Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this thread for months, but decided to finally make it official. To be honest, I have moments where I literally feel sick to my stomach (probably nerves) over this whole process. Hopefully, we'll all get good news.

Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who've already started getting news! It certainly is an exciting time. :)

To be honest, I have moments where I literally feel sick to my stomach (probably nerves) over this whole process. Hopefully, we'll all get good news.

Oh trust me, I know how you feel. I had about a week where I felt physically ill if I spent more than 5 minutes thinking about my applications. Which meant I just felt ill all the time. It's beginning to wear off as I hit the slump between finished app's and getting results, but it comes and goes. I've found participating in some of the more lighthearted discussions on the board here makes me feel better.

Speaking of puppies, of course, mine has been my emotional rock these past few weeks. Who needs the approval of adcoms when you can just cuddle up with a ball of fluff and fur who will love you even if you don't have the perfect GPA, GRE, SOP, LORs and every other acronym in the book.

I've found participating in some of the more lighthearted discussions on the board here makes me feel better.

That's what I'm hoping! And just to add my piece, I don't have a puppy, but I do have a very supportive cat. Between her and watching a ton of tv in my freetime, I'm able to escape my anxiety.

It definitely makes me feel better to know that other people are just as nervous and having trouble with this whole process as I am. It makes me realize that you dont have to be perfect in this process to get in somewhere and we are all just human. It also makes me feel better to see "congrads" being thrown around because its not cut throat like some other programs

I just sent a picture of the puppy to the apartment complex office trying to sway the decision...do you think I can send her picture to adcoms to sway their decision to let me in? ;):D Man, how I wish we could all meet up and celebrate this waiting time! :) And, yes, it is so nice to see the congratulations going on...rather than meanness. :)

Edited by A Finicky Bean

I have to say, it is pretty bang up of Yale to be offering interviews this early on. For those of you who are applying to the other Ivies I'm sure you would have appreciated something like that right about now or did I miss that wave too? Oh and congrats to all who have interviews, goes without saying. I hope you get the puppy Bean. In the mean time, I will be stressing out about how my Giants are going to fare against the Pats. Beats worrying about grad school for a 2 week stretch if you ask me

It definitely makes me feel better to know that other people are just as nervous and having trouble with this whole process as I am. It makes me realize that you dont have to be perfect in this process to get in somewhere and we are all just human. It also makes me feel better to see "congrads" being thrown around because its not cut throat like some other programs

The historians' vibe is nearly unmatched (anthropologists maybe). There can be a lot of crabbiness, but at the end of the day - and if things actually go well - there is a cheer that I find to be very comforting. And I don't think that's chauvinism because I'm not a historian yet. It's a somewhat self-flattering observation.

Oh, and my self-doubt made me put together the best application I could. I've learned through firsthand experience that usually the less you agonize over building your application, the smaller your chances of actually getting in.

But I've already submitted my application, so I should just stop agonizing. Yet here I am......

Edited by crazedandinfused

It's pretty great right now, but I think the GradCafe can get pretty gruesome once offers start rolling in. I watched it unfold last year. When you're on your own the wait is still tough, but you're in the dark and have no idea what's going on with the programs until you receive a decision. But being on a forum like this and seeing others get admitted into programs you applied to will make your heart sink. Even if you are ultimately admitted, just seeing the top students get their offers early in the game will be hard to watch. I think some of the reactions to the Yale interviews give you a sense of what's to come -- some of us may very well receive interviews soon, but just hearing about the early interviewees has resulted in some of you giving up all hope!

Well, after some of the Yale interviewees generously PM-ed me with the info I asked for, I am officially counting myself out for Yale. I kept saying that I didn't think I'd be considered there, but in the end, it really does sting. The perfect advisor for my proposed dissertation is there (who pretty much created my subfield), and I have been corresponding with that prof on and off for a while now. But I think if I just count myself out now, instead of keeping my hopes up, I will save myself some disappointment.

I wish all of the Yale interviewees the best of luck, and will send good vibes your way.

I just keep telling myself: 1. That's only one out of nine. 2. That was the most competitive of my nine apps. 3. It's really, really early in the game.

Hope you're all surviving! I think that now that I've accepted this one, I will stop frantically checking my email/the results page, and just let the process play out.

So my husband started a new job today (yay!) so I don't have that to distract me from all of this. But now my husband and I have fallen in love with a puppy. We'd get her on the spot but we have to get approval from our apartment community (as we already have the maximum 2 pets). So, now I am waiting to hear if we can provide a loving home for this puppy. I hope we can. Sometimes I wish I owned a house already... *sigh* Cross your fingers on puppiness!! At least we only have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to hear about the decision...

PUPPIES: SO MUCH COOLER THAN GRAD SCHOOL! GET HER/HIM!!!

AFB: I hope you can get your puppy! My puppy (and my husband) have gotten me through this stressful time. As someone else noted, there's just something about having that sweet little nugget that will love you no matter how the admissions results play out.

My cat was a veritable rock until I found out that she had gotten an interview (by email) with Yale last Friday. Now I giggle nervously around her and congratulate her when she successfully fits through the catflap or finishes her lunch.

I've begun to consider having her declawed.

My cat was a veritable rock until I found out that she had gotten an interview (by email) with Yale last Friday. Now I giggle nervously around her and congratulate her when she successfully fits through the catflap or finishes her lunch.

Hahahaha. That made me smile! :)

AFB: I hope you can get your puppy! My puppy (and my husband) have gotten me through this stressful time. As someone else noted, there's just something about having that sweet little nugget that will love you no matter how the admissions results play out.

Thank you- me too! We will know tomorrow afternoon. :) I just keep thinking about fluffiness and big paws. :) She will be bigger than the Aussie we have now, so that will be a new thing. Our dog is also looking forward to having a canine sister (she has a feline sister and two bunny relatives ;) )

Your cat is making people on here extremely nervous now

Haha!

Somebody googled me on Jan. 22!!!!

It has come to this.......

I know it's crazy how excited/anxious that can make you feel isn't it? I got a notification that someone googled me while I was tutoring a kid the other night and for the rest of the session I was basically on another planet. She could have said 2+2=5 and I would have just nodded my head and said "yup, that sounds good..." :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

Been following the topic for a while (all the ups and downs with Yale interviews!), but never posted. Wanted to say I received a call from POI at NYU inviting me to visiting weekend with very positive reviews of my app. I'm in African Diaspora. So those invites are going out soon! Good luck to everyone and feel free to ask questions.

Hi everyone,

Been following the topic for a while (all the ups and downs with Yale interviews!), but never posted. Wanted to say I received a call from POI at NYU inviting me to visiting weekend with very positive reviews of my app. I'm in African Diaspora. So those invites are going out soon! Good luck to everyone and feel free to ask questions.

Congrats!!!

Hi everyone,

Congrats!! Can I ask when you received the call?