Throwing my hat in the ring. Any Boston applicants?

MattMedia

I took my GRE today. It didn't go swimmingly, but could have been worse.

I pulled a 620 verbal/630 quantitive. I'd estimate my essays at 5-5.5 range.

I'm looking for schools in the Boston area with PhD programs. I've looked around quite a bit, and have been surprised to find that almost all of them are incredibly competitive. Currently, I'm looking at the following schools:

Harvard (I know. But this is America. I have every right to believe I'm a super-genius despite any evidence)

Boston College (My top choice, really)

Boston University

Clark (Worcester! Alright, alright!)

and UMass Boston (MA program if I fail to get into any above PhDs)

I feel pretty good about UMass, obviously. I feel less than stellar about Harvard. BC, BU and Clark seem totally achievable to me, though.

I have excellent letters of recommendation from notable scholars within the Boston history community, I've been working for a historical organization since I graduated in 2005, and I'm confident in the writing sample I'm working on. I know that a GRE score isn't a make-or-break thing, but is 620 too low? I went to a second- or third-tier school, depending on who you ask, but ranked 40ish in the Northeast, where I earned a 3.73 GPA (3.85 within department). I read on PhDs.org that BC's history dept. average is 660, so I'm not so far off.

Are there any people here who have applied to these schools? What are your thoughts?

GRE scores aside, I am going to ask you a few important questions. Your answers will certainly help me and few old-timers to steer you in the right direction.

1) Why Boston?

2) What is your research interest?

3) What do you intend on doing with your PhD?

4) How much are you willing to sacrifice to get the PhD?

people don't pick PhD programs based on the city they want to live in. they pick PhD programs based on what regional and thematic subfields that program specializes in. if you want to study medieval europe, you should go to a school that's great at medieval europe, not to a school in boston because they accepted you.

at best, people manage to stay near the general regions they want to be in. aiming to stay in new england is a very reasonable goal for a PhD student in any subfield. aiming to stay in boston is not. pardon my french, but that's not how this shit works.

I want to go to school in the Boston area because I live in Boston and relocating would be difficult because I'm married and my wife has a job. I've been told by multiple advisors that that's not unreasonable and two of them even recommended it.

I'm interested in going for American history in the 20th century. My specific interest is social and cultural life in American during WWII. This is one of the reasons BC is so appealing. All the schools I listed have people who have done work in this period, but BC's faculty has one professor who's work particularly stands out to me.

I'd like to teach on the collegiate level eventually. I'm also interested in writing books. Currently, I am under contract to write a book for a history imprint and I've already contributed to a college textbook.

As for what I'm "willing to give up," I'm certainly aware of the rigors of a program, and I am willing and able. That said, I can't be dragging my wife to somewhere where she doesn't have a job.

StrangeLight's being a little cranky. But what she said is why I asked you those questions. ;)

Since you are in 20th century America, it's not unreasonable to want to stay within Northeast if you don't care too much about where you get your PhD. You can expand your search to UMASS-Amherst, CT, and RI, Albany, and maybe NYC. NYC and CT have good job markets compared to a lot of other places. Unfortunately, in this economy, people are underwater with mortgages and working spouses. While the PhD stipend is challenging to live on for just the two of you, you could save up a bit to have some money right now (assuming you'll get in somewhere) until your wife can find a new job in a new town. It's a thought and I've seen some situations here on this board. It all comes down to you and your wife setting priorities.

I should suggest that you can look at Indiana University- they have several Americanists who do WWII. Those are tough to find!

But if you stay within Northeast and don't care where you get your PhD, the likelihood is definitely higher than your job market search will be limited to that region. It's just an hierarchy and connections thing.

Best of luck to you!

PS- You don't need a PhD in history to write a book.

I actually think it's totally reasonable to pick a program based on geographic preference. I don't want to spend the next five years in some depressing town, you know? Research is important, but it's certainly not my entire life.

With that said, there are some things you should be aware of. Even though you fit in at BC based on their GRE/GPA requirements and the strength of their faculty, it's difficult to get into because of how small their incoming cohort is. I wouldn't call BC a safety... I want to say they accept maybe 5-6 funded PhD's out of like 100+ applicants. The funding situation at BU is really miserable, and you should NOT pay for a PhD in history. The only reason why I would suggest retaking the GRE is if you're going to try to compete for a funded position at a school like that, where GRE/GPA can actually determine your funding. I know all this because I, too, really want to live in Boston... but it's just not a fit for me :( :( :(

Don't let any of this discourage you! It sounds like you have an extremely strong resume. Good luck with everything ;)

I got full funding at BU with a 1300 GRE and 3.9 GPA. The department does try to take care of its students financially, from what I can tell. Many of the students are TAs. For those that don't have funding, tuition is ~45,000 a year, which is incredibly steep! Don't take out loans to go there (or anywhere, really).

• 2 weeks later...

MattMedia here, signing in via Facebook. I can't get my username to work, it won't recognize it for some reason.

At any case, I'm certainly not planning on paying for a PhD. It's a total dealbreaker for me.

I'm willing to get (and pay for) an MA if I have to, but again, I'm sticking around here. It's home right now, bottom line.

