Revised GRE

orst11

I just got done taking the revised GRE and figured maybe this would be helpful for others who are going to take this revised format.

First things first, I honestly will admit I didn't study, with the exception of taking one of the practice test on Powerprep, but after seeing preliminary scores I think I did fairly well. In comparison to the Powerprep, the test was a little harder. The verbal portion while different than before does require you to know some vocabulary, just in context though. As far as vocabulary is considered I think going over a word list from before definitely wouldn't hurt. The Powerprep verbal was far easier on the prep test I took than the actual test, so really I was caught off guard. The math portion on Powerprep was also a little easier. I had scored 800 on Powerprep, but I know I missed at least 2 questions on the math portion on the test. As far as type of questions, I would say it was mainly algebra and geometry and that's it for math and a lot of reading comprehension and complete the sentence questions on the verbal.

Secondly, where I took my test they weren't too familiar with the revised GRE, so if you have questions I would strongly advise to asking ETS not necessarily the testing center.

Thirdly, for the first few months they are giving you preliminary scores in the older format, so it should give you an idea on how you matched up to last years competition and those who have taken the old format. In November though they will be figuring out percentiles for the new format.

Overall, I think the new format will probably do a better job at accurately showing how a student will do in grad school, mainly because of the verbal portion. If anyone has questions about the test they can ask me.

Hi,

When you got the preliminary scores did you get a score range or just one number for each quant and verbal? The Kaplan prep has been giving a score range of 50-100 points for the subsections so I'm curious what the scores looked like. Thank you!

Hi,

When you got the preliminary scores did you get a score range or just one number for each quant and verbal? The Kaplan prep has been giving a score range of 50-100 points for the subsections so I'm curious what the scores looked like. Thank you!

At the end of the exam they simply gave an estimate with a range like you mention Kaplan does with their prep. I would say a little more acurate though in the 50 point range or so, the math portion for me was actually in a 100 point range. After taking the exam, I simply wrote these down once I got out of the test with a low estimate and an estimate if i managed to get on the higher range they gave me. I have already contacted a few schools that prefer you to respond with scores when applying, and they have said if I apply earlier then I get scores just to fill in when I took the test. Also as far as Kaplan's prep is considered I always have heard their test prep tends to be harder then the actual test so I would advise to also take a few Powerprep's along the way. Maybe you will realize you are actually doing better then what you have been doing.

Thanks for sharing! Did you have an unidentified experimental section during the test?

I had an extra verbal section on my test, since this was already my weak point I actually was frustrated once I saw an extra one. All the verbal portions I did take had similar difficulty levels.

Edited by orst11

Wait, so I'm a little confused about the scores they gave you at the end. For example, did it say you scored between 140-160, or did it use the old scoring like you scored around a 650-690?

Also, is the analytical similar to the old version?

Wait, so I'm a little confused about the scores they gave you at the end. For example, did it say you scored between 140-160, or did it use the old scoring like you scored around a 650-690?

Also, is the analytical similar to the old version?

I received tentative scores in the old scoring.For instance I am expecting around 700 and some on the Quantitative and around 550 on the verbal. I actually contacted ETS before hand and they said for the first few months they will be doing this while they figure out percentiles.

Really the only thing I can complain about is that I will have to wait until November to figure out actual scores.

As far the AW section is concerned not much has changed. Scoring is the same, but it is actually considered one section, 30 minutes for each task. Simply one analyze an issue and one analyze an argument, 30 minutes for each. From what I have been told by ETS, the issues are similar to old ones.

Hey , Do you still remember what topics of the argument analyze and issue analyze did you get? Are they selected from the pool or not?

My AW section included an analyze a topic on the importance of studying history and an argument task about instilling a mandatory driver's education program in this town for new drivers. No choice of choosing between any. As far as your second question I am not sure.

I also just took the Revised GRE on August 1st. Overall, I didin't think it was too bad. Due to the fact that I'm applying to engineering programs, I was focusing mainly on the Q section. I thought that the Q section was pretty similar to the ETS test prep, albeit I found the data analysis questions to be easier, while some of the algebra questions were harder.

At the end of the test it gave me a score range based on the old scoring system. I ended up with a V- 530:630 and a Q-730:800 (EV: V-580 Q-770).....although I'm not really sure how meaningful that is because of the new scoring system.

I had the additional V section as well. In my opinion, the verbal sections are a bit of a crap shoot. It seems a bit outlandish that you may be required to pick between involved and engaged for a sentence completion question.

My AW section was about whether or not your personal indentity comes from social groups.....which was rather difficult for me.

It will be interesting to see how all the new scores and percentiles work out.

Thank you guys for sharing! I'm also having to retake it, and I'll be taking it in September. It's nice to know more about what to expect when I take it.

I had the additional V section as well. In my opinion, the verbal sections are a bit of a crap shoot. It seems a bit outlandish that you may be required to pick between involved and engaged for a sentence completion question.

My AW section was about whether or not your personal indentity comes from social groups.....which was rather difficult for me.

It will be interesting to see how all the new scores and percentiles work out.

You're right that it is a crap shoot with the verbal, but it also was with the old version. I am rather glad they got rid of the antonyms

part, but it still matters a lot with test with what words you get. There might be an exam out there with words you are stronger with then the one you get. Oh well....

A minor offshoot, but I will also add my point just because everybody is dying to learn as much as possible about this revised test:

*Taking the test 8/31*

(7/1/11) Initial projected range: 1150-1350 (V:500-600 ,Q:650-750)

(8/3/11) Current projected range: 1350-1500 (V:600-700,Q:750-800)

*last three tests peaking at 1450-1600 (V:700-800 ,Q:750-800)*

To start off, I only bought the books that I needed to cater towards my needs and weaknesses; being that it's verbal, I bought Barron's New Verbal Workbook, Kaplan's New GRE Preimer /w CD, Barron's New GRE, Princeton Review's Crackin' the New GRE to tackle this issue(If you need assistance with quant, then I would suggest Gruber's).

