Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Well, another Friday has come and gone with no news here. I'm hoping this is my last no-news week, even though it's still early. Maybe next week things will speed up a bit!

Agreed! I just want something, anything in order for time to speed up again.

Not all that useful I know, but I remember this time of year with not so many fond memories....

I'm currently a student at Princeton's history department. They have either made their choices or are very close by now. They try to do all their work on next years PhD applications before the start of the new semester (Feb 6th). Writing samples were being read for the past several weeks, and the departmental staff was putting together this years acceptance packet about 10 days ago.

I should warn people. The current first year cohort is extraordinarily large as far as the department is concerned and they may under accept this year to compensate.

Last year's acceptance letters went out by email on Feb 10th.

Edited by New England Nat

I just want to put this out into the universe: I'm going out to dinner now. If I could have a giant piece of good news sitting in my inbox when I get home later tonight, that'd be great. Please and thank you.

Not all that useful I know, but I remember this time of year with not so many fond memories....

I'm currently a student at Princeton's history department. They have either made their choices or are very close by now. They try to do all their work on next years PhD applications before the start of the new semester (Feb 6th). Writing samples were being read for the past several weeks, and the departmental staff was putting together this years acceptance packet about 10 days ago.

I should warn people. The current first year cohort is extraordinarily large as far as the department is concerned and they may under accept this year to compensate.

This makes me feel both good and bad. Good because I'll know sooner rather than later. Bad because Princeton is my top choice and I probably have even less (of an already slim) chance of being admitted!

Thanks for the information nonetheless!

I just want to put this out into the universe: I'm going out to dinner now. If I could have a giant piece of good news sitting in my inbox when I get home later tonight, that'd be great. Please and thank you.

Mentally pushing good news into Goldie's inbox while hoping that she (?) can relax and have a nice dinner. Anybody lurking around with info similar to the above post, but in reference to UVA?

Good news for USC people. The official acceptance letters have not gone out AND no one has been informed of rejection yet. I spoke directly with the man who sends out the letters himself. :)

And I am also hoping for a good night for Goldie!

Tonight is puppy arrival night, so I won't be thinking about schools. :):D

Thanks for the info! I'd imagine most schools that notify around the 10th are also at a similar stage, just finalizing their acceptances.

Does anybody know if the History dept and History and Philosophy of Science dept are different? Someone posted an interview and I want to not start freaking out/crying yet...

i dont think its the same thing. Its been floating around in other schools too and i'm sure its not the same

Thanks for the reassurance... I googled the website and it's separate from the History one. So I'm guessing it's different. I just know that they notified interview at the same time two years ago (no, I haven't been obsessing over the results survey).

Does anybody know if the History dept and History and Philosophy of Science dept are different? Someone posted an interview and I want to not start freaking out/crying yet...

Not the same thing at ND, don't freak out if you are general history.

Thanks for the reassurance... I googled the website and it's separate from the History one. So I'm guessing it's different. I just know that they notified interview at the same time two years ago (no, I haven't been obsessing over the results survey).

I panicked when I saw it too, but I know of several schools who separate the two departments. I think it's because History of Science/Medicine/Economics (all often set apart) are more the studies of economics/medicine/science in a historical context, rather than the study of history (and thus, really, humanity) viewed through the lens of economics/science. Different methodologies and focuses. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the info! I'd imagine most schools that notify around the 10th are also at a similar stage, just finalizing their acceptances.

I can only tell you from my experience but last year Princeton and Brown were the first big departments to notify and they did it the same day. Yale the day after. In this case the Princeton timing is actually very specific because of the way the semester works here, they try to do all of the applications in January and do most of their job talks during that period as well. The undergrads finals only just finished, and as I said before, the new semester starts on Feb 6th. Last year I was totally convinced there was some grand logic on the way it was done, but now I know they just don't want to be dealing with this once Spring semester starts.

I panicked when I saw it too, but I know of several schools who separate the two departments. I think it's because History of Science/Medicine/Economics (all often set apart) are more the studies of economics/medicine/science in a historical context, rather than the study of history (and thus, really, humanity) viewed through the lens of economics/science. Different methodologies and focuses. If that makes any sense.

There is a long complicated history behind if a history of science department is separate, or combined with history, philosophy or something else. There are also minor distinctions between H&PoS, History and Sociology of Science (Penn), and Science and Technology Studies. Each department (or program) mixes methodology in the disciplines differently and you basically have to look up each school to see if they are combined or not.