Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Ok my fellow would-be UW Badgers- as of 10:54 am, the My UW portal still shows 'pending' for the apps...

A couple of reasons for optimist for UW results for all of us-

1. No one has gotten the heads up emails, so we are still in the running in equal footing, and

2. They traditionally take a very large cohort- 50 to 60 students accepted per year the last several years...

I am...Hopin'-n-Prayin'...for all us...

Agreed. Hopin' and prayin'....They actually technically take 60 to 70! Look at the minutes from 2010 and 2011, it'll say how many students were offered admission

So, this morning I woke up and picked up the puppy. Was looking her in the eyes when she peed on me. :)

Morning everyone.

Now, smile. It is a new day and we should all take advantage of it (in whatever we way we think is good, barring hurting ourselves and/or others).

Haha, puts things in/out of perspective :)

For any of you who feel like you're going a tad crazy, I haven't been able to eat for the past 3 days. I guess if you want to lose weight quickly, just apply to graduate school.

Wish I could say the same. Emotional eating fail.

For any of you who feel like you're going a tad crazy, I haven't been able to eat for the past 3 days. I guess if you want to lose weight quickly, just apply to graduate school.

I don't know you personally so I say this w/all due respect. Please don't jeopardize your health during these trying times. Hang in there and keep the Faith b/c regardless of the outcome if you aren't healthy enough, what will it all have been worth

Actually, Wisconsin really trying to cut things down. They absolutely screwed up their 2010 cohort. Last year they cut back quite a bit so that most people actually got decently funded. 60-70 is a lot but that's about a quarter of the total application pool.

This year, I've heard that they're taking only about 20. Not sure if he meant only Americanists or in general. They're working towards truly offering fully-funded packages. My guess is that it's the latter- they want to offer about 20 fully funded packages. So out of 450 applications (as it says on the site), about So... the top 5% would be very lucky. Very lucky.

Hey all, hope your Friday is going well. I'm still out cold with the flu. But I came home today to a letter from SUNY Buffalo — informing me that I've been awarded a Presidential Fellowship! Hooray. With an assistantship and waiver. So I am hoping more board members will get good news today. Wanted to post here before putting it on the results board.

Congrats Goldie! PM me if you want the down low on Buffalo in terms of life.

What is making this a bit torturous is that my current work project involves looking at as many universities as possible in this gigantic country for our programming (and we're not talking only the top 100 in USNWR). So the possibility that I could get an academic job in places I've never heard of is beginning to sink in. At the same time, I'll tell myself "oh yeah, I know this place" when I'm on the market years from now. So, yeah, surfing the Internet. Whee! :)

Hey all, hope your Friday is going well. I'm still out cold with the flu. But I came home today to a letter from SUNY Buffalo — informing me that I've been awarded a Presidential Fellowship! Hooray. With an assistantship and waiver. So I am hoping more board members will get good news today. Wanted to post here before putting it on the results board.

I got a Presidential Fellowship too! History department represent!

Congrats Goldie!

Edited by wikichic

teachgrad, I'm on EST. Oh, this means I should stay at work until 6 PM so I can keep refreshing the page? If I stay longer, this means I can get ahead on this project and sleep in a little on Monday.... ;)

*sigh* I was so looking forward to a weekend of relaxing knowing that one decision is down.

Congrats to those medievalist acceptances! I wondered if it was just one person- if so... SO LUCKY! Definitely break the bank and go out tonight and celebrate! :D

Edited by ticklemepink

Congrats all those admitted! :D

I just decided I need to keep the Jewish sabbath in my own way by not checking this board from sunset tonight to sunset tomorrow. This site is an amazing support system, but it also is making me more obsessed with this whole process than I should be, and I need to relax! Have a great day and for my fellow Jews out there, שבת שלום!