Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Thanks everyone. And congrats on the Emory interview, superfluousflo -- wanting to talk about your application is a great sign!

Oh, nice! What region are you interested in? I want to focus on East Africa and the effects of colonialism on prior conceptions of identity and its impact on the formation of nationalism and "tribalism". I also applied to Northwestern! :) Not expecting to get in there, hahaha. I met with the two Africanist POIs there, and they said it's very much about how you fit in with the community. They were both, also, really kind.

Interesting topic! I also do east Africa (the Horn more specifically), with a focus on gender and anticolonial nationalisms.

What strategies have y'all been using to stave off thinking about admissions?! I realize that this is an impossible endeavor, but...

I've been growing worse and worse in worrying about my admissions, and finally found a solution that can distract for a few hours: beer + translating texts from Latin. Works on practicing my languages, and dulls my senses while requiring full concentration of what senses I have left. Writing it out precisely, rather than just doing rough mental translation requires even more concentration. Between the two, I can't manage to think about anything except the text in front of me, for at least an hour or two. So far, it's worked!

Sincere congrats to the admits/interviewees today.

What strategies have y'all been using to stave off thinking about admissions?! I realize that this is an impossible endeavor, but...

Research. I've got a thesis to finish up and three other major historical research projects already this semester so I'm getting a head start on them. It's only half working, as I take notes on my computer which just puts me within a few clicks of my email and of this site...

No problem! I just rewatched the Christmas special tonight and it totally holds up. I can't wait for season three!

Nice! I still need to play catch up. I just finished season 1, and have only watched the first episode of season 2 so far. So, I have all of season 2 to look forward to (which, to answer the other comment, is one of the ways I will distract myself!)

Okay, I just got in from work (It's just before midnight here), and it looks like congrats are in order! So CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who got good news today! :)

Also, whoever posted an interview for Yale Beauty School: You're my hero.

Nice! I still need to play catch up. I just finished season 1, and have only watched the first episode of season 2 so far. So, I have all of season 2 to look forward to (which, to answer the other comment, is one of the ways I will distract myself!)

Yes. Television, exercise, and my cat are my distractions. I only wish Community was airing new episodes. :(

My students had finals this week so that has kept me relatively busy. I'm planning a wedding, on top of that. And I STILL can't stop checking. *rolls eyes*

Yes. Television, exercise, and my cat are my distractions. I only wish Community was airing new episodes. :(

I'm recording an hour of The Big Bang Theory every day so that takes about 45 minutes of the day.

So hopefully tomorrow will be more like today around here. Ready to get things moving. Anyone wanna make any predictions?

I think over the next week or so we'll see the top students hear about their acceptances before mid-February mass notifications. There's a lot of competition between schools for these candidates, and I would not be surprised to see programs start making moves to try to secure students that will likely have multiple offers to consider.

Yes, it seems that way.

One of my professors saw me in the hall today and told me to stop by any time as "things start unfolding"...and I said something about how I would be content with another couple of weeks without any unfolding. But I guess this thing has to start sometime!

I think over the next week or so we'll see the top students hear about their acceptances before mid-February mass notifications. There's a lot of competition between schools for these candidates, and I would not be surprised to see programs start making moves to try to secure students that will likely have multiple offers to consider.

Ugh, this sounds so good and bad at the same time... depending on where you fall, I guess.

One of my professors saw me in the hall today and told me to stop by any time as "things start unfolding"...and I said something about how I would be content with another couple of weeks without any unfolding. But I guess this thing has to start sometime!

This is better than the classmate (who is not applying for a PhD) who said, "So you haven't been accepted anywhere yet?" This just happened to be the same day I convinced myself it was time to give up on Yale. Thanks, awful classmate, thanks. I should also note that this classmate is elderly... and auditing the course for fun... and very, very irritating.

Edited by goldielocks

This is better than the classmate (who is not applying for a PhD) who said, "So you haven't been accepted anywhere yet?" This just happened to be the same day I convinced myself it was time to give up on Yale. Thanks, awful classmate, thanks. I should also note that this classmate is elderly... and auditing the course for fun... and very, very irritating.

Awww. Yeah...my classmates are more used to law school rolling admissions and started asking me if I'd gotten in anywhere in early December. I kept telling them I hadn't even submitted all my applications yet, and then they'd ask me the next day...

That's just terrible. Some people don't seem to understand that this is a essentially a 5-6 year job contract and that it's a really, really big deal. I'm sorry that you had to put up with that. There's always one....

That's why gradcafe rocks. I think we're an exceptionally fun (as well as neurotic and masochistic) cohort. Even though nobody seems to like Bramwell...... :(

Edited by crazedandinfused