Is 1290 a bad GRE score?

ayta16

Hi,

I completed my GRE test and was devastated to see my score. I got 1290 :angry:. I worked really hard and my practice score were always more than 1300. Anyways, I always dreamed of getting into CMU's MCF program. Is my dream shattered due to my low GRE score? Could someone please tell me :(

Here's my profile

GRE 580 v and 710 Q( i was expecting more than 770)

UG: Bachelors Information Technology (top 5 percentile in college and topper in second year)

Work Ex: I just graduated so I have no work experience

I am an intern in a worldwide known Television news channel (Marketing)

I am going to publish a novel that I wrote.

i can also get good recommendations and provide a good sop

What are my chances of getting into CMU tepper

other universities

1. USC MS in finance

2. NYU Ms in management and systems

3. Columbia MFE

Do i have any chance of getting into any of these schools. Please advice

It's not my field, but a cursory glance at CMU's program website offers average scores for admitted students (http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/master-in-computational-finance/admissions/faq/index.aspx#average):

581 Verbal / 792 Quantitative

Keep in mind, that is the average, not the minimum recommendation or anything like that.

There's always going to be a range of scores, although they do state that the "MSCF program is highly quantitative." It's only one aspect of your application - if you can prove to the admissions committee that your quantitative scores aren't indicative of your ability, it may not be a big deal. I'd wager your GPA and relevant undergraduate major may help you in that regard; however, CMU does state the average student also has 2.6 years of professional experience.

Check the other program websites and see if they provide average scores. If not, you can always send them an e-mail.

Thank for your reply.

I did check out the other colleges, all of them requiring 750+ in quants for the finance course :(

So i'm gonna try for a different course like Manangement and systems from NYU-SCPS (though i dont know if that's a good option)

It's not my field, but a cursory glance at CMU's program website offers average scores for admitted students (http://www.tepper.cm...ex.aspx#average):

581 Verbal / 792 Quantitative

Keep in mind, that is the average, not the minimum recommendation or anything like that.

There's always going to be a range of scores, although they do state that the "MSCF program is highly quantitative." It's only one aspect of your application - if you can prove to the admissions committee that your quantitative scores aren't indicative of your ability, it may not be a big deal. I'd wager your GPA and relevant undergraduate major may help you in that regard; however, CMU does state the average student also has 2.6 years of professional experience.

Check the other program websites and see if they provide average scores. If not, you can always send them an e-mail.

I did check out the other colleges, all of them requiring 750+ in quants for the finance course :(

So i'm gonna try for a different course like Manangement and systems from NYU-SCPS (though i dont know if that's a good option)

What about taking GRE again? There is still time. You can study for it and then take another shot in August-September.

if i take up gre again, i have to follow the new pattern :(. I don't wanna waste my time, I've got a lot of work. :angry: Am just gonna take up the next best university, simon (rochester) and a few other universities admit students having a score less than mine. So am gonna try those schools :lol:

What about taking GRE again? There is still time. You can study for it and then take another shot in August-September.