Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Is anybody here applying to Louisiana State?

I e-mailed the graduate coordinator there about submitting a writing sample longer than 10-12 pages (which she thankfully stated that I could send my whole piece of 20 pages), but did not answer my question about official transcripts. I don't want to pester her about it, but the site states that official transcripts should be sent online with other supplementary materials, yet there is no area to upload them. Even if I did upload them, I could only upload unofficial transcripts! I guess I'll just send them directly to the program and cross my fingers unless someone else knows for sure.

Ugh, I'm starting to freak out about my last recommender. I sent him a very polite and gentle email but I have not gotten a response. I'm concerned that when he does get the letter in it will be rushed. (I already had my strongest recommender undergo major heart surgery and I "withdrew" my request out of a sense of propriety. I hope I don't regret that decision......)

I'm totally freaked at this stage. Losing sleep, as Berkeley deadline approaches tomorrow. Am sending in a writing sample that is not on my research subject and have hours to cut it from 18 to 10 pages. Those bastards. Those Californian creeps. Also their "up close and personal statement" like what is that even about?! Who reads that? I can't sleep; I can't eat; I can't feel. Yes this process is killing me. No, it's not a breeze, a cakewalk, or "not-as-bad-as-I-thought" I've worked really hard for months and now I'm totally having a cardiac arrest inches from the finish line. Yes I had time to write this annoying post in the middle of the tempest, but isn't anybody else out there totally crumbling right now?

I'm totally freaked at this stage. Losing sleep, as Berkeley deadline approaches tomorrow. Am sending in a writing sample that is not on my research subject and have hours to cut it from 18 to 10 pages. Those bastards. Those Californian creeps. Also their "up close and personal statement" like what is that even about?! Who reads that? I can't sleep; I can't eat; I can't feel. Yes this process is killing me. No, it's not a breeze, a cakewalk, or "not-as-bad-as-I-thought" I've worked really hard for months and now I'm totally having a cardiac arrest inches from the finish line. Yes I had time to write this annoying post in the middle of the tempest, but isn't anybody else out there totally crumbling right now?

I hear you! I've been mostly on top of things with my applications (7/9 in at this point), but Berkeley is not one of them. SOP and writing sample are ready, but I'm just starting the personal history statement now. Good luck!

Edited by Safferz

If it helps, and forgive me if I'm making this about myself, think about the fact that you can control what happens! I would imagine we're going to half to deal with at least an equivalent amount of stress as we continue our careers, so just hunker down and do it, and soon it will all be over.......

(my recommender who's AWOL lives down the block from me, and it's taking a good deal of self control not to go knock on his door. I'm refreshing my email every two seconds when I should be reading Charles Tilly....)

Edited by crazedandinfused

This isn't hard, guys. No, really, it isn't. Because once you're in, things will get even more stressful with fellowship deadlines... then job applications... then if you're lucky at all, putting together your tenure package...

This is a cakewalk in the grand scheme of academia.

Holden, I've said this before... do NOT rush your paper as to avoid making as many mistakes as possible. Just edit down the first 10 pages (which they will definitely read) and leave the rest alone if you don't have time. Then move on.

This isn't hard, guys. No, really, it isn't. Because once you're in, things will get even more stressful with fellowship deadlines... then job applications... then if you're lucky at all, putting together your tenure package...

Holden, I've said this before... do NOT rush your paper as to avoid making as many mistakes as possible. Just edit down the first 10 pages (which they will definitely read) and leave the rest alone if you don't have time. Then move on.

We are doing this in order to have the privilege to be even more stressed once we actually get in (knock on wood).

Edited by crazedandinfused

Agreed. I'm not going to say this isn't stressful. I have one more SoP and after a conversation with a professor at a different school, I need to retool the one that WAS done because it turns out what I was going to propose is sort of... overcrowded. But this is the life I'm signing up for.

It's par for the course, I'm afraid.

Now I'm starting to freak out about my last recommender.... 11.5 hours until the deadline and he still hasn't responded to my last reminder. Advice??!

I was freaking out until a moment ago when I received notification that my professor uploaded his letter. How long ago did you send a reminder? Can you call or drop by his office in person?

I was freaking out until a moment ago when I received notification that my professor uploaded his letter. How long ago did you send a reminder? Can you call or drop by his office in person?

I emailed him yesterday..... I went by his office before I sent the email and he wasn't there. I'm sure it'll be fine. He's insanely busy, but this IS part of a prof's job.....

I emailed him yesterday..... I went by his office before I sent the email and he wasn't there. I'm sure it'll be fine. He's insanely busy, but this IS part of a prof's job.....

I'm sure it'll work out. He has likely seen your email, and most professors are aware that Dec.1st is a common application deadline. LORs also seem to be the most flexible aspect of the application process in terms of deadlines, so I wouldn't worry too much about when he submits the letter. The important thing is that you get your part of the application in by the deadline.