Based off of my experience, I think it's best to first pinpoint what your weaknesses are and then do thorough research to buy the specific books that would best fulfill this need. Of course, the practice courses are extremely useful; but I would have to say that it's totally unnecessary if you have the self-drive to continuously push yourself - if anything, I would only pay for a Kaplan or Princeton Review Course for their immense plethora of materials (but, of course, we all know how ridiculous that is :D). In the end, I believe that it's just immense practice (if you need it) and to just continuously pound the questions and topics into your head until you understand it; but, also, make sure you have enough material so that you won't instantly recognize the questions with their respective answers (in my case I bought 5 books myself in addition to having access to well over 10 extra practice tests not included in the books).

Send me a PM if you want further information :)

Edited by chak

I think that the Kaplan and Princeton Review are good if you need to be helped along the way. They are also good and scheduling you a time to take a practice test on a regular basis, with testing-like conditions, with similar tests, and feedback after wards. But like I said before, if you can afford it, but adding that, if you need that sort of thing, and so on. They are good at forcing you to pay attention, if just because you payed for it.

itsnotjustme: Your score estimates are almost identical to what mine were. Also, like you mentioned the verbal was a little tricky in that they do throw in similar meaning words for questions that only involve one answer. Did you happen to get any any of the questions where you choose two of the words? I had a bunch of these on the Powerprep I did but only around 2-3 of them on the whole actual exam.

Regarding the questions where you had to choose two of the words, I think I had 3 on one section and 4 on the other two.

One other occurence on the test that I found strange was that my ten min. break ended and then I just sat there waiting for the test to continue. It turned out that I had to call over the proctor and have them physically enter a code to end my break and proceed with the test.

I wonder what kind of dark magic ETS is going to pull trying to normalize these new scores over the next couple of months...

I plan to take GRE in the last week of September and its only now that I have woken up to it. Do you guys think its manageable to practice for it within two months to get a decent score? Which will be the best books or sources to begin with?

I plan to take GRE in the last week of September and its only now that I have woken up to it. Do you guys think its manageable to practice for it within two months to get a decent score? Which will be the best books or sources to begin with?

With 2 months of practicing you should be fine. I read on the forum a few days before taking the test a few books for the revised GRE math. Check out that topic:

A lot of those I took a look at after the test and they seem to be pretty good. I would just recommend to look at more data analysis or graphs. For the verbal it seems to be more difficult to recommend something. The verbal section is definitely more of a crap shoot as some of us are coming to find out, but I would recommend you take a Powerprep just so you know the formatting and understand the reading comprehension questions. For the sentence completion questions I would recommend just going over some vocabulary just so you know the words that do come up.

Edited by orst11

With 2 months of practicing you should be fine. I read on the forum a few days before taking the test a few books for the revised GRE math. Check out that topic:

A lot of those I took a look at after the test and they seem to be pretty good. I would just recommend to look at more data analysis or graphs. For the verbal it seems to be more difficult to recommend something. The verbal section is definitely more of a crap shoot as some of us are coming to find out, but I would recommend you take a Powerprep just so you know the formatting and understand the reading comprehension questions. For the sentence completion questions I would recommend just going over some vocabulary just so you know the words that do come up.

Thanks. It clears up quite a few things.As far as I know, the Powerprep software on the ETS website has just 3 or 4 practice tests or maybe even less. Where should I look for more practice ?

Thanks. It clears up quite a few things.As far as I know, the Powerprep software on the ETS website has just 3 or 4 practice tests or maybe even less. Where should I look for more practice ?

While I didn't use any, I know McGraw Hill, Kaplan, Princeton Review, Barrons, etc. all have books on the new GRE. Some of these just came out a few weeks ago. I really couldn't afford these though, but truthfully you could always stop in at a local bookstore or library to see if they have any. Most of these mimic the actual test and have a few practice tests included. As far as the AW section just look on ETS's website because they have a pool of topics.

For those who have already taken it already, how are you dealing with waiting until November for the official scores, considering how close it is to needing to send out the scores? I know that they give you a basic idea of how you did and all. I can understand why they are doing it this way, seeing how the percentiles turn out with the change in the test. But I am taking it in Sept. and am sort of getting nervous about it. Not so much about taking the test itself, but about waiting for the 'official' results, mainly because it is all so close.....

For those who have already taken it already, how are you dealing with waiting until November for the official scores, considering how close it is to needing to send out the scores? I know that they give you a basic idea of how you did and all. I can understand why they are doing it this way, seeing how the percentiles turn out with the change in the test. But I am taking it in Sept. and am sort of getting nervous about it. Not so much about taking the test itself, but about waiting for the 'official' results, mainly because it is all so close.....

Yep, that's my major concern too. I am really, really worried about not knowing until it is basically too late to take it again. At least with Verbal and Quant, they will still tell you a range based on the old scoring system, so you will have some idea. But, for AW, you won't know anything until November, which is pretty worrying.

Hey. As for not being able to know - you should actually be fine. It gives you an estimated range of score based on the old test. For example, I just took the test today and even though I will not get my real score until November, the guess range was all I needed. If you can look at your school's previous GRE scores, just compare. For example, the average score of your dream school might be 650V. If 650 is within the range they give you as your estimate, then you should be fine, and only retake the test if you really want to push your score that much higher. You will absolutely know if you need to retake the test based on the estimated score given to you. If the range is far too low to what your goal was, re-take it.