Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

So in other news, I managed to annoy my favorite professor of all time, who also happens to be my POI for grad school, and who also happened to have wrote my best LOR, and who also happens to be my 'inside connection' with AdComm. . . Apparently 1 e-mail per month is too much.

In all serious though, I don't think she was that upset. . . but she did seem ever so slightly annoyed, and finished the e-mail with "If you put this much energy into the work when you are actually in grad school, that should put you in good standing."

I was tempted to respond with "When I'm actually IN grad school??? So you're saying I'm in!?"

But I didn't. . .because I'm not 100% socially stupid.

So in other news, I managed to annoy my favorite professor of all time, who also happens to be my POI for grad school, and who also happened to have wrote my best LOR, and who also happens to be my 'inside connection' with AdComm. . . Apparently 1 e-mail per month is too much.

In all serious though, I don't think she was that upset. . . but she did seem ever so slightly annoyed, and finished the e-mail with "If you put this much energy into the work when you are actually in grad school, that should put you in good standing."

I was tempted to respond with "When I'm actually IN grad school??? So you're saying I'm in!?"

But I didn't. . .because I'm not 100% socially stupid.

Bah! Why didn't you?! From henceforth always ask ... "what would Sterling Malory Archer do?"

So in other news, I managed to annoy my favorite professor of all time[.]

Been there, done that, and done that more than once. The professor in question was (he has passed away) also a mentor. Once, I got late word on something (I don't remember what) and needed him to do something with very little turn around time. I burned up every line of communication with messages, paused for a moment, and then proceeded to transmit the same messages. Wash, rinse, repeat a third time for good measure. When I next saw him, I grinned at him sheepishly as he glared at me.

The same professor had a favorite joke that he told me just about everytime he saw me. He also had a wry, and somewhat playfully sadistic sense of humor. One day, we were walking along in a small group and I got ahead of myself. I admitted to him that for years I'd worried that I was missing the humor of his jokes until I realized the problem. "You're not funny," I deadpanned. He reminded me of this comment on a regular basis for the next couple of years.

The same professor had a favorite joke that he told me just about everytime he saw me. He also had a wry, and somewhat playfully sadistic sense of humor. One day, we were walking along in a small group and I got ahead of myself. I admitted to him that for years I'd worried that I was missing the humor of his jokes until I realized the problem. "You're not funny," I deadpanned. He reminded me of this comment on a regular basis for the next couple of years.

That's pretty fantastic. :)

Been there, done that, and done that more than once. The professor in question was (he has passed away) also a mentor. Once, I got late word on something (I don't remember what) and needed him to do something with very little turn around time. I burned up every line of communication with messages, paused for a moment, and then proceeded to transmit the same messages. Wash, rinse, repeat a third time for good measure. When I next saw him, I grinned at him sheepishly as he glared at me.

you weren't kidding ... he really was humorless :(

Okay guys, puzzling situation (for me, anyway). I applied to Kent State for their MA program. I went complete about two weeks ago (a few of my materials were ridiculously late getting there, but anyways..). I contacted the DGS a few days ago to ask about how the notifications would be sent out, and she said that she thought it would be through postal mail. I then replied and asked her what the typical timeline of an applicant looked like. I didn't get a response yet, but I did email late last night and they're on spring break currently.

Today, I logged into the Kent State website to check the status of my application. Now it says that a decision has been made, and that I should call the admissions office. Because it's the weekend, I imagine I won't be able to get anyone until Monday. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I'm so afraid; part of me is extremely optimistic, but then the other part of me thinks, "You're going to call, they're going to say you're rejected, and then you're going to cry for days."

So, yeah. Anyone have to call for an admissions decision, and does it tend to be good, bad, or neutral? I apologize if this is a noob question, but I'm really stressed about this one, as Kent is my top choice and my other programs rejected me.

Bah! Why didn't you?! From henceforth always ask ... "what would Sterling Malory Archer do?"

Archer would be too busy being awesome to even consider anything else. . . And if for some reason he didn't get into grad school. . . We'll it'd be time for the sequel to "Terms of Enrampagement"

Archer would be too busy being awesome to even consider anything else. . . And if for some reason he didn't get into grad school. . . We'll it'd be time for the sequel to "Terms of Enrampagement"

Well now you have a back up plan to your back up plan!

And thanks! I'm lurking to make sure I see where everyone else ends up (and who I might be reapplying with in two years).

That'd be me. I'll be back in a similar position in 2 years- worrying about when and where I'll be. Good luck to you KelKel!

I'm really excited that the funded MA I've accepted is, apparently, a school that has a great relationship with my #1 PhD dream school and, recently, a Professor I keep in contact with there told me "we accept PhD students from your MA institution quite regularly."

YESSSSSS *don't f$%* it up!, Really Nice Guy!"

Good luck to everyone.

That'd be me. I'll be back in a similar position in 2 years- worrying about when and where I'll be. Good luck to you KelKel!

I'm really excited that the funded MA I've accepted is, apparently, a school that has a great relationship with my #1 PhD dream school and, recently, a Professor I keep in contact with there told me "we accept PhD students from your MA institution quite regularly."

YESSSSSS *don't f$%* it up!, Really Nice Guy!"

Good luck to everyone.

