The ideal Application

creacher

Though we are told there is no Ideal formula of an application, what is the ideal application. your opinion, it dose not have to be real! but not crazy too. so post a resume.

please list a major, score and other stuff (research, ETC.... )

If you want a template-

Mr Joe wants to go to Princeton, he is going to be a freshman next year as undergrad. what should he have at the end of his college years? (Majoring in the sciences)

Not exactly sure the point of this... But I'll bite.

4-5 years of undergrad research (depending on how long you take to graduate, more isn't definitely bad). As many as possible in one lab- although experience from several different labs isn't bad, I wouldn't work for less than a year in any of them.

A major in your area of interest for graduate school.

Good supporting advanced undergraduate/early graduate classes in your chosen field, as well as several related fields.

Publications (if possible, depends on the field)

Baccalaureate Thesis- sort of a publication, but really helps show that you had a project that you really carried through instead of a bunch of unrelated stuff.

3.9+/1400+ should sit well for stats, although you don't really need it to be that high.

Then, find a school/research program that really fits your interest, get letters of recommendation from faculty that would be the most familiar with that program/research area, and will write you good letters.

Yeah, I don't get the point of this, either. Eigen took this seriously and posted a profile which would be attractive, so I'm going to reply snarkily.

GPA: 4.33 - A+'s in every course, won Most Outstanding Student in the Sciences four years in a row, so impressing the faculty that they changed the name of that award to the Mr. Joe Outstanding Student Award

Quadruple Major in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Computer Science, Minors in all the rest of 'em

University decided to give him his own research centre and astronomical observatory, the Mr. Joe Institute for Advanced Research (MJIAR).

Was awarded the Fields Medal in his sophomore year

Journal of Mr Joe Studies (JMJS) begins publishing in his junior year, dedicated to papers on Mr. Joe's groundbreaking theories of quantum loop gravity and his solution of the P versus NP problem.

As Director of the MJIAR, gets recommendations from himself.

GRE: ETS decided that testing Mr. Joe with the GRE would be an insult.

And of course, has a rich father who donates millions to Princeton.

Yeah, I don't get the point of this, either. Eigen took this seriously and posted a profile which would be attractive, so I'm going to reply snarkily.

GPA: 4.33 - A+'s in every course, won Most Outstanding Student in the Sciences four years in a row, so impressing the faculty that they changed the name of that award to the Mr. Joe Outstanding Student Award

Quadruple Major in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Computer Science, Minors in all the rest of 'em

University decided to give him his own research centre and astronomical observatory, the Mr. Joe Institute for Advanced Research (MJIAR).

Was awarded the Fields Medal in his sophomore year

Journal of Mr Joe Studies (JMJS) begins publishing in his junior year, dedicated to papers on Mr. Joe's groundbreaking theories of quantum loop gravity and his solution of the P versus NP problem.

As Director of the MJIAR, gets recommendations from himself.

GRE: ETS decided that testing Mr. Joe with the GRE would be an insult.

And of course, has a rich father who donates millions to Princeton.

Hahaha. Excellent "snarky" post! cool.gif

My favorite part:

dedicated to papers on Mr. Joe's groundbreaking theories of quantum loop gravity and his solution of the P versus NP problem.

Thanks for doing snarky. I had a snarky one posted, but decided that I should at least try to take it seriously at first brush... But I'd been itching to come back and do the snarky one and you saved me the trouble!

Come on! you are in college, I got better answers at high school website! I want to know what the best applicant looks like. (I really LOL-ed)

Now I'm confused as to whether or not this is a joke?

At any rate, you've already got your answer: there is no best applicant. Getting into graduate school is more about fit than stats.

Please see this thread: