Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Bean: I had nowhere near a 4.0... and I got into one school already. A lot of it is based on your SOP and writing sample. My overall GPA was little above a 3.0 (thanks, math/science classes!).

Edited by teachgrad

No. Several current students said it's bad form. Tempting, no? :(

It's really tempting. I already found out from an insider something I didn't want to know....i.e., found out I was rejected from one of the Ivies I applied too...oh well. Missed the cut off by one. Can you effing believe that? Oh well.

Ugh, I just noticed today's interview for Notre Dame up on the results board. And now Indiana's starting? Indiana is one of my best fits (if not my very best) so I'll be extremely disappointed if this continues...

I'm not saying that the results are faked, but I can choose to delude myself a little bit. After all, if you were an internet troll, what could be more fun than disturbing our sanity?

Ugh, I just noticed today's interview for Notre Dame up on the results board. And now Indiana's starting? Indiana is one of my best fits (if not my very best) so I'll be extremely disappointed if this continues...

I'm not saying that the results are faked, but I can choose to delude myself a little bit. After all, if you were an internet troll, what could be more fun than disturbing our sanity?

I'm doing the same thing with Indiana. It just seems too early for Bloomington to send out decisions!

I'm doing the same thing with Indiana. It just seems too early for Bloomington to send out decisions!

I got a ridiculously early email... it shocked the heck out of me. I'm still kind of in shock, to be honest. I'm sure some people probably think it's BS but.. whatever. While some people could be trolling, I don't see why people need to work themselves up to think that they are all fakes.

Does anyone have any proof that it will hurt to call/email/pidgeon message a POI at this point?

I'm pretty sure that pigeon message would be the only helpful way to do it. As several have pointed out, they have a heckuva lot on their plates and calling them will only hurt you..... The Stony Brook post is very strange.Their deadline was only two weeks ago. Whoever posted it can PM if he/she would prefer!

Edited by crazedandinfused

Ok so since no one can offer any proof, I'm doing it. I'm goin' in. I'm contacting two POIs and just make some kind of contact. No one can offer any proof other than it might annoy them, but then again, students often annoy professors on a daily basis. A little sucking up and a few questions cant hurt.

I got a ridiculously early email... it shocked the heck out of me. I'm still kind of in shock, to be honest. I'm sure some people probably think it's BS but.. whatever. While some people could be trolling, I don't see why people need to work themselves up to think that they are all fakes.

Congrats on the acceptance!

I didn't mean to imply that the the post was fake, just that the decisions are coming out early. May I ask what your sub-field is?

Do you mean you're the Indiana acceptance? If so, huge congrats!

I was only kidding about the trolling conspiracy, to be clear.

No, I got into Davis... Latin America. Didn't apply to Indiana :) But the e-mail came SUPER early... that application was due on the 15th of Jan., and I submitted it that evening. I got the news last week. That's why it shocked me.

I understand you guys weren't talking about anything specific, but I did read some comments about fakes on other parts of GC too... sorry I got a little defensive, I guess it just hit a nerve :(

Edited by teachgrad

No, I got into Davis... Latin America. Didn't apply to Indiana :) But the e-mail came SUPER early... that application was due on the 15th of Jan., and I submitted it that evening. I got the news last week. That's why it shocked me.

I understand you guys weren't talking about anything specific, but I did read some comments about fakes on other parts of GC too... sorry I got a little defensive, I guess it just hit a nerve :(

Thats's awesome! They must really want you if you got accepted so quickly. Congrats again Teachgrad!

I just got an email from US Wildlife and Fisheries. Biggest let down ever. (That is to say, I was not expecting it to be from any school in particular or period... just seriously wildlife and fisheries?)

I just got an email from US Wildlife and Fisheries. Biggest let down ever. (That is to say, I was not expecting it to be from any school in particular or period... just seriously wildlife and fisheries?)

Heh the Wisconsin financial aid ones have also been annoying.

Thats's awesome! They must really want you if you got accepted so quickly. Congrats again Teachgrad!

Thanks. :) I'm freaking out over whether the Grad Admissions office will process papers, say, "hahah, just kidding!" and reject me. But anyway.

Hope you get good news soon!

Edited by teachgrad