Well at least I'm not alone!

you weren't kidding ... he really was humorless :(
I think I should have emphasized the following a bit more.

He also had a wry, and somewhat playfully sadistic sense of humor.
His second Ph.D. was in a field that calls into question the premise of a knowable "objective truth." From this vantage point, he would, from time to time, take on the entire department at once by offering a stinging critique of the craft of history. He'd then sit back, his eyes glimmering with humor, as his colleagues formulated their replies.

His second Ph.D. was in a field that calls into question the premise of a knowable "objective truth." From this vantage point, he would, from time to time, take on the entire department at once by offering a stinging critique of the craft of history. He'd then sit back, his eyes glimmering with humor, as his colleagues formulated their replies.

was this person by any chance a loner?

Anybody have any advice on smoothing out the process of rejecting an acceptance? :) What a wonderful predicament! I really, really like this POI and I'd like to establish a lasting professional relationship with him, I just have an offer at a more dynamic program (but I don't want to put it that way when i tell him).

Advice?

Edited by crazedandinfused

Anybody have any advice on smoothing out the process of rejecting an acceptance? :) What a wonderful predicament! I really, really like this POI and I'd like to establish a lasting professional relationship with him, I just have an offer at a more dynamic program (but I don't want to put it that way when i tell him).

Advice?

In what ways is the program you're going to attend more dynamic? Are there ways you can phrase this dynamism in ways that can generate a conversation among the POI and his peers on how they might improve their own program?

In what ways is the program you're going to attend more dynamic? Are there ways you can phrase this dynamism in ways that can generate a conversation among the POI and his peers on how they might improve their own program?

I would chime in here to say that I would never start up a conversation about how faculty can "improve their own program" — and I say this with lots of respect, Sigaba. I just don't think that I'm in any place, as a fledging grad student, to offer advice to established faculty on how they can create a "more dynamic" program. I'd be happy to tactfully answer questions about why I chose the program I chose... but I'd never offer suggestions about how to improve another one. Just my $.02.

C&C: I was pretty open all along with my POIs about my other offers. They expect you to be considering other offers. They go through this every year. When it came time for me to start declining, I tried to do the following: 1. Express sincere gratitude for the POI's time 2. Express how flattered I was to receive an offer 3. Note that I've decided to attend another program that I feel will best serve my research interests 4. Mention that I hope we can cross paths in the future 5. Do all of this concisely, and as soon as I'd decided -- so as not to waste anyone's time or resources, being mindful of those waitlisted.

Best of luck!

Edited by goldielocks

I would chime in here to say that I would never start up a conversation about how faculty can "improve their own program" — and I say this with lots of respect, Sigaba. I just don't think that I'm in any place, as a fledging grad student, to offer advice to established faculty on how they can create a "more dynamic" program. I'd be happy to tactfully answer questions about why I chose the program I chose... but I'd never offer suggestions about how to improve another one. Just my $.02.

Nice post, Goldilocks. Let me develop my point.

In my experience, academic institutions benchmark themselves against "comparable" schools. The comparisons include everything from entering freshman SAT scores to faculty prestige, to parking fees. When a school or a department gets serious about moving ahead of comp schools (or taking its status to the next tier) few stones will be left unturned. As a recent example, last spring there was a thread here that might have been relevant to a specific program. I shared the information with a mentor associated with that program, and I was told--not asked--to get more information.

So if an applicant picks one institution or another because the selected institution has a superior IT infrastructure, a specific collection of papers on microfilm, or a greater commitment to the environment, or a different sensibility towards diversity or the environment, or increased opportunities for mentoring, a "rejected" department might decide to do something about such variables. However, these choices are difficult to make if a department does not receive thoughtful and informed feedback.

No. He was basically a quirky guy.

The beauty of academia ... all SORTS of characters inhabit it that luckily you are blessed to meet all kinds ... I hope I remember this when I'm upset or frustrated with a professor or something some day

Lurker who was waitlisted for UMass Amherst's Ph.D. program today :lol: That smiley is a bit happier than I actually feel, but a waitlist is a good thing. It's my first choice, so hopefully things will line up and I'll get an offer...eventually :)

Welcome Lurker Meg! Best of luck coming off of the wait list!

Lurker who was waitlisted for UMass Amherst's Ph.D. program today :lol: That smiley is a bit happier than I actually feel, but a waitlist is a good thing. It's my first choice, so hopefully things will line up and I'll get an offer...eventually :)

I'm hoping to go there for my MA, waiting on funding decisions. What is your concentration?

I'm hoping to go there for my MA, waiting on funding decisions. What is your concentration?

So have you heard about funding from UMass (and you're waiting to hear from UMaine) or are you waiting to hear from UMass as well?

I only ask because I'm somewhere on the waiting list, so obviously if I get accepted I'll be pretty low on the funding priority, BUT I wasn't sure if they've already told their MA applicants who they accepted what type of funding they're in line for.

Thanks! I'm American History/Public History. I would imagine that their waitlist does move a bit (because many people getting in there are also getting accepted to upper tier schools) but I guess there isn't any way to know. Sigh, Amherst is my 2nd home (I did my undergrad in a different dept at UMass), so I am really really hoping that I get lucky and off of the waitlist.