NSF GRFP

timuralp

What puzzles me is how would you know if your department got the list, especially since today is a Saturday. Also, I talked to some faculty in my department who used to be reviewers for NSF and they said that departments do not get these lists until they are released by the NSF.

Well, some people are really chummy with their departments.

If my department got the list, I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked to some advisers early.

Around here Saturday is catch up day, there are always some grad students and faculty around.

But, we are speculating on a couple of words. What else are we going to do with our time :cry:

You would know if you were referring to the department you're currently working at, not the one you're currently studying at. Said poster is applying for a PhD in one field, but is currently working for a department in a different field, and might even be the contact person that NSF would send the results to.

You would know if you were referring to the department you're currently working at, not the one you're currently studying at. Said poster is applying for a PhD in one field, but is currently working for a department in a different field, and might even be the contact person that NSF would send the results to.

It would be nice to hear from the referred poster himself in regards to his position in his department/university. However, I highly doubt that an NSF contact person would be blogging about the list, for the simple reason that if someone in NSF found out about his activity he would be relieved of his responsibilities, as he is not allowed to disclose this information.

I don't know how you know this, but it is absolutely correct. And I am the contact person for the NSF in my department.

It would be nice to hear from the referred poster himself in regards to his position in his department/university. However, I highly doubt that an NSF contact person would be blogging about the list, for the simple reason that if someone in NSF found out about his activity he would be relieved of his responsibilities, as he is not allowed to disclose this information.

I don't think anyone at the NSF would care that I told people that I had access to a sublist for a specific field...

I don't know how you know this, but it is absolutely correct. And I am the contact person for the NSF in my department.

I remembered from a few months back in the public chat thing that got set up for people here.

Grow up. What was the point of telling people you have the "list" if you won't tell anyone about it? People like you disgust me.

He/she only has a list for a field... that is a pretty small number of people. He was probably asked not to share it publicly, so it would be really easy to figure out who did it if they found out he did. Go easy on the guy. I'd do the same in his place, except I maybe wouldn't have posted on here to begin with...

Grow up. What was the point of telling people you have the "list" if you won't tell anyone about it? People like you disgust me.

The point is we know that there is a finalized list (at least for that discipline) and that hopefully things will be moving along now.

I am assuming that you have been the contact person for NSF before. Typically how long before the release date do you receive the list? Do you expect a Monday release or is there usually a long delay between getting the list early and the release date?

yeah right

i can say im the chairman of the nsf and you all are gonna believe that too?

Give him a break.

He doesn't have anything to gain by lying.

I appreciate any news, thanks.

I think at this point people are so desperate and some folks like to take advantage of that just to stir things up or cause hysteria so that people keep calling NSF to pressure them to release the list. If its not up by tomorrow that's what's gonna happen, because now we 'know' that some departments have it.

On another note, a friend of a friend who applied this year got a notice that he didnt get it. I dont know how he found out, but I dont think this was one of those incomplete/ineligible applications that got rejections in March. I know his advisor very well and I think they did everything to be as competitive as they could be on the application.