Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hey guys! I've been sort of absent lately while dealing with some health stuff... But I got great news from my doctor today! That whole thing really put the application process in perspective for me though. Big time.

How's everyone doing? Nervous and neurotic still? This thread is so huge now! Happy Monday!

You're not pregnant, right?

I'm the UNC admit (sorry about the delay - the site wouldn't let me sign in). Just got an email from the DGS about half an hour ago, sent through the grad secretary, with my POIs copied. Visiting weekend is March 23-24. Very excited!!!

Congratulations on Columbia! I see that you heard back from Harvard too... do you mind me asking how you found out about your rejection? I'm definitely anticipating one myself...

She's an poster from last year. She's currently a student at Columbia.

As far as entertainment is concerned: I'm so thankful that it's NHL season since that's the only sport I care to acknowledge.

And I really cannot stomach American pop music or anything that surrounds it.

Does that make me a snob?

If so, I'm sorry :(

And I agree with TMP's sentiment on pgs138-139; this board has made me considerably better and has helped me with "what goes where" so much. I am thankful that everyone on this site is neurotic and obsessive.

guys, WHAT am i suppose to distract myself with during lulls at work if no one is hearing from anywhere?!

smittenkitchen.com has been the main distraction, but it just makes me hungry!

I made Smitten Kitchen cookies today.

Did not take nearly enough time.

My advisor would kill me if she knew this was how I was spending my "writing days".

I'm struggling to remember that it ain't over til it's over and I can't count myself rejected from schools (ahem UNC and Columbia) until they actually reject me. I just wish they'd get it over with already! I feel like a middle schooler waiting for the crush to write back on the "Do you like me Y or N?" note.

(someone feel free to chime in with an "Oseirus = Y" joke here)

hey! cookies! I made smitten kitchen cake yesterday to distract myself! It took a decent amount of time. I highly recommend it to those of you who are relaxed by baking! It is delicious!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/02/blood-orange-olive-oil-cake/

Theodore Herzl, founding of the State of Israel, if you will it dude, it is no dream. i could go on and on and on :) Her and Marty Ackerman are in Hawaii

Good job! I totally forgot that this quote is in The Big Leibowski which just makes it too easy. I will have to come up with another. They will all be related to my sub-field. That's the clue.

Doing work at work seems to be a good distraction from this place... but it's taken me about ten minutes to seal these envelopes. Seems like both work and this site are equally distracting.

I don't know if it has already been claimed or not, but can anyone claim the Harvard History acceptance post??!?!?!

Unless you're in that person's specific subfield (with the same POI), it really isn't worth the stress and any information they share here will not tell you anything about *your* application. The process is just getting started -- Harvard will get to all of us at some point, so we just gotta wait it out.

Cookies, cakes, oh my.... you know, guys, we should hold a bake sale on Gradcafe to help us pay off our loans that some of us may be taking out just to cover some airfare to an archive in the future (or for some of us have student loans already...). Or better yet, start a travel fund for our dissertation research. With all the baking, we should make tons of money! :)

I make wonderful crepes. It was my original back up plan, provided a fellow student assistant couldn't figure out what to do with her life. She did and it seems like I have too, so it's a no go on our crepe and tea shop.

I made Smitten Kitchen cookies today.

Did not take nearly enough time.

My advisor would kill me if she knew this was how I was spending my "writing days".

I'm struggling to remember that it ain't over til it's over and I can't count myself rejected from schools (ahem UNC and Columbia) until they actually reject me. I just wish they'd get it over with already! I feel like a middle schooler waiting for the crush to write back on the "Do you like me Y or N?" note.

(someone feel free to chime in with an "Oseirus = Y" joke here)

I got nothing today Wendy ... work exacted her pound of flesh today :(