Divinity School degrees: definitions and destinations, please?

DaisyO

Hi,

I need some help. I would like to apply to the Yale Divinity School, but I don't have a religious studies or seminary background. As and undergