Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Thanks for all the Skype tips from yesterday everyone! My interview went really well.

In other news, how come there are Yale acceptances popping up today!? The one on the results page says it was sent on 11 Feb, which was Saturday. Is Yale still sending out acceptances, or is that when that person received it? I thought they were all sent last Wednesday..

So if people are bored and going nuts (and by if I mean we all are), I have a project for us to discuss. Basically, why is it that the history forum does all it's replies off one long thread, which is at least twice as long as any other one that I've seen (Poli Sci, anthro, socio, literature, art, etc.) whereas the other threads have various spin offs. Anyone care to analyze that and take a stab? (And yes I get that antsy that I have explored other subjects and thought about that).

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

We like to read and research? I mean we ARE historians and what historian loves having 12 different sources when we can have one?

I haunt the LitCompRhet forum too, because I think they are pretty close to us. I think they have so many different threads because it's a very encompassing forum (some threads are about literature programs, English, litcomp, rhetoric, etc., so why have one large thread where you might think Duke is reporting for English when it's really Lit?).

Also, we're awesome. This has nothing to do with the question at hand. Though I was pondering this the other day.

Thanks for all the Skype tips from yesterday everyone! My interview went really well.

In other news, how come there are Yale acceptances popping up today!? The one on the results page says it was sent on 11 Feb, which was Saturday. Is Yale still sending out acceptances, or is that when that person received it? I thought they were all sent last Wednesday..

Glad to hear that! I think Yale acceptances trickled out over a few days last year as well, but I'd imagine they're done now (or close to it) because visiting days are in two weeks. I don't know if they have a waiting list or not, though.

We like to read and research? I mean we ARE historians and what historian loves having 12 different sources when we can have one?

I haunt the LitCompRhet forum too, because I think they are pretty close to us. I think they have so many different threads because it's a very encompassing forum (some threads are about literature programs, English, litcomp, rhetoric, etc., so why have one large thread where you might think Duke is reporting for English when it's really Lit?).

Also, we're awesome. This has nothing to do with the question at hand. Though I was pondering this the other day.

That's my guess, too -- a lot of the other disciplines branch off into different streams with entirely different methodologies, whereas we're all historians and all applying to history departments, with the only variation between us as candidates being our temporal and regional focus.

Glad to hear that! I think Yale acceptances trickled out over a few days last year as well, but I'd imagine they're done now (or close to it) because visiting days are in two weeks. I don't know if they have a waiting list or not, though.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

So if people are bored and going nuts (and by if I mean we all are), I have a project for us to discuss. Basically, why is it that the history forum does all it's replies off one long thread, which is at least twice as long as any other one that I've seen (Poli Sci, anthro, socio, literature, art, etc.) whereas the other threads have various spin offs. Anyone care to analyze that and take a stab? (And yes I get that antsy that I have explored other subjects and thought about that).

Thoughts?

I was going to say it was because we are a bunch of narcissistic, overly pontificating, self absorbed crowd, then I went back and reread at least 6 pages of this thread. I realized I was wrong. Well not about the narcissim or pontificating and self absorbtion (that was mostly me and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!). The real reason is because this is like a living document, ever changing, ever evolving, kind of like history. I know it sounds hokey but isn't that the point of history? We observe something in one light, then someone comes along and sees something totally different? Even when a new topic is inserted, we look back to previous topics and look at how other people perceived it at that time. That's my humble and yet completely insane take.

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm a little gunshy with message boards, so apologies that I probably won't be much of an active poster.

Can anyone give an update (Safferz?) on UPenn? I'm looking at the results board for it, and there seem to be a handful of acceptances, but not as many as one would think there'd be if all the acceptances have gone out. Safferz, African history is part of the general "plain History" Department there, right? Not a separate thing like "Ancient History"... ? If you received an email with info on funding and admitted students day, I would assume everyone who is part of the History Department's admissions pool would have already received the same (and the rest of us are waiting for waitlisted/rejected status). Do you know what's going on there?

Thank you, by the way, for declining your offer since you knew you weren't going there. I'm an Americanist, so I doubt that would have much impact on me directly, but I appreciate the gesture nonetheless. Congrats on all your acceptances.

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm a little gunshy with message boards, so apologies that I probably won't be much of an active poster.

Can anyone give an update (Safferz?) on UPenn? I'm looking at the results board for it, and there seem to be a handful of acceptances, but not as many as one would think there'd be if all the acceptances have gone out. Safferz, African history is part of the general "plain History" Department there, right? Not a separate thing like "Ancient History"... ? If you received an email with info on funding and admitted students day, I would assume everyone who is part of the History Department's admissions pool would have already received the same (and the rest of us are waiting for waitlisted/rejected status). Do you know what's going on there?

