Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I have had the craziest week, good and bad. I'm juggling some health concerns right now, which has meant a lot of added stress. So the good news from Buffalo and Northwestern (and UT Austin, I suppose) was much needed. But more than that, having a group of anonymous board users who I feel like I know so well... has made this much, much easier. I really do appreciate all of the support. And I hope you all get wonderful, wonderful acceptances soon.

TMP, C&C, Sandy, Telemaque, Virmundi, and everyone... just wishing you all the best of luck as this all plays out.

Folks, just need some tiny advice....

got into my top choice program (yay!), received letter of acceptance from PI. Official to follow soon...how to respond to the official letter?? Do I write back to the Dean in a thank-you sort of way? Whats the correct response to a official notice btw?

thanks, good luck to all.

don't thank the dean. thank the PI and copy the director of grad studies on the email. then tell all the profs who wrote LORs for you that you got in. and congratulations. :)

don't thank the dean. thank the PI and copy the director of grad studies on the email. then tell all the profs who wrote LORs for you that you got in. and congratulations. :)

Great. Thanks. I'm still not sure about the workings of power, so am trying to be nice to everyone. Who handles funding then, if I want to negotiate something?

Great. Thanks. I'm still not sure about the workings of power, so am trying to be nice to everyone. Who handles funding then, if I want to negotiate something?

The people with the real power are the department secretaries. Always a good idea to get on their good sides.

I'm really worried about Illinois. Based on last year, they probably aren't admitting too many this year and I see a couple people have already been admitted and I haven't heard anything yet... Oh well... Illinois was more of a dream haha. Same as Ohio and Minnesota. :(

Sorry I haven't been active recently, I've been fighting an illness and trying to cut lectures already...

Congrats to Goldie and Telemaque and everyone else on their acceptances!

Congrats to Crater for the NYU invitation! Crater, if you don't mind what is your sub-field? You can PM me if you would prefer. :)

Hey congrats to everyone so far! Have any Indiana University applicants heard anything? There was an acceptance posted on the result survey, but that's the only one I've seen. Last year they didn't start letting people know until (what equates to) this coming Monday. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.

Thanks!

I'm really worried about Illinois. Based on last year, they probably aren't admitting too many this year and I see a couple people have already been admitted and I haven't heard anything yet... Oh well... Illinois was more of a dream haha. Same as Ohio and Minnesota. :(

I'm worrying too...Illinois is my top choice, and I feel like I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear back from them. Keeping my fingers crossed!

it seems way too soon to begin that conversation. what do you mean by negotiate? if they are only offering partial funding and you need full funding to attend, wait until you have another fully funded offer from a comparable institution and then contact the director of grad studies in the history department at the partially-funded school. they may be able to scrape full funding for you together.

but i should warn you: if a school is offering you 5 years of TAship or fellowship or a combination of TAship and fellowship years, then that is likely the best they can do for you. it will be difficult to get an increase in the number of fellowship years, although this may be possible when other students with better funding offers reject the school's offer, but that won't start happening until march. if you're looking for an increase in the dollar amount they're promising, don't bother. the department doesn't control that, the planning and budget committee of the entire university sets the pay rates for TAships and internal fellowships, and there's nothing you can do about that. trying to negotiate for a few extra thousand dollars a year will not only not work, it risks seriously offending the professors and the dean's office.

it is not unheard of for fully funded offers of admission to be rescinded when a student tries to play hardball with funding negotiations. in fact, if you were given 5 years of funding (without an MA already in hand) or 4 years (with an MA in hand), then i STRONGLY urge you not to negotiate funding at all.

Hey congrats to everyone so far! Have any Indiana University applicants heard anything? There was an acceptance posted on the result survey, but that's the only one I've seen. Last year they didn't start letting people know until (what equates to) this coming Monday. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.

I've not heard anything yet, so I'm hoping that's just some kind of outlier. Would be great to hear from them this week, though. The silence is just killing me.

it seems way too soon to begin that conversation. what do you mean by negotiate? if they are only offering partial funding and you need full funding to attend, wait until you have another fully funded offer from a comparable institution and then contact the director of grad studies in the history department at the partially-funded school. they may be able to scrape full funding for you together.

but i should warn you: if a school is offering you 5 years of TAship or fellowship or a combination of TAship and fellowship years, then that is likely the best they can do for you. it will be difficult to get an increase in the number of fellowship years, although this may be possible when other students with better funding offers reject the school's offer, but that won't start happening until march. if you're looking for an increase in the dollar amount they're promising, don't bother. the department doesn't control that, the planning and budget committee of the entire university sets the pay rates for TAships and internal fellowships, and there's nothing you can do about that. trying to negotiate for a few extra thousand dollars a year will not only not work, it risks seriously offending the professors and the dean's office.

it is not unheard of for fully funded offers of admission to be rescinded when a student tries to play hardball with funding negotiations. in fact, if you were given 5 years of funding (without an MA already in hand) or 4 years (with an MA in hand), then i STRONGLY urge you not to negotiate funding at all.