I'm freaking out and I'm on vacation!! :( Two of my references have submitted rec's for schools that have deadlines today. One reference did not submit recommendations for two schools that are due for today and has been completely MIA about it...and there are only a few hours until deadline. :( At this point I think those apps are done-for and I'll just have to wait to see how I do for the others and then make sure that same reference does the rest that have Dec. 15th deadlines.

I did everything on time (early even!) and now this is happening...

I want to cry.

I called Wisconsin over GRE scores and they said not to worry. Recommenders generally get more leeway so I wouldn't freak out just yet. Don't cry!

Just FYI, I've had problems with a couple of apps not sending the emails. Call the school directly and find out what's going on... in one case (Brown), my recommenders DID submit; one was received, one wasn't.

Edited by teachgrad

you guys are nuts. if one of your LORs is late, that's fine. schools will not disqualify your application because of that because the LOR is one of the most central parts. the adcoms will not feel as though they have a good sense of the student without all 3 LORs, so they won't make a decision for or against without these letters. plus, as many others have said in this thread, profs will cut each other slack even when they won't cut students slack. if something you're responsible for (your writing sample, for example) is late or missing, they might throw out your application. but if it's something the prof is responsible for (the LOR), they'll wait. always. so breathe. if they're using an electronic LOR submission system, the prof will receive reminder emails before and after the deadline to submit the letter.

Sending out good luck wishes to everyone else who had deadlines today! I submitted my first four applications, and learned my lesson about submitting the day of the deadline. My materials have been finished for a while, and I kept waiting to hit the "submit" button... just in case I needed to change anything at the last minute. This resulted in me changing maybe two or three small words or punctuation marks, and re-reading and re-reading and re-reading... and driving myself crazy. The next applications will go out much earlier.

How is everyone holding out? Doing ok? I've noticed some frantic posts about recommenders and such. Deep breaths. I promise it will be okay, just like the other posters mentioned. I know it can be overwhelming and easy to lose perspective after working so hard on every little detail. But a late letter will not ruin your application. I promise. Though I understand that doesn't make it any less unpleasant.

Rec Update: All are now in (within deadline!) for today! :) I'm on vacation with my husband and now can relax because I just got the word. Now all of my rec's are in for the 15th except for one prof who is going to do them this weekend.

*sigh of relief*

Now I'm going to go treat my husband to a glass of champagne....after all, the application process IS 3/4 of the battle! :D

Good luck, all!!

After reading through what's been going on here, I have to say I am very sorry to hear about some of you guys' problems concerning LORs... I was fortunate enough to have my profs submit them about three days to a week ago, but I feel your pain because my girlfriend's LOR wasn't sent in until almost last minute. Don't lose hope though! I heard from several of my professors that late LORs are usually accepted since the committees do not usually meet until after the holiday break.

2/10 are done, I'm trying to get the next five done this weekend or by Tuesday at the latest. OSU and MSU have not received my transcripts so I am worried, but I called them and they don't seem concerned. They both said that they were probably on someone's desk. I requested them about a month ago and I got my copies right away. I am really trying hard not to freak out. Two of my LORs have not gotten to one school, but I know that they were all sent out. The other school is still missing one but said that that prof can email it tomorrow. So much to juggle... I have about ten emails to send out, a lecture to cut and a powerpoint to create. But the end is in sight...

My strongest recommender hasn't written his rec yet and the Dec. 1 deadline is about 3 hours away. I appreciate everyone's input about why this won't be the end of the world, but I would still be much more comfortable if it was in on time.

Two positives: I'm only applying to one school with a Dec. 1 deadline, and my recommender emailed me this morning to assure me that it would be in before midnight. This prof is a younger guy and has a reputation for overburdening himself and becoming too involved to the point where he misses deadlines and sometimes neglects his students. This will be a long three hours.

So my Berkeley personal history statement is awful. Well, perhaps not 'awful,' but this sort of personal narrative makes me cringe a little. WHY didn't they just leave it at the SOP? :mellow:

So my Berkeley personal history statement is awful. Well, perhaps not 'awful,' but this sort of personal narrative makes me cringe a little. WHY didn't they just leave it at the SOP? :mellow:

Do you think the professors actually read the personal statement, though? I mean, mine is pretty awful. I can't see why they'd be terribly interested in it...it seems like they have enough samples of our writing as it is.

Do you think the professors actually read the personal statement, though? I mean, mine is pretty awful. I can't see why they'd be terribly interested in it...it seems like they have enough samples of our writing as it is.

I would assume so. I doubt it's a decisive factor like the SOP and writing sample can be, but I don't see why they'd require a piece of writing they won't read. Berkeley only asks for a 10 page writing sample as well, so all things considered (writing sample, SOP, personal history, CV), that's no more than 15-16 pages or so per applicant.