Now a PhD... Should I mention my MS?

mechengr2000

When I send out very formal emails and letters, if its the first time I am in contact with someone, I include a signature that stays

my title e.g. phd student researcher

the name of the university e.g. university of X

my office "address" e.g. Smith Hall Room 555

email and phone number

e.g.

John Smith

PhD Student Researcher

University of X

Smith Hall, Room 555

555-555-5555

john@smith.edu

--

I have extensive research experience (5 years) and have completed an MS with Research Thesis at a different school. (I recently started my PhD here). I have noticed if I dont mention this to people, I am treated like someone who does not have this experience. For this reason, I was thinking of mentioning it in my signature as follows:

John Smith

PhD Student Researcher

University of X

Smith Hall, Room 555

MS Thesis, University of Y

555-555-5555

john@smith.edu

--------

What are your thoughts? Is this the right way to approach the problem? If not, what is a better way to approach the problem stated above?

Thank you!

Edited by mechengr2000

This is really country-specific. In Latin America, I've found that there's a lot of respect given to those with degrees and people will even list "BA" or "BS" after their names. I tend to list my MA when corresponding professionally or with students. Here's an example:

Rising Star, M.A.

PhD student

X University

I think if it's for professional correspondence, "Name, M.S" looks fine. But then you get people who use the same email sig for everything, and who use their university email address socially. And it does look pretentious if you're sending email inviting your friends to come over to your house for beers and a movie this weekend and you have your job title and your master's degree and so on listed.

This might vary by country, but I wouldn't bother putting that your MS involved a thesis, in your email sig.

I think if it's for professional correspondence, "Name, M.S" looks fine. But then you get people who use the same email sig for everything, and who use their university email address socially. And it does look pretentious if you're sending email inviting your friends to come over to your house for beers and a movie this weekend and you have your job title and your master's degree and so on listed.

This might vary by country, but I wouldn't bother putting that your MS involved a thesis, in your email sig.

I tend to agree, not everyone will think that, but enough people might for you to take the extra 1 sec to not leave your signature in every email

I think a good rule of thumb is, only put your credentials in when the recipient would ask you about these credentials if you didn't provide it. also, this is just my opinion, if its an email that I don't bother checking every spelling and punctuation, then its probably not an email worthy of a professional signature. and if you really want people to know, you can always attach your CV. but I'm probably preaching to the wrong crowed since I see people with these lengthy signatures in mundane emails all the time and I think its a little pretentious...

and I also agree with not putting in thesis...

Edited by donnyz89