Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Got a really really really good (and unexpected) email from my POI at one of my top choices (the one that nominated me for the fellowship). No official offer for a week, but wanted to let me know that the prospects look very good. AHHHHH.

Congrats!

Got a really really really good (and unexpected) email from my POI at one of my top choices (the one that nominated me for the fellowship). No official offer for a week, but wanted to let me know that the prospects look very good. AHHHHH.

That's exciting for you! But it makes me sad since I know which school that probably is (one we both applied to?).

Oh well, I guess people will hear back in a week! I'm hoping I'm one of them!!

Ooooh if this is what I think it is CONGRATS!!!!! so so so awesome!! :)

So, I finally got some encouraging news today. My M.A. thesis advisor is close with a professor (not my POI) at one of my non-Ivy schools. He was told by this professor that I will NOT be accepted into the program.

???

(“I thought you said you had encouraging news…?”)

The encouraging part is that the professor told him that my application was at the very top of the stack in what they call the “Ivy” pile (Too bad Yale doesn’t seem to agree, but anyway…). They can’t admit me because they do not have a sitting faculty member who can take on doctoral students in my sub-field specialty (I kind of knew this, but I feel that there are other professors who I would be able to work with, but this is a different issue).

My advisor was told by the other professor that objectively speaking, he expects me to be accepted by at least a few of the schools I applied to (this school is one that asks us to name other schools we applied to)…

Its not much, but it sure does make me feel better after a whole lotta nothin’

Was it McGonnagal? She always seemed the gossipy type but YAY! Keep thinking positive thoughts :-)

So, I finally got some encouraging news today. My M.A. thesis advisor is close with a professor (not my POI) at one of my non-Ivy schools. He was told by this professor that I will NOT be accepted into the program.

???

(“I thought you said you had encouraging news…?”)

The encouraging part is that the professor told him that my application was at the very top of the stack in what they call the “Ivy” pile (Too bad Yale doesn’t seem to agree, but anyway…). They can’t admit me because they do not have a sitting faculty member who can take on doctoral students in my sub-field specialty (I kind of knew this, but I feel that there are other professors who I would be able to work with, but this is a different issue).

My advisor was told by the other professor that objectively speaking, he expects me to be accepted by at least a few of the schools I applied to (this school is one that asks us to name other schools we applied to)…

Its not much, but it sure does make me feel better after a whole lotta nothin’

Nice! Just curious, but what does the Ivy pile refer to precisely?

I'll claim the interview. Just got the e-mail not 5 minutes ago (it says something a little sad that my second impulse was to immediately post it on the results board. The first was, of course, to flail my arms wildly as I ran across the room squealing). I think there's still ample time for you to receive an e-mail though, so deep breaths!

Now I feel bad that I've made you sad though :( I'm sorry.

Aw don't feel bad! I'm happy that someone here can claim it. Can you give us details?

From reading the past results, it seemed like the email was bcc'ed to everyone at once.

I'll try to relax some... I am just kinda bored at work with nothing better to do than file things and obsess over this place.

The interview email! Did it seem personalized or did it say "dear applicant"? From the DGS, is what I assume. I just wanted to suss out if it really was a bcc to all those invited or if I should keep hoping.

Thanks everyone, and congrats loimographia and everyone else who has received good news!

I am feeling cautiously optimistic, but certainly not counting my chickens before they hatch.

For everyone who hasn't received good news yet, please don't hate me for reminding you (like several others have reminded me) that it is still very early. I am hoping everyone gets some good news soon!

Okay, so I will wait. Which means staring at my Gmail tab until I see the (1). I did a few minutes ago and had a near freak... only to find it was a groupon getaways email. I only want you, Groupon, if you have an awesome trip to South Bend, Indiana, ya hear?!

Okay, so I will wait. Which means staring at my Gmail tab until I see the (1). I did a few minutes ago and had a near freak... only to find it was a groupon getaways email. I only want you, Groupon, if you have an awesome trip to South Bend, Indiana, ya hear?!

Haha I unsubscribed to Groupon last week, because I was doing something similar. Not good for the nerves. ;) I hope you get some good news soon! :)

Ha...all half a day of it?

And hang in there...way too early to get nervous about ND...the best lies ahead!

You'd be surprised at how slow life moves in this office. It's a snail covered in molasses kind of pace. Plus, I spent all morning unable to do any work which sucked.