Thank you, by the way, for declining your offer since you knew you weren't going there. I'm an Americanist, so I doubt that would have much impact on me directly, but I appreciate the gesture nonetheless. Congrats on all your acceptances.

Hi lucyvanpelt!

Welcome :-). I love that our group keeps growing, or at least we get more people coming forward.

UPenn is not done--they sent out a few, and are still deciding on some others. All hope is not lost...yet.

I prefer having one thread. It's more friendly and communal.

I haunt the LitCompRhet forum too, because I think they are pretty close to us.

I've looked in that forum when I need to calm down a bit. I think that they're the only people on our level of insanity. Except that their long soliloquys about grad school anxiety are much more flowery and verbose.

[if there are English people lurking, know that I'm joking. Mostly.]

Hi, pugsley87. Thank you for the welcome. If you or anyone else has info as to when it's safe to give up hope on UPenn (at least for Americanists), please do post or PM, if you're comfortable doing so. I don't know how many agree on this (probably more than I think), but I'd always rather know when it's safe to "mentally move" on to the next prospect than to keep waiting in hopes something will happen if it won't. At this point, it's the silence and suspense that's bothering me more than the idea of being rejected.

Hi, pugsley87. Thank you for the welcome. If you or anyone else has info as to when it's safe to give up hope on UPenn (at least for Americanists), please do post or PM, if you're comfortable doing so. I don't know how many agree on this (probably more than I think), but I'd always rather know when it's safe to "mentally move" on to the next prospect than to keep waiting in hopes something will happen if it won't. At this point, it's the silence and suspense that's bothering me more than the idea of being rejected.

Totally agree. I'm also an Americanist applying to UPenn. However, I think I've already mentally "moved on". It was one of the big schools I had allowed myself to get my hopes up for, because my adviser has a connection there (that's literally the only connection he's had of anywhere I've applied, though). If anyone has any concrete info on UPenn, I'd appreciate it also.

Also, anyone claiming the admission to The Ohio State University? I'm a Buckeye fan, so I naturally think that their offer should be revoked for omitting the capitalized definite article, but that's just one person's opinion. :)

I prefer having one thread. It's more friendly and communal.

I've looked in that forum when I need to calm down a bit. I think that they're the only people on our level of insanity. Except that their long soliloquys about grad school anxiety are much more flowery and verbose.

[if there are English people lurking, know that I'm joking. Mostly.]

Hahah. I agree. They seem very neurotic like us. I love their 0% Confidence thread. But they also are like us, in that they really want good things for others as well. Plus, they even occasionally chat about things other than apps.

Yep, same department -- I received an email from the chair of the graduate committee on February 8th, with an invite to the visiting day on March 16th. I don't know how else their admissions process works (whether they sent all their acceptances out then or if they start with a first wave of offers like some other schools), but I do know from the email that there's a waiting list in place. On their website they have admissions statistics (the most recent year on the chart is 2008), and they seem to average a little over 30 offers each year for an incoming class of 15-18.

Ugh, I know! I just want that Yale rejection now so I can have closure on move on. Curses for even getting my hopes up with the interview! :(

Also, anyone claiming the admission to The Ohio State University? I'm a Buckeye fan, so I naturally think that their offer should be revoked for omitting the capitalized definite article, but that's just one person's opinion. :)

Like I said way before, my POI put that down in my SOP- "It's THE Ohio State University.". Ever since, I've been sensitive to that definite article... "I got into THE Ohio State University!" (Or "I got into Ohio State!"). *sigh* I don't know if it's worth the extra breath.

FWIW, I'm trying to figure out how to hide my sweats and shirts in the Buckeye land. Take a guess where I did my MA. ;) PM me with your answer.

I can add tasty Slovak, Russian, and Romanian baked goods and other foods to the bake sale inventory...

I make killer, fudgy brownies. I worked on this particular recipe for 3 years to get it perfect.

FYI: University of Maryland's final committee meeting is not until the end-ish of the month, but acceptances should go out before March. Not sure if anyone but me has applied there, but I just found that out today and thought I'd share.

Thanks doodle26 for the University of Maryland info as this program is probably my top choice. :)

Like I said way before, my POI put that down in my SOP- "It's THE Ohio State University.". Ever since, I've been sensitive to that definite article... "I got into THE Ohio State University!" (Or "I got into Ohio State!"). *sigh* I don't know if it's worth the extra breath.

As a graduate of two of the three schools with legitimate claims to the oldest state university in the country I can't help but find the "THE" Ohio State University business the silliest thing I've ever heard.

As a graduate of two of the three schools with legitimate claims to the oldest state university in the country I can't help but find the "THE" Ohio State University business the silliest thing I've ever heard.

I know. I'll probably have to get used to it, right? ;)