Best Political Science MA programs

Seriously considering the program as I am looking to transition my career into a government organisation such as the World Bank, IMF, UN, etc

An MA in PS both covers my personal interests and a good prospective career.

What would you say ought to be the schools I should target?

Would an MA in political science really help your career prospects? It's my understanding that most terminal master's programs in political science are designed as stop-gaps to doctoral studies. Public policy and international affairs MA's (like those of the APSIA schools) are considered to be the way to go to enhance career prospects. A good compromise MA program is the University of Chicago's Committee on International Relations (CIR), which lets you custom design your coursework and generally sends the majority of its grads into the work force.

I don't know about Pitt's connections but I doubt they could be stronger than the schools in DC. So that's Hopkins SAIS, Georgetown, and American. Of course Harvard's Kennedy School is top flight, along with Princeton's Wilson school. Maybe look into SIPA at Columbia or even GPIA at New School if you want to be closer to the UN.

• 4 weeks later...

There are essentially no terminal MA programs in political science. Given your objectives you are looking for public policy or international affairs programs.

Well, yes and no. There are lots of terminal MA programs in political science, at places like Purdue, Temple, Virginia Tech, etc. Essentially none of them are at top departments. They are useful for people who went to really no-name undergrad institutions or performed very badly there to show that they can do graduate work and move up the food chain to PhD programs. I teach at a place with both terminal MA and PhD programs. I don't think an MA program like ours would help the OP, but it might be relevant to some people.

What about the MIT program? They have an MA. McGill also have a program. Anyone aware of their reputations?

I also like the look of the MA in Humanities at Chicago. It seems to have good depth and breadth too!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm entering my second year at Korbel in the International Studies program. Fantastic school despite its remoteness from either 'big name' universities or major policy centers. The school has a definite professional slant, with terminal MA programs in Global Finance, Trade and Economics, Global Health, International Human Rights, and International Security. But for those few of us who dream of the ivory tower, the International Studies program offers a great deal of flexibility when it comes to designing more academic courses of study. For example, my concentration is in Middle Eastern politics and history with an emphasis on religion/state relations. It's wasn't offered as a specific concentration, I just made it up. The best part is that professors there want to help you as much as they can in furthering your career options. I work with Prof. Nader Hashemi, a ME politics whiz kid, and have had help and support all the way.

Definitely include the school on your short list. If Korbel was good enough for Condoleeza, it's good enough for you!

The New School also has a nice MA in Politics for those with strong interests in political theory and ethnography. Columbia also offers an MA in political science and more professional MAs through SIPA - The School of International and Public Affairs. And to the Korbel booster: if the Bush administration and the Iraq war was good enough for Condoleeza, then it's good enough for you too!

Hadnt considered Korbel despite hearing good things. Not keen on Denver to be honest due to its location. I think for me, it would be better to be near or in a big city for internships.

So far I have:

MIT

McGill

Toronto

NYU

Chicago

I'm not keen on a PhD as I think I would like to work rather then teach. Anyone with any more insight?

• 2 weeks later...

Most phd programs will grant you a masters somewhere along the way. I got one at the conclusion of my second year. It also wasn't uncommon for students at my graduate school to figure out the phd wasn't for them and to leave after the masters. The generic "apply broadly to both types of programs and take the best deal (factoring in program quality, stipend, etc.)" advice makes sense here I think. Also, FWIW, I've found that teaching is much smaller part of this job than I anticipated when I applied to graduate school.

Edited by BrunoPuntzJones

A terminal masters from a PhD program will not help you much, except to the extent that you're applying for a job where they require an MA but don't really care what it was in (which is true for some government jobs and policy jobs). But a good policy MA program will give you much more relevant training and, as important, a link into an alumni network that can get you internships and later jobs.