Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

That's my partner. So far, Northwestern and Brown are good to go for my beloved :) Thanks!

Congrats to him/her. Those are two pretty great options to have.

Funny that you're the one on this site. Whenever I mention something related to this site, my girlfriend shoots me a dirty look (which is not natural for her because she's really a very sweet person). She thinks it's making the process more stressful than it should be. I counter that it helped me prepare my application and is helping me to manage expectations. Of course, I can't do much to refute her point...

Sorry to obsess over Yale, but another thought that just occurred to me is this: is it possible that people who've been accepted have already been notified and rejections come later? (It seems, from last year's thread, that some successful candidates found out around the 6th or the 7th).

I wasn't super-confident about my interview, so I don't have any particular high expectations...

Funny that you're the one on this site. Whenever I mention something related to this site, my girlfriend shoots me a dirty look (which is not natural for her because she's really a very sweet person). She thinks it's making the process more stressful than it should be. I counter that it helped me prepare my application and is helping me to manage expectations. Of course, I can't do much to refute her point...

Yeah, the dirty looks will subside and she'll eventually just think you're ridiculous. That's how things stand in this house........

Thanks for the input, everyone! So, I guess the consensus seems to be that we may have another week or so for Yale.

Looking at last year's results, it seems that people were rejected, waitlisted or received MA offers on the 14th, but accepted students all heard between February 7th and 9th.

Sorry to obsess over Yale, but another thought that just occurred to me is this: is it possible that people who've been accepted have already been notified and rejections come later? (It seems, from last year's thread, that some successful candidates found out around the 6th or the 7th).

I wasn't super-confident about my interview, so I don't have any particular high expectations...

Hey, keep the faith! At least you had an interview. ;)

I am the neurotic one of our duo. I was so excited to answer the phone when the call came. I think I am more excited than she is.

Congrats to him/her. Those are two pretty great options to have.

A fair number of us on this site had interviews, so I'd be surprised if none of us were eventually admitted. Not that I am banking on being accepted, just saying.

So Indiana has been sending out rejections today via email. Does this mean its safe to assume that they have already sent out acceptances and waitlists? Or they are just tidying up their inboxes?

Congrats to all thus far. Its still early!

Gene Parmesan...love the name and reference to Arrested Development...could you PM me with some details regarding your Illinois acceptance?

I am also dying to hear some good news about Illinois, Gene Parmesan, so if you have a few minutes and a PM you'd like to share with me, I would greatly appreciate it! Congrats on all your acceptances thus far!

Hi everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster here. The anxiety is really starting to build, so I figured I would start posting at the risk of getting more addicted to this site/thread. Anyway, I was another Yale interviewee, and I haven't heard a thing from my POI since the interview. I think we can assume Yale will be a bit delayed because of the interview process, unfortunately.

I want to know where the reset of the Ivy lurkers are. It seems only the Yale & Princeton folks (and today Brown) are coming out of the woodworks. Hey lurkers, how y'all doing? Did anyone out there apply to Cornell or Columbia or Dartmouth? Thanks

PS for Lurkers only or if you haven't stated it somewhere here already

Hey guys, I posted the admission list on a separate thread- surreptitiously titled "2012 History Admission Thread," so if you want to know exactly who has been admitted where, just access that list for a quick reference. Like I said in that thread, I hope everyone here is on that list before two long.

Hey guys, I posted the admission list on a separate thread- surreptitiously titled "2012 History Admission Thread," so if you want to know exactly who has been admitted where, just access that list for a quick reference. Like I said in that thread, I hope everyone here is on that list before two long.

Thanks the artist formerly known as ADL :)

I talked with my POI at Northwestern today, and am just generally feeling wonderful about that prospect. Anyone else going to prospective students weekend?

I think I'm going, although I'm not 100% sure as it's the same day as my Irvine visit as well.

Edited by genesisy

posting this here so as not to fill up the admissions thing with chatter-

I kind of think the admission page would be more useful if it has subfield on it - because often if someone is going to turn down a position, they are going to be filled by another person in their subfield so someone in a different subfield who is waitlisted at that school would really get no help from it. (I believe this is not true across the board at all schools - but some do fill waitlist spots by subfield).

I think I'm going, although I'm not 100% sure as it's the same day as my Irvine visit as well.

BTW what happens when schools hold pro wkds at the same time? What if you are interested in both programs, can you split time between the two or is that a social faux pas?

I want to know where the reset of the Ivy lurkers are. It seems only the Yale & Princeton folks (and today Brown) are coming out of the woodworks. Hey lurkers, how y'all doing? Did anyone out there apply to Cornell or Columbia or Dartmouth? Thanks

PS for Lurkers only or if you haven't stated it somewhere here already

Not sure if I qualify as a lurker, but I applied to Columbia.

Lurkers are those who don't post ... I believe? I could be wrong though

Yeah - lurkers are those who read the threads but don't post.

obviously those who don't read and don't post aren't here to be lurking :)

Edited by remenis