I have to say to the above user who discouraged me earlier, you've literally given advice directly opposite to the advice I've been given by every single academic I've talked to. Every one of them has recommended I stay in the area, without exception, so forgive me for dismissing your advice.

As for the rest of you, I appreciate the feedback. I know it's an uphill battle.

BC is not a "safety." Forgive me for suggesting that. I mean that it's the place I'm applying to that seems feasible. Harvard is an incredible longshot. BU has a reputation articulated by other users. BC has the funding I want and is the level I want. I'm not sure I'll get in, but I feel pretty good about my prospects. I'm also applying to Clark and UMass-Boston (that's my actual safety, MA). BC and BU are more my "feasibles." There are scholars at both places I feel really good about working with prospectively, whereas at Tufts and Brandeis, for example, I sort of came up empty.

• 6 months later...
I took my GRE today. It didn't go swimmingly, but could have been worse. I pulled a 620 verbal/630 quantitive. I'd estimate my essays at 5-5.5 range. I'm looking for schools in the Boston area with PhD programs. I've looked around quite a bit, and have been surprised to find that almost all of them are incredibly competitive. Currently, I'm looking at the following schools: Harvard (I know. But this is America. I have every right to believe I'm a super-genius despite any evidence)

May I ask what you ended up doing or are you still in holding process? Also, why do you think you have no shot at Harvard?

I may be in a somewhat similar situation - I need to stay in the Boston area because my partner was recently offered his dream job (University tenure-track position) nearby. I went against the advice of ALL my advisors, who repeatedly told me to apply widely. I'm applying to English and Medieval Studies PhD programs at BC and BU (and yes, Harvard) as well, and possibly UMass Boston for an MA. However, in deciding where I was going to apply, I probably consulted mapquest and the Amtrak website just as often as the program websites, since we are hoping that if I don't get into a program IN Boston, I could potentially commute (and those Acela trains are really fast!). Taking into consideration that it wouldn't be a 5 day per week commute, and the fact that my partner only has to be on campus 2 days per week, UMass Amherst, UConn, and Brown would be reasonable (if only I could get in...) - but we are also considering relocating to Worchester or somewhere. Not sure if this is feasible for you and your wife, but a not-so-drastic relocation is something to consider.

As far as your chances go, I know nothing - I'm terrified about all this! I would think that your recent research experience (and possibly some local contacts?) would be a huge plus. I got the same GRE verbal score and a considerably lower quantitative score, attended a nationally ranked (top 75) public university, completed an undergraduate honors thesis and finished my BA with a 3.6 overall GPA, 3.7 in my field, and I had full professors encouraging me to apply to Ivies... BUT there are a few gaps in my undergraduate record, and I have a weak background in foreign languages. Hopefully I have a shot at BC and BU. Hopefully you do too - I understand the stress of trying to stay in Boston area. It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one limited geographically - I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of everyone who can decide where to apply for the "right" reasons, but really, New England - and Boston in particular - is NOT a bad place to be if you're an academic! Good Luck!

Edited by Isidore

I got the same GRE verbal score and a considerably lower quantitative score, attended a nationally ranked (top 75) public university, completed an undergraduate honors thesis and finished my BA with a 3.6 overall GPA, 3.7 in my field, and I had full professors encouraging me to apply to Ivies... BUT there are a few gaps in my undergraduate record, and I have a weak background in foreign languages.

Isidore, I have a couple of questions for you: what rankings were you using (is there even a standard for the rankings?) and if you don't mind me asking, how significant of a foreign language background does one generally require? Thanks

I was just referring to the US News and World Report rankings (these are probably the most widely referenced, if any sort of "ranking" is referenced at all. I don't think there is any "standard," or that it would matter incredibly much) - I never pay much attention to these things, but people have been trying to reassure me in various ways, (which is impossible during this terrible waiting period) and some seem to think that the reputation of your undergraduate institution counts more than I'd considered. Again, I feel like these opinions are being offered in order to placate me to some degree, as I'm crazily stressed over getting in somewhere; obviously the writing sample and personal statement are the most important - and weighty - elements of an application, and I'm hoping that the 15-20 page portion I hacked out of my thesis as a writing sample and my SOP (most difficult writing task I've ever undertaken!) will at least get the attention of an admissions committee or two.

As far as foreign languages are concerned, every English PhD program I've looked at requires reading knowledge of at least 2, and in many cases 3, foreign languages. These requirements are part of the program itself, so while not many schools have strict requirements or minimums for admission, you are expected to complete the requirements (usually) within the first 2-3 years of study. Having at least some kind of undergraduate background would obviously be of some help. My undergraduate advisors stressed the importance of foreign languages if I decided to pursue graduate study - since medieval literature is my focus, it is immensely important that I become proficient in Latin, and French/German/Italian/Greek would help as well. Again, I don't pretend to know anything, but one of my advisors mentioned that foreign language background may very well be a category by which schools make initial cuts of applicants.

Thank you very much for that! As far as the rankings thing go, I kind of assumed you were using the USN&WR but I didn't want to be presumptiuous. I do wish there was a standard ranking used across the board because a lot of average state schools will jockey to claim they are a top tier school but according to one of the various rankings, they are barely in the middle of the pack.