Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Just thought I'd add my weekend news as well: I just heard from POI at NYU, and I have been invited to the visiting weekend later in the month.

I am very excited, as I really admire the work of historians in my sub-field at NYU. BUT, I also know that getting invited to the weekend is no guarantee of admission, so I will not be popping open the champagne just yet.

Received official acceptance letter from UW-M today in the mail. Basically, I'm admitted, but funding is still being decided. They should be notifying on that front by mid-march (seems so far off). Prospective student weekend on March 24-26.

Hey everyone! I've been super busy and MIA lately, but I've been admitted to Berkeley and Wisconsin in the last two days! I am SUPER excited and absolutely shocked. Congratulations to everyone who has heard good news recently and to everyone else - just hang in there for now and I'm am absolutely confident that all of you will be admitted to fabulous programs!!!!

Berkeley and UW!? WELL DONE!!

Wow, congrats Telemaque!!!

Hope everyone is holding up ok! My POI at Northwestern sent me a wonderful email, and the funding package they've put together is just fantastic, so I'm over the freaking moon. Hoping everyone else gets great news soon!

Ugh I'm on here way before sunset... Relaxation fail! I'm soooo surprised people are hearing on weekends! I hope I come home to a letter, though none of the schools posted have been ones I applied to. Crossing fingers I hear from one this week!

Hashem knows your heart ... and if this is weighing on your mind already how can you relax I say? I would quote Maimonides but I'm a wee bit rusty in my Jewish esoterica

Congrats to all the Wisconsin and Berkley admits!

Two quick questions. Are any of the Northwestern admits Americanists? And, does anyone know how Northwestern makes decisions?

Thanks a million.

Hi there. No, I'm a Europeanist, and I know that my POI said the rest of the admits will be notified by faculty starting Monday.

Yes, divine intervention is most warranted. I've decided that my self-indulgent treat for when I finally get admitted is going to be a chaise lounge in which I will read hundreds and hundreds of books.

Well since I've sort of appointed myself the motivational quote kinda guy if you are a Believer then Matt 6:34 should be of great comfort. If you aren't a believer well then um .... hey! Look over there! ::makes a dash for the door::

Well since I've sort of appointed myself the motivational quote kinda guy if you are a Believer then Matt 6:34 should be of great comfort. If you aren't a believer well then um .... hey! Look over there! ::makes a dash for the door::

Well, I'm not really a believer and the only thing I see when I look up is my girlfriend's disapproving face when she knows that I'm on GradCafe........ She is the "goddess of my idolatry" so I am kind of a believer - in the power of Shakespeare, that is.

Hi there. No, I'm a Europeanist, and I know that my POI said the rest of the admits will be notified by faculty starting Monday.

Thanks Goldie. That makes a bit of sense. I guess I'll find out more on Monday; maybe they just stopped in the middle of their rejections cause it was late at night. My last name is towards the end of the alphabet.

Congrats to you! You've really been cleaning house around here. It's quite impressive, especially knowing how competitive things are right now.

the level of identification I have with all of you is frightening...and comforting!

Right?? I'm genuinely happy and excited for all of you whenever I hear about an acceptance! We've been in it together for months now :)

Right?? I'm genuinely happy and excited for all of you whenever I hear about an acceptance! We've been in it together for months now :)

It's really great. It's a level of "community" in the sense that only historians and social scientists could truly appreciate. Like, last night's Northwestern news tangibly angered me but then I got real happy when Goldie's awesome news broke. I raise my glass to all you freaks and geeks. :)

Okay... is it Monday yet? I'm beginning to get concerned about my UW status.... nothing in the mail (dammit, I just told PO that I changed my address and just had the time to change it now on the website.)

Congrats to all the good news on the results survey board!

Folks, just need some tiny advice....

got into my top choice program (yay!), received letter of acceptance from PI. Official to follow soon...how to respond to the official letter?? Do I write back to the Dean in a thank-you sort of way? Whats the correct response to a official notice btw?

thanks, good luck to all.

Folks, just need some tiny advice....

got into my top choice program (yay!), received letter of acceptance from PI. Official to follow soon...how to respond to the official letter?? Do I write back to the Dean in a thank-you sort of way? Whats the correct response to a official notice btw?

thanks, good luck to all.

There will be instructions on how to accept their offer in the paperwork, have no fear.