iPad apps for dummies

fuzzylogician

I just got myself a new iPad (it's so pretty!) but I'm not normally a mac user so I'm not familiar with all the apps out there. Which apps would you recommend for a beginner like me? So far I've got dropbox installed and I'm looking for a good pdf reader. What else should I have installed? Anything other advice for how best to use this device? Thanks!

I just got myself a new iPad (it's so pretty!) but I'm not normally a mac user so I'm not familiar with all the apps out there. Which apps would you recommend for a beginner like me? So far I've got dropbox installed and I'm looking for a good pdf reader. What else should I have installed? Anything other advice for how best to use this device? Thanks!

Well, I haven't started my program with it yet, so my iPad hasn't gone through 'academic testing', but in the few months I've had it, there are a number of apps I've tried. I use goodreader for rrading pdfs, and it's done everything I've wanted so far. You probably want a good note taking app: I downloaded Notetaker HD, but it doesn't seem very responsive, and it's hard to imagine taking notes quickly and effectively with it. I'm kind of thinking it's a problem with my iPad, which is a used original iPad. If you have an iPad 2, it probably works better. Apple has its own productivity apps, e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, but I haven't bought them yet. I've mostly been using it for non-academic purposes, so others can probably be of more help. A few general apps I like: the kindle and ibooks apps, star walk, atomic web browser (for tabbed browsing).

There's a good post on the CHE forums in the tech section on iPad apps.

Goodreader and Zen Reader are both good for PDFs. PDF Expert is supposed to be the best, but it's more expensive.

I use Notetaker HD to take notes in seminars, and it's pretty good.

I also use Keynote, the mac equivalent of PowerPoint to give presentations with a VGA adapter.

Something I do is go on appshoper.com and get random games when they are free. Not productive, but rather fun. Also got some rather useful apps that way.

myConvert - rather useful as it converts almost anything.

• 1 month later...

Bump

Fyi: Noterize for iPad is now Free (as of today at least), down from its previous price of $3.99. It offers great PDF highlight/annotate support and even audio recording for lectures.

Bump

Fyi: Noterize for iPad is now Free (as of today at least), down from its previous price of $3.99. It offers great PDF highlight/annotate support and even audio recording for lectures.

thanks for the noterize tip! i just downloaded it and i like it more than neu.annotate :) easier to use and more features!

thanks for the noterize tip! i just downloaded it and i like it more than neu.annotate :) easier to use and more features!

Anytime! I was unlucky enough to get it when it was still $4, but it's paid dividends. I have both GoodReader and Noterize and see myself using Noterize a lot more nowadays.