Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Yeah, I basically can't sleep. And it's ridiculous. I keep milling about because I sent in apps to top programs for my subfield and feel a bit stupid seeing as that my GREs were, frankly, idiot level. However, I do have a high GPA, good writing sample, and have done work already in my country of interest.

I have no idea how it will pan out, but I hope for the best.

I've noticed most people on these forums all have very high GRES and GPAs, so they're a stellar bunch and I feel silly being on here and even worse knowing I'm at a disadvantage. I should probably stop worrying, though...

It looks like we're in the same boat, Singwaya. I'm confident in almost every part of my application EXCEPT my GRE scores, which are delightfully mediocre. I too have research experience in my country of interest, and have presented at some conferences, etc. I've got some other things on my CV that I don't want to go into specifics about, but I hope they'll help me too.

I've heard from some of the professors I've applied to work with that the GRE means very little to them. I think the GRE might make the difference with the grad committee, but perhaps not the individual POI you're applying to work with. They told me that the writing sample was by far the most important component, so hopefully that will be a source of comfort for us both. My writing sample was strong enough, but it sure would've been nice to have a completed thesis to submit.

I've resigned myself to be okay with whatever happens. It is, after all, a total crapshoot, but no matter how many times I tell myself that it does not help me to feel any less anxious. :P

I'm a night owl, so you'll usually find me working 12-5am and checking in here from time to time :) Weekends are a bit of a relief from the waiting anxiety though, but I can't help thinking it's almost Monday again!

Yeah, I basically can't sleep. And it's ridiculous. I keep milling about because I sent in apps to top programs for my subfield and feel a bit stupid seeing as that my GREs were, frankly, idiot level. However, I do have a high GPA, good writing sample, and have done work already in my country of interest.

I have no idea how it will pan out, but I hope for the best.

I've noticed most people on these forums all have very high GRES and GPAs, so they're a stellar bunch and I feel silly being on here and even worse knowing I'm at a disadvantage. I should probably stop worrying, though...

Singwaya, my GREs were not that great either (and so far doesn't seem to have hurt me at all with one top school expressing their interest). It really doesn't matter all that much, especially when everything else in your application is stellar. I think it's really the statement of purpose, writing sample and letters of recommendation that make your file.

It looks like we're in the same boat, Singwaya. I'm confident in almost every part of my application EXCEPT my GRE scores, which are delightfully mediocre. I too have research experience in my country of interest, and have presented at some conferences, etc. I've got some other things on my CV that I don't want to go into specifics about, but I hope they'll help me too.

I've heard from some of the professors I've applied to work with that the GRE means very little to them. I think the GRE might make the difference with the grad committee, but perhaps not the individual POI you're applying to work with. They told me that the writing sample was by far the most important component, so hopefully that will be a source of comfort for us both. My writing sample was strong enough, but it sure would've been nice to have a completed thesis to submit.

I've resigned myself to be okay with whatever happens. It is, after all, a total crapshoot, but no matter how many times I tell myself that it does not help me to feel any less anxious. :P

Oh wow, I guess that's sort of good news...but what do they mean it may make the difference with the grad committee? Does that mean that even if the POI wanted you, the grad committee could decide to turn you down? Ugh, I hope not....

And yes, I heard from one of my POIs they are most concerned with the writing sample, so that seems consistent.

For the record, I'll give you an idea of how bad my GREs were. My verbal was only a 158. My quantitative even lower...much lower. However, I did get in an accident before and was on vicodin while taking it. It's only funny now that I am looking back on it, not to mention that the kid next to me fainted halfway through the test. It was just a horrible day to take the GRE, I think.

And Safferz, thanks for the reassurance! I need it with all this anxiety. :)

Not a problem! May I ask where you've applied? Seems we have some things in common in terms of research interests, so I'm guessing we applied to a lot of the same schools. Glad to see another Africanist on the boards :)

Oh wow, I guess that's sort of good news...but what do they mean it may make the difference with the grad committee? Does that mean that even if the POI wanted you, the grad committee could decide to turn you down? Ugh, I hope not....

And yes, I heard from one of my POIs they are most concerned with the writing sample, so that seems consistent.

I suppose it really just sort of depends on the program how the GREs are assessed. Hopefully if the POI wants to work with you, that would be the mark of an acceptance, but you can never know for sure.

When you said 158 I was like- Oh my gosh! How did Singwaya score below 200?! Then I realized- the new test, duh! I'm still on the old test scale. But a 158 is a very respectable score! Don't worry too much about it anyway- they probably don't even know how to assess these new GRE scores yet, making them an even more worthless portion of the application than usual. Plus no one ever cares about the quantitative either.

Sounds like an awful testing experience- I'm so sorry. But you made it through that. Now if we could just make it to February...

Edited by wikichic

Not a problem! May I ask where you've applied? Seems we have some things in common in terms of research interests, so I'm guessing we applied to a lot of the same schools. Glad to see another Africanist on the boards :)

I applied to NU, UCLA, and Boston. I know -- not many, but I'm just particular by nature. I was going to apply to UChicago's program in Anthropology and History, because I wanted to work with Jean and John Comaroff, but I found out from a friend who studies under them they are moving to Harvard next year. :( Their work is a tad controversial, though, so perhaps it is for the best that I work somewhere else. Haha.

I suppose it really just sort of depends on the program how the GREs are assessed. Hopefully if the POI wants to work with you, that would be the mark of an acceptance, but you can never know for sure.

When you said 158 I was like- Oh my gosh! How did Singwaya score below 200?! Then I realized- the new test, duh! I'm still on the old test scale. But a 158 is a very respectable score! Don't worry too much about it anyway- they probably don't even know how to assess these new GRE scores yet, making them even a more worthless portion of the application than usual.

