Late LOR

classicallynot

Hey guys

So one of my recommenders has not yet done/sent in my letters. One of the apps was due on Dec. 9th. I have sent her an e-mail but have yet to get a response. We are on pretty close terms (or so I thought!) so I don't know what's going on other than she must just be very busy. Another one of my professors suggested that I give her time and wait til around Jan. 1st before I pursue other options (calling her, asking someone else, etc). My question for you guys is should I send an e-mail to the DGS explaining my situation? I don't want my app to be ignored and forgotten because of this.

thanks in advance

Yes, contact the program you applied to. Let them know that the letter will be late, and approximately when they can expect it. I'd say waiting until Jan 1st is too long from a Dec 9th deadline. I'd imagine that the adcom starts reviewing applications at that time, and they'd need all your materials. But that's just a guess. Contact the program and ask.

Good luck!

one of my prof.s (who, nevertheless, turned the lor he wrote for me in on time) told me that schools tacitly accept that LORs may come in later than the deadline (he gave the possibly random figure of 2 weeks). But this doesn't go for the rest of the application material...

The assistant dean at Columbia (Dec 15 deadline) told me yesterday that their school has a 2 week grace period for supplemental materials.

Call your school if you're worried. They are usually pretty responsive.

I also heard from the administrative director of one of the programs I am applying to that they have a grace period on LORs (also transcripts and GRE scores for classes/exams taken before the deadline but not reported until after), but that she wanted to know from applicants if any parts of their application were likely to be coming in late. So I'd say yes, do call - chances are it will be no big deal and you'll spare yourself the agony knowing you have some leeway.