Is MFA equivalent to PhD

PhDier

What is the grade MFA (Master of Fine Arts)? Is it Equivalent to PhD? I am a postgraduate in visual arts, but do't know if MFA equals PhD. Can you help me answer the question. I am currently out of the USA, and would like to study in the USA. I already had an MA in visual arts, but most departments of visual arts do not offer PhD, they instead offer MFA. Colleagues; your answer will help me take the right decision.

No, an MFA is not the same as a Ph.D., but depending on what you do, you may not need a Ph.D. If you do writing, there are Ph.D. in creative writing programs. If you do stuff with visual media, I'm not really sure if there are Ph.D. programs specific to that. Maybe post this in the visual arts forum and see what kind of feedback you get. Good luck!

An MFA is art! A PhD cannot be an art program it can be something art academic like art critique or art history but it cannot be about doing art. So it is equivalent in the sense that it is the highest degree in actually doing art. Academically an MFA is not exactly a PhD but not an MA either.

So to be clear:

MFA=Doing art such as illustration, drawing, theater, interior design, etc..

PhD=Art critique, art history, the impact of renaissance culture on the evolution of art in Europe or something like that. So it would be more like a social science sort of thing.

I think many professors in fine arts have MFA's not PhD's but please double check that.

If you love art do the MFA, if you love blabbering about do the PhD :).

cheers!

The distinction between the MFA and the PhD is the nature of the work you undertake. Namely, the MFA is a studio degree (largely based on creating your own art/writing/etc.) while the PhD has a stronger research component.

Some disciplines, such as fine art, consider the MFA a terminal degree and a qualification for teaching. Other disciplines, like creative writing, are more and more turning to candidates with PhDs.

You absolutely CAN receive a Doctoral degree in music called a DM, which is different than a PhD. I am sure there are some universities that offer degrees or certificates higher than an MFA for fine art. For example, after receiving a master's in music performance, (MM), you can receive an Artist's Diploma or other degrees. Investigate further. I am sure you can get more education beyond an MFA.

As others have stated, they aren't equivalent.

However, some schools in the US are now trying to develop a PhD in the visual arts. It's quite a controversial topic right now (and the general opinion is that it's a bad idea). If you're interested, you can read more about the new visual arts PhD and more traditional visual arts degrees in a book called Art School: Propositions for the 21st Century. It's an interesting read--I would recommend it to both visual artists and historians.