find people here who understand foreign degrees, particularly in studio art. Most foreign programs are little known here (unlike art history programs).

Otherwise, I'd say to look up all the recent Turner Prize nominees and see where THEY went to school.

In most of the world studio art is not studied in an academic environment as it is here. It's only in art schools.

• 2 months later...

losemygrip, thanks for recommending Arizona State University. I'm a current MFA Painting student there, just finished my first year. Here's some info. about ASU. The painting facilities, Art Annex, are the best studio facilities on campus. They're really nice in comparison to what the sculpture students and other 3-Dimensional grads get to work in. The studios are nice sized, private, there's a lounge/computer room. ASU is a 3 year program. There are A LOT of opportunities to teach as a graduate student. In general each semester there are about 8 color theory classes, 8 2-D design classes, 5 drawing classes. They are really generous about letting graduate students teach for a couple years. Also, it is required that Grad students who teach 2-D, Color Theory, or 3-D design take an ArtCORE class which helps you to develop your teaching portfolio, communicate with other grads about teaching concerns/lessons.

To be fair, here's some things you should be aware of. Arizona doesn't have the greatest art scene. Scottsdale is alright and Grad students can visit the Phoenix Art Museum for free as well as Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA.) There are a few cool galleries in downtown Scottsdale. Other than that you might have to make a day trip to LA.

Here's some more detailed information about the painting program in particular. The faculty are committed to the discipline of painting in particular. Working in a cross-disciplinary approach can be a little challenging, however, with 7 full time painting faculty members there's almost definitely going to be a faculty member that you can mesh well with as it pertains to your work. Also, the entire painting faculty are AWESOME. They also emphasize craftsmanship quite a bit. They wont' let you make shoddy work that only has conceptual strengths. They will require your work to be sound conceptually as well as visually and tangibly.

Hope this info. helps prospective painting grads. Also, if you're ever interested in visiting ASU please call the art department. We'd love to open our studios to who ever is interested and show you around to see if it's a good fit for you.

PS, it's always sunny here. CHEERS!

• 1 month later...

I like the recommendations OUTSIDE of the typical and AWAY from the east coast. God, what a breath of fresh air! I have been looking at some of the schools you mentioned. Very valid points as to what you want out of a grad program, studio space, instruction, connections, experience teaching... I am looking for a painting program and I don't care if it's Egypt or Minnesota, I just want a good program, with a committed passionate instructor base.

I have heard so many perspectives on this topic. I just talked to a friend who TA'd through his entire degree and that covered his tuition. However, he complained he didn't have enough time to paint. I have heard to people who have gone to one of the big name schools and come out "with nothing." Really seek what you want and where you want it.

MFA's have turned into an industry. Think about it, how many people are churned out each year with an MFA and are doing something with it?! This is big business and big money. I have seen a lot of crap art and mediocre art come out of "good" places...

Myself, I want a grad school that will push my work to the next level. Therefore I am looking for a reputable program with killer instructors in the aesthetic that I want to push. All that I can do from there is pray and have a good back up plan :-)

If you don't know what you want, maybe you shouldn't apply yet...

• 6 years later...
4 hours ago, color_aid said:

Does anyone have more recent information good MFA programs outside of the usual suspects?

Hey! Just randomly saw this, and thought I'd respond. Take this with a grain of salt, though - I am fresh out of undergrad, and just got accepted into grad schools for this Fall. 

So I started researching grad schools when I was a sophomore in undergrad, and my "top" schools changed monthly. Your'e probably already doing this, but keep in mind that big name schools are great and all, but the school needs to be a good fit for you specifically.

I applied to 5 schools (details in signature below). Personally, and I guess I am biased because I accepted the offer, I would heavily consider looking at Miami University in Oxford, OH. Their program is small, so you'll get a ton of 1-on-1 time with the professors who are all pretty great. Look up Dana Saulnier. He's a tenured professor of painting there. The campus is pretty large, but based in a very small town (the campus is basically the entire town). However, it's honestly so beautiful. The town definitely has its perks, and it feels like a true college town (bars, coffee shops, etc.) Each grad student gets a huge studio space (closed ceilings & door that locks). Honestly, the best thing this program has to offer is the financial aid - I think it depends on the current size of the graduate class, but every grad student gets full tuition remission, a stipend, and a TA position for both years. The teaching experience will be extremely valuable to me because I want to eventually be a professor. 

If I were applying next year, I would also look into Indiana University (Bloomington). This was my top choice, but unfortunately their applications were closed for this upcoming Fall because they were renovating their painting facilities. They should be done with construction by next application season, though. I definitely recommend it - their faculty are fantastic (look up Eve Mansdorf & Tim Kennedy)

Also: not really sure about how much they offer for funding, but check out the University of Washington. This was another one of my top choices, but they denied my application. The painting faculty are great there.

Let me know if you have any questions! The application process definitely took a lot out of me, so I'm happy to help others with it!

Thanks cme000! I'll definitely give Miami University a look.

I actually went to IU Bloomington for undergrad. So while I personally wouldn't consider going back for grad school, I can definitely confirm that it's a very solid painting program. Eve and Tim are great teachers. I'd also have to mention Caleb Weintraub for anyone else who's considering IU.

I've actually heard some pretty discouraging things about UW,  but that was from a few years ago. There was a lengthy thread about it a few years ago. Does anyone know how accurate that still is?

While I'm at it, does anyone know anything about University of Minnesota?

University of Michigan?

University of Wisconsin-Madison?

University of Iowa?

Tulane?

University of Houston?

Cornell?

Cranbrook?

Or any where else that I may be missing.