funded MA programs?

BG7

I did my undergrad studies in the math and sciences, so I have very little background in history (I just took 2 semesters' worth of lower-div gen ed courses). However, I am considering pursuing graduate studies in History. I realize I won't get into any good phD programs with my background (and atrocious 490 verbal GRE score). What are the best ways for me to acquire the necessary history background so that I can get into the more competitive phD programs?

Are there any Master's programs that provide funding to its students and accept students like me without a History background? Or do I have no choice but to earn a second Bachelor's degree in History or take History classes as a non-degree student?

I just finished my MA and my BA was in Theatre. I did have over 30 undergrad hours in history related courses and a high gpa so I was able to make a compelling argument for admission (I also had a minor in French so I had one language under my belt). Most programs will want you to have around 30 hours of history courses on your transcript. I was also awarded a graduate assistantship for my two years of schooling, but I still had to pay tuition. With my background, I was not going to get into a fully funded MA program. However, I feel confident about applying to PhD programs this fall. I have been very well trained, I have a stellar transcript, a strong CV, and my department hired me to teach full time this year (not as an adjunct). I am afraid that if you are accepted to a MA program, funding will most likely not be offered. You might have to get another BA, or pay for your MA degree yourself. Perhaps someone else on this forum has more insight, but as someone who was an unusual MA candidate I know that it is possible to get accepted to a program and to do well. I did spend a lot of my first year in tears because I had so much learn, not only content, but style and format as well. Good luck!

I know someone who was in a similar situation (wanted to switch to history, after having done physics). He ended up doing a second BA in England. In some English universities (Oxford and Cambridge, in particular), it is possible to do a second BA in two years. So, basically, after two years, he had an Honors BA from a very prestigious university, which made it easy to apply to some of the better PhD programs.

I don't know if this might be an option for you, but if you're considering a second BA, it might be worth exploring this route. Although it is expensive to study overseas, the costs can balance out if you're getting the degree in only two years.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about MA programs that would accept non-History students. Maybe you can look at a Masters in History of Science or something like that. In that way, you could spin your science background as an asset, rather than a liability.

Good luck!!

I know that my MA university requires 30 credits of undergraduate history courses, so it may be worth taking some upper level classes in History. As for funded MA programs, they do exist. I know that TCU fully funds some of their MAs, and the university I am attending awards two students each year with a full scholarship and stipend. I'm sure people can get funding outside of Texas though, I'm just only familiar with the Texas area.

• 5 months later...

Hi: does anyone know anything about funded MAs in the UK?

They are pretty tough to get from the institutions themselves, since they have very few of them to begin with and most are restricted to UK or EU students. You can apply for some outside funded organizations (e.g. Fulbright) or sometimes there might be internal awards (e.g. college ones at Oxford or Cambridge or departmental awards). Most of the internal ones at best only cover tuition though, not cost of living so you need to calculate that as well. That being said, one year at a place in the UK including cost of living can often be about the same as one year (of two) in tuition alone at US MA institutions.

Thanks for that ... I am making alternative plans in case the results don't go as I expect them to ... I am hearing a lot of people say that an MA really strengthens your candidacy and I am looking at an overseas MA as my plan B since they tend to do it in a quicker time frame than the US ... the only issue I could see was the financing

I would say just to apply to it's history department for whatever your interested in. They have public history and thesis track history. They have a funded ma program too which is quite rare since most ma programs aren't funded. They have it only because they have only a terminal ma program and not a phd program. Give them a look.

Several of the MAC schools offer funded MAs. Ohio U funds basically all of their MAs, we fund some of ours, I think Western funds a good many of theirs. NIU funds some, and so does Kent St. I think.

Good Lord! I did not do due dilegence as far as researching funded MAs. Once you start hearing 'oh they rarely fund MAs' at xyz schools, you sort of assume it's a trend and allow yourself to be moved into direction. No excuses.

You may also be able to get creative with funding. At my school, for example, there are lots graduate assistantships available outside the department, many of them administrative. You just apply for them like any other job, and they come with tuitition remission, a stipend, and health insurance in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. The thing is, these don't come as part of your funding package, and you may have to accept the offer before securing a GAship. But everyone I know who has wanted one has received one in the past few years. Mine has been fantastic - I work in a special collections library.

Is something like this available to PhD students as well?

I guess so, although most GAships probably can't be maintained for 5-6 years. I also think it would be hard to maintain a 20 hour work week as a PhD student while studying for comps, etc. I know that TAships are extremely time consuming, but they're at least usually in the field of history, whereas a GAship could have you doing anything. To fund a master's program, I would totally recommend it, but for a PhD program I think it would be a difficult path.

All that being said, it's been great for me. I accepted the admission offer at my program hoping but not knowing for sure that I would end up with this arrangement. It's given me valuable work experience AND kept me out of the poor house!

Well I meant for the first year or two, b/c if you can't stable funding by your 3rd year you're in a serious problem, I would imagine, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Youngstown State University in Ohio offers a funded MA program in History. There are approximately 9 GA slots, which provide tuition remission and a stipend. There aren't 9 slots open every year since Grad Assistantships are renewable for a 2nd year.

I can't speak to GRE requirements, but you do need to have 16 hours of undergraduate history coursework.

Youngstown State University in Ohio offers a funded MA program in History. There are approximately 9 GA slots, which provide tuition remission and a stipend. There aren't 9 slots open every year since Grad Assistantships are renewable for a 2nd year.

I can't speak to GRE requirements, but you do need to have 16 hours of undergraduate history coursework.

What kind of responsibilities do the GAship bring?

What kind of responsibilities do the GAship bring?

Duties vary by GA assignment and what the responsibilities and interests of the GAs' supervising professors are. Most GAs (including myself) are shared by 2 professors. All GAs are responsible for occasionally grading assignments, covering classes, proctoring exams, and research. Our department runs the Ohio Historical Center of Industry and Labor and some GAs are assigned to work at the museum. I'm assigned to the 2 professors in my dept that are editors in chief of academic journal, so while I do grade, cover classes, proctor, and research occasionally, most of my time is devoted to acting as the editorial assistant for one journal and as the assistant editor or the other.

Duties vary by GA assignment and what the responsibilities and interests of the GAs' supervising professors are. Most GAs (including myself) are shared by 2 professors. All GAs are responsible for occasionally grading assignments, covering classes, proctoring exams, and research. Our department runs the Ohio Historical Center of Industry and Labor and some GAs are assigned to work at the museum. I'm assigned to the 2 professors in my dept that are editors in chief of academic journal, so while I do grade, cover classes, proctor, and research occasionally, most of my time is devoted to acting as the editorial assistant for one journal and as the assistant editor or the other.

WOW so even at the masters level I could potentially get some teaching experience? Can that be reflected on a PhD app or is it looked down upon?

WOW so even at the masters level I could potentially get some teaching experience? Can that be reflected on a PhD app or is it looked down upon?

I'm a GTA right now and at my school we get assigned to one prof in lower level history courses with 70-80 students. The pay is minimal but there is a tuition waiver. We do 50% of the grading, help create exams, and lecture three times each semester. I discussed this in my applications because I thought it gave me a lot of good teaching experience so I hope they don't look down on it. I was also told to add it to my CV as teaching experience and as an award.

I wouldn't necessarily qualify what I do as teaching. Our department does not have TAs (other depts do, such as in the sciences), but I have designed and run computer lab assignments, etc.

I can't fathom that it would be looked down upon.

My master's program (which I'm convinced utterly prepared me for phd apps) has a number of ways to gather teaching experience. While we don't get tuition waivers, we get academic credits for TAing. So, they treat the TA as a class, where you learn strategies from the professor, constantly reflect and write about it, lecture, and receive a grade. this is somewhat betterthan being handed a stack of papers to grade (which I see other depts do). Once you've completed the TA class, there is the possibility of funds to TA. Either way, if you've TAed or plan to, its great to list as teaching experience as long as you emphasize its efficiency in preparing you for college level teaching.!