Urban Planning Degrees: Advice and Architecture vs. Policy Schools

I'm applying to urban planning programs that have a transportation policy focus. Right now, I am definitely applying to UNC- Chapel Hill, USC, UCLA, and University of Maryland. The first three programs are all housed in the schools' public affairs, policy, or arts and sciences schools. Maryland, however, is based in the School of Architecture. I'm much more of a policy guy, and U-Maryland's curriculum has a strong policy focus. However, the curricula at other architecture-based schools I researched, such as Harvard and UPenn, have a greater focus on studios and design.

How much difference does where a department is housed affect the curriculum?

Also, can anyone recommend other top planning programs with a transportation focus? I am using the 2012 Planetizen Guide as a starting point. I have also considered applying to the planning programs and Tufts and FSU. I currently live in DC and prefer east cost schools, but I am willing to go anywhere to get a degree from a top school and eventually relocate to New England (hence the two Cali schools).

About me: Recent grad from top liberal arts school with Government major and Econ minor and a 3.76 overall GPA. I've been working for the federal government for the past two years but not for DOT. GRE scores: 650-verbal and 690-quant.

Thanks for any advice!

Bump. If you find out the answer to this, please let me know. I'm interested in UMichigan MUP program that is housed in the architecture school and is very arch/design influenced, and UMaryland's that seems more policy-oriented. I'd also like to get an MPP... Did you purchase the 2012 Planetizen Guide online? I can't find it at my bookstore or library.

I purchased the Planetizen guide from its website. It was $25 for the electronic version, which lets you download the guide as a PDF (it's about 350 pages) and keep forever. In addition to rankings, it has profiles of current for former urban planning students and very detailed profiles of each school, its concentrations, GRE/GPA/funding/employment stats, and more. It's worth the price.

I looked at U Mich's program but it was too design and quant-heavy for me. Although U Maryland's program is in its school of architecture, I think that being 10 miles from DC helps keep the program from being too design/arch focused. I also emailed the director or UMD's program and he said the program was policy-focused.