I would second this. However, I think your comment on not trying to increase the $ amount is a little radical. It might be the case that it is impossible for places facing budget cuts (such as UC and Wisconsin schools), but there are plenty of places where the department has money available to attract top recruits.

I wouldn't say you can just ask for more money, but if you have a better funded offer, you can let that (tactfully) be known. Once you start meeting with advisers, they will ask about other places you are considering and all that. Both times that conversation came up with me, the people in question made a point in saying that money shouldn't be the reason to reject their offer, and that they'd be willing to match other offers.

This is all really continent on the department, since some places offer equal funding to all applicants (the ideal situation, imho), but be aware. Sure, everyone is committed to the study of history, and money is far from our primary drive. But it's also a reality. I honestly can't imagine living on a small fellowship in an expensive part of the country. And I've heard plenty of horror stories from people who've gone through it. I can say I don't think I would, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't think the parallels between the life and ethics of grad school and Grub Street are something to be admired. Everyone here is incredibly smart, and that has a value which no one should be embarrassed in arguing for.

Hey congrats to everyone who got accepted so far! And good luck for all the others who are waiting for a positive response.

I got my first admittance yesterday at Wisconsin, and even though I am delighted as the program is definitely in my top 3 schools, it is a bittersweet news because funding is far from being guaranteed there. Does anyone know what their policy is for funding this year? I think they used to only give some to 1/3 of their students, if I remember correctly. Thanks for your insight!

I would second this. However, I think your comment on not trying to increase the $ amount is a little radical. It might be the case that it is impossible for places facing budget cuts (such as UC and Wisconsin schools), but there are plenty of places where the department has money available to attract top recruits.

I wouldn't say you can just ask for more money, but if you have a better funded offer, you can let that (tactfully) be known. Once you start meeting with advisers, they will ask about other places you are considering and all that. Both times that conversation came up with me, the people in question made a point in saying that money shouldn't be the reason to reject their offer, and that they'd be willing to match other offers.

This is all really continent on the department, since some places offer equal funding to all applicants (the ideal situation, imho), but be aware. Sure, everyone is committed to the study of history, and money is far from our primary drive. But it's also a reality. I honestly can't imagine living on a small fellowship in an expensive part of the country. And I've heard plenty of horror stories from people who've gone through it. I can say I don't think I would, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't think the parallels between the life and ethics of grad school and Grub Street are something to be admired. Everyone here is incredibly smart, and that has a value which no one should be embarrassed in arguing for.

Thanks to both of you for making things clearer. StrangeLight, I actually followed your earlier advice and avoided all mentioning of actual numbers during the interview. But I was given exact numbers, which were brought up either by faculty (the last part of our conversation) or grad. students. I happily smiled to let them know I heard the number.

I've gotten a standard package at a good private university. It's not all that bad BUT what I want to know is this: who has the authority to increase the yearly stipend/fellowships? You say director of graduate studies. Obviously he or she has to negotiate with the university and the people (which people?) who make the budget.

I am not trying to understand the deep meshed world of university red tape and bureaucracy here. All I am trying to do is:

A) IF I get a better offer of funding from another university (which is actually just as good as this one) then I can ask these folks to match it, thats all. Like Simple Twist of Fate said, i can be spoiled for choice if two equally good universities have chosen to admit me (for which I am thankful).It is very likely that the "other" university will send me an offer soon and offer funding. I know the second university to have better funding too, but it's my second choice considering everything else.

B) You are right, I do not want to offend the POI or the faculty by bringing this up with them directly. That is why I want to be careful and not mention it and sound crass. If I could speak to the "person in charge of delegating funding" (yes, I dont know what sort of animal that is) and just say to them, gingerly over a cup of green tea "you know, I love your program here and I really want to study here. BUT XYZ has offered me N amount of dollars more. Can you match that please?" and they simple nod their head and write that number down in my file somewhere and everything is magically fine.