I know! When I first saw my scores on the computer screen, I nearly cried because I was like, "Where's the zero?!" It should have been a 1580 total. JK. Yeah, the score apparently equates to a 580-590 so I didn't even break 600. It could've been worse, I guess. I could have fainted like the kid next to me.

I know! When I first saw my scores on the computer screen, I nearly cried because I was like, "Where's the zero?!" It should have been a 1580 total. JK. Yeah, the score apparently equates to a 580-590 so I didn't even break 600. It could've been worse, I guess. I could have fainted like the kid next to me.

Fainted?! Poor kid :(

Great schools btw, I'm guessing your first choice is NU? Really in line with your interests, from what I can see!

It's been fun chatting with you Singwaya and Safferz- I am going to try to get some sleep, but will surely return to lurk more tomorrow.

If I sleep, does that mean the decisions will come faster? Will the admissions fairy leave an acceptance under my pillow?

Maybe I should just go into hibernation for the next 3 weeks....

Edited by wikichic

It's been fun chatting with you Singwaya and Safferz- I am going to try to get some sleep, but will surely return to lurk more tomorrow.

If I sleep, does that mean the decisions will come faster? Will the admission fairy leave an acceptance under my pillow?

One could only dream.

Maybe I should just go into hibernation for the next 3 weeks....

Funny, I was just telling someone I'd like to wake up in March :P G'night!

Honestly, I like all of the schools. But as far as I know, the only one that doesn't care about GREs and offers full-funding *is* NU.

What is your first choice? And for NU, did you talk to Schoenbrun or Glassman?

I actually don't have a first choice right now, but there are a few that I'd prefer to go to over others. I'm also trying my best not to get attached to any one particular school so I'm not disappointed later, and I plan to weigh my options and decide once I (hopefully) have some offers to consider. I spoke to Glassman by email briefly to see if he was taking on new students in the fall.

Well now that I am done trolling through everyone else's, let me just sum up here. GREt matter and they don't. I'm sure no school wants a person w/a writing level or a 2.5 but at the same token they're going to look at the overall package. They understand that it is a formulaic test and for example if you are a foreign student your scores might be a bit different from those of American students perhaps. You could have a perfect GRE score & still not get in because at the end of the day it is a subjective thing this whole application process. It is easy to say don't worry and relax but this is our lives in the balance so it is OK to get a lil nutso right around now. Vent vent vent vent vent away my friends! This is part of the raison d'etre of these message beards. We are going through the same things you all are going through. Who can better understand than us here? I'm not sure who has read the Aeneid here but there is a line that I love very much. As Aeneas is watching Troy burn down, he tells his men "forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit", which roughly translates 'and someday we will look back upon this fondness'. Right now it's tense but no matter the outcome, we will be better for having just gone through it. You all are accomplished people and that is something that can't be taken away from you. You are not a loser for trolling at 0400. It is a lonely time even for the most gregarious of us. We live in uncertainity that can't be matched by a lot of things. So I implore each and everyone of you, keep hope alive and believe in yourself just for today at least. Until you have that email or piece of paper, you are not out of this. Even still then, you will go on, because dammit, you are a strong individual! No ADCOM, DGS, POI, SOP, CSI, SVU, NCIS, TGIF or anybody else can take away from you! With that said, I will get off for the night. It's 0200 & I am danced out! Good night the grade cafe history brethren and sisteren!

I actually don't have a first choice right now, but there are a few that I'd prefer to go to over others. I'm also trying my best not to get attached to any one particular school so I'm not disappointed later, and I plan to weigh my options and decide once I (hopefully) have some offers to consider.

This is exactly how I feel...

just so there is no misunderstanding, my only point to posting how many people were on the board last night was to emphasize how we all seem to be going through the exact same thing right now- an unabashed obessession as we inch ever closer to "D" day, vacillating between immersion in deep-rooted self doubt and the glorious freedom of rational optimism- but the obessession is a constant...

It reminds of the late Victorian-era obsession with salvation as a result of a surge in millenarianism: "I can't think! I can't sleep! Lo, I can't even write! I can only contemplate my own damnation!"

I descend deeper into the abyss...

Hello peeps,

I'm a long time stalker, first time poster.

Like most of you, I applied to several PhD programs this year and am waiting for my acceptances/rejections. Just last week, however, I was finally able to meet my POI at Columbia University. I had not contacted her before because I was preoccupied with health related matters (a long bout with tuberculosis, to be precise). During our meeting, she told me that she had already read my application and that she would love to work with me, but warned me that it is "very, very, very, very hard for Columbia to accept students coming straight out of undergrad." Now, being the paranoid person that I am, I am not sure how to interpret this. Was she just trying to temper my expectations of getting admitted or was she trying to inform me of my rejection in a very subtle, polite way? Near the end of hour long meeting, she also told me that I had made the "first cut" and that there are two more final cuts coming up in the next few weeks.....

Thoughts? (chews nails off)

Hi Invinchiva - from what I know about Columbia the final decisions are made by a hist dept committee - meaning that, she may want to accept you but the decision won't be up to her and she may be trying to tell you that the committee doesn't often accept students who haven't completed a masters degree.

I also applied to Columbia straight out of undergrad so I'm in a similar boat.

What's your subfield out of curiosity?

Hey remenis :)

Yes, I know that Columbia has a separate admissions committee, but I surmise that she must have some say in the decision or at least some degree of involvement, especially considering she already knew about me before I even emailed her. Who knows lol

And my subfield is late 20th century Immigration to the United States. I'm harmless to you :)