Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Oh, wait, it was a personalized e-mail from IU DGS? Oh good grief. I don't want another conversation with him where things just end on a sad note!

They've cut back a lot in the last 5 years as a result of its efforts to fully-fund every single student while dealing with budget cuts. They first cut down to 20 students for 2010, all fully funded. For 2011, they cut back to about 12-15. Now... 10? Yikes. It's about time my subfield gets a spot for the last two years I've tried (and knowing that my POI there hasn't had a new graduate student in a while).

Hi all! I'm aware that this is probably a repetitive question, but since I've read about 30 pages of this thread without seeing an answer, here goes: is no word (and no interview) from Yale at this point a clear sign of rejection?

Sorry to bother you!

/Can I just say that this forum is making me nostalgic for the days of college confidential back in high school? Was anyone else a big contributor to that huge pile of neuroses? Because I was. Ooops.

Oh, wait, it was a personalized e-mail from IU DGS? Oh good grief. I don't want another conversation with him where things just end on a sad note!

They've cut back a lot in the last 5 years as a result of its efforts to fully-fund every single student while dealing with budget cuts. They first cut down to 20 students for 2010, all fully funded. For 2011, they cut back to about 12-15. Now... 10? Yikes. It's about time my subfield gets a spot for the last two years I've tried (and knowing that my POI there hasn't had a new graduate student in a while).

It was vaguely personalized, as opposed to "Dear Applicant". And I should hope that you don't get into a conversation with him, when it is a woman named Wendy!

Good luck! You've proven yourself well worthy this cycle! I wouldn't worry too much!

Siiigghhh. I'm beginning to feel like I wasted a lot of money applying for PhD programs when they don't want me (yes, yes funded MA I remember).

I wish someone would have told me not to bother and save up that money for two years down the line. Bah.

I thought I wAs the only one trying for the third time, but I come to find that second time around alot of ppl here like me got a funded ma and are applying now while finishing up a funded ma. I was bummed at first but, then I realized Im in a FUNDED ma program and can try again this year. And now ppl with MAs are more prepared now than b4 for a PhD. No worries. You have somewhere to go at the end of this process.

Edited by dukelover50

Oh...well... that's new. I wonder if it's to my advantage or not? :wacko:

Keikei, keep your head up! I know it hurts... it does. Really does but it'll only make you stronger. I was just you, in the last two cycles. with a MA in my hand!

I'm not positive that no interview from Yale is a clear rejection, but I think it definitely leans that way. I guess this year Yale graduate school has decided that all top applicants (whatever that means) are to get interviewed by profs before getting formal admissions offers. I didn't get an interview there, so I'm thinking that at best, it's a wait list.

Sigh, yeah, I still have two more shots at it this time, plus waiting until March to hear about the last MA. TMP, you show that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope in two years I'm not one out of between 300 and 600 competeing for less than 10 spots... BAH.

Oh... my god. I just got an e-mail from IU and it's actually a rejection. Wow. Okay, having a new DGS was definitely not to my advantage. :(

Now i don't have to decide between OSU and Indiana, which were my top choices! My job just got easier. :)

Oh... my god. I just got an e-mail from IU and it's actually a rejection. Wow. Okay, having a new DGS was definitely not to my advantage. :(

Now i don't have to decide between OSU and Indiana, which were my top choices! My job just got easier. :)

I'm sorry, TMP. *hugs* Where are you in the alphabet? Man...am I next??

Any further word on Hopkins? I live in Baltimore and I've yet to hear anything- I thought I'd read somewhere that decisions were mailed around the 2nd?

I want to go out on a limb and say that most people from Hopkins have been notified if they are either accepted or on the wait list. It seems that the people who are accepted or wait listed have been notified via e-mail, while the rejections are coming via snail mail. I wouldn't count yourself out quite yet, though, especially if you're in the Baltimore area and you haven't received anything in the mail. Good luck!

Edited by wikichic

Congrats, Safferz!!!

I don't know.. this just came to a shock. I was hoping that after two waitlists, the committee might just actually reward me with an acceptance. I think it'll take a little time to get rid of this sting.