C) I want to do this simply because I know I need the money. Some of us have families, dependents, etc. and the extra dollars can go a long way :P So I do have a need for it.

I'd like to hear more, please continue.....

(GC is awesome. good luck to everyone else).

I've not heard anything yet, so I'm hoping that's just some kind of outlier. Would be great to hear from them this week, though. The silence is just killing me.

Agreed, I thought it was still a little early. I'm just a Dual MA/MLS applicant, but I hope they will make all of the decisions at the same time. Thanks for the response!

My thoughts on funding: It's possible to "negotiate" funding in some schools, but not all. My current program was intensely interested in the details of my other offers, and worked to exceed them through nomination of a university scholarship. My supervisor (then-POI) was the conduit through which all information flowed to the department and the school of graduate studies. Friends in similar situations this year are having similar experiences. These schools are all different. You will need to use your own judgment in determining who (the DGS or your POI) is the best person with whom to communicate as you weigh your options. It's a balancing act ... one doesn't want to appear mercenary, but some schools are located in expensive areas, and having the ability to buy food and books (and perhaps fly back home occasionally) is important, in my opinion.

Astarabadi,  I am sure you have considered this, but one reason stipends may be different is due to cost  of living. a higher stipend in NYC or LA than in Chapel Hill, for instance, isn't  necessarily more walking around money.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/ I found this on another GC thread and while obviously it doesn't take into account that some neighborhoods in a city may be cheaper than others, but it does give a decent overall view of how the stipend of one school might compare to another for how far each dollar stretches.

Congrats to everyone who has received good news! :) Hoping for more good news for everyone else this week.

I just had a long conversation with my advisor, and I got to break the news about Northwestern, and this is suddenly feeling very, very real. Whoa.

Congrats to everyone who has received good news! :) Hoping for more good news for everyone else this week.

I just had a long conversation with my advisor, and I got to break the news about Northwestern, and this is suddenly feeling very, very real. Whoa.

:rolleyes:

I have now gotten to the point where I've figured out who exactly is on the committee for the fellowship I've been nominated for, and I've tried to get to know them through their faculty pages and I think they'll like my application.........

I think/hope that tomorrow will be a busy day.

Edited by crazedandinfused

:rolleyes:

I have now gotten to the point where I've figured out who exactly is on the committee for the fellowship I've been nominated for, and I've tried to get to know them through their faculty pages and I think they'll like my application.........

I think/hope that tomorrow will be a busy day.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Astarabadi, I am sure you have considered this, but one reason stipends may be different is due to cost of living. a higher stipend in NYC or LA than in Chapel Hill, for instance, isn't necessarily more walking around money.

This is a very important thing to remember. My funding package is very nice, but it comes with living in one of the most expensive areas of the country.

Anyone have a sense of what the typical funding package is like at Berkeley? Do they still fund all students? And which programs fly students out for the accepted students weekend? I can't tell if that's just a thing at Ivies or if it's across the board at top programs.

Congrats again to the acceptances! I'm sure we'll have lots more news in the coming week.

Anyone have a sense of what the typical funding package is like at Berkeley? Do they still fund all students? And which programs fly students out for the accepted students weekend? I can't tell if that's just a thing at Ivies or if it's across the board at top programs.

Congrats again to the acceptances! I'm sure we'll have lots more news in the coming week.

I don't know which ones do, but I know UC Davis did last year.

Not sure of the answer about flying out, but they do fund all students. The stipend is not going to be like that of an Ivy, most likely; Berkeley is a public school in a state undergoing a major and massive financial crisis in general and in higher education in particular. So...to whomever was talking about negotiating, the UC system is financially devastated right now, and Berkeley in particular--Berkeley tuition has been raised something like 45% in the past two years for undergraduates. Bargaining for money is probably not going to get you very far.

Edited by owls

As a general heads up, now that acceptences are coming in fast and furious...

There are a couple of schools with very highly regarded history departments that offer some level of funding, often year to year, who will try and tell you that it is easy to get yourself reclassified as an in state resident for tuition purposes. You should be very very skeptical of such a claim. I don't know if it's the departments or the PoI not knowing but just assuming or what. Get such information directly from the university administration not the department. Ask detailed questions about the processes.

I know some of you will decide to go to those places anyway, because they are beautiful places with amazing faculty and you assume that of course you'll get funding that second year or it wont be so bad... If you are going to violate the old rule about paying for a humanities PhD... at least know what you are getting into first.