NSF GRFP

timuralp

Except for that day when the site "went down for repairs", and came back up at 2am with the list of first round winners...

yeah, there was that day, and it was also a Thursday, and the list came up on a Friday morning .... I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up for a tomorrow resolution to this!

I just spoke with a representative at the GRFP operations center and she said that the only way they'll announce awards tomorrow is if we reach 200 posts on this forum. Better get crackin!

I just spoke with a representative at the GRFP operations center and she said that the only way they'll announce awards tomorrow is if we reach 200 posts on this forum. Better get crackin!

Haha. Here is one from me!

LOL ... we are way past 200 posts (185 pages times 15 posts per page is well over 2700 posts), we are working up to 200 pages.

It is my wish (this is number 2 on the list, you can all guess what number one is) that since the budget has been approved, they would change the estimated date on the website and say something to the effect of, "The budget has been approved and we are finalizing the number of fellowships we will be offering. Announcements will me made soon." To me this is more in keeping with the "you'll know when we know" mantra we keep hearing. But I'd settle for wish number one instead.

i'll buy a vowel, mr. trebek, for 1475.

1475 = my wager for total number of awards for 2009. of course, i'm terrible at solving those dang puzzles. look, appropriations have been made, awards may be imminent... this is a but a distraction, as is reading public law text. sure, potatosack may be full of potatoes, but the joy of the interweb is anonymity.

winner (nearest #) gets an email from the grfp.

this was my bet. what is yours?

it seems reasonable to guess the announcements are tonight. even if not, it has to happen at some point - so no harm no foul. what does imminent really mean anyway?

I am no longer able to imagine a life in which I am not waiting for an answer from the NSF, so I'm going to guess that they'll notify about 90% of the limbo crowd tonight, leaving about 200 applicants in a state of extended limbo.

If you were in charge wouldn't you?

I would encourage students to support a cause that they believe in, and make a difference where they can.

I wouldn't advocate setting it up so all your incoming grad students get set up in the same outreach program. Thats just highschool all over again, where no one actually cares about waht they are doing, they are just going through the motions.

Finding outreach projects that fit my goals and interest me has been pretty rewarding. Encourage students to do it, yes. Encourage ALL grad students to apply for the NSF GRFP, yes. Give them prepackaged broader impacts activities? Hell no.

Hahah, I have *way* too many research goals. This is one of.......many.

Join the club. I am coming to terms with the idea that I can't know everything in my field, settling for a handful of things I want to research the most, and letting the others wait for a postdoc. I am an eternal optimist.

i'll buy a vowel, mr. trebek, for 1475.

Okay, I'm in. I'll wager 400 additional awards, making a total of 1350. That would be about the halfway mark between last year and next year's projected award totals.

Can it be tomorrow morning now?

pick a number, any number.

but what are the odds?

another 200 awards (200 in 2000 limbo = 10% maybe) or (500 in 2000 = 25% maybe)

or are there mitigations to consider- (how are the additional awards doled out?)

directorates and divisions have different sized packages, and may give out #s of awards? like the women in computer and engineering program?

will additional #s come from fields of study, and simply be the next highest rated proposal not funded in the first cycle?

is it seniors v seniors, first yr v first yr, second v second?

what are the 'other factors' - highschool location, URMs, what else?

pick a number, any number.

but what are the odds?

another 200 awards (200 in 2000 limbo = 10% maybe) or (500 in 2000 = 25% maybe)

or are there mitigations to consider- (how are the additional awards doled out?)

directorates and divisions have different sized packages, and may give out #s of awards? like the women in computer and engineering program?

will additional #s come from fields of study, and simply be the next highest rated proposal not funded in the first cycle?

is it seniors v seniors, first yr v first yr, second v second?

what are the 'other factors' - highschool location, URMs, what else?

I wonder if they'll consider begging, groveling and pleading as a factor. If so, I'm all over that.

I would encourage students to support a cause that they believe in, and make a difference where they can.

I wouldn't advocate setting it up so all your incoming grad students get set up in the same outreach program. Thats just highschool all over again, where no one actually cares about waht they are doing, they are just going through the motions.

Finding outreach projects that fit my goals and interest me has been pretty rewarding. Encourage students to do it, yes. Encourage ALL grad students to apply for the NSF GRFP, yes. Give them prepackaged broader impacts activities? Hell no.

I totally agree with you.

I keep doing this horrible thing to myself where I oscillate back and forth between being sure that I'm going to win one and being sure I'm not. Right now I think I might get one....in twenty minutes I will remember that funding for monkeys kinda sucks.

I keep doing this horrible thing to myself where I oscillate back and forth between being sure that I'm going to win one and being sure I'm not. Right now I think I might get one....in twenty minutes I will remember that funding for monkeys kinda sucks.

I've already celebrated my HM. I just wish I didn't have to explain it to people. Although I'm pretty sure my parents don't understand that HM here is a bit diff than HM at the county science fair. lol

"Well the best we can say right now is a 1 in 2 chance ...it's a 50-50 chance. If you have something that can happen and something that won't necessarily happen, it's gonna either happen or it's gonna not happen. So best guess is 1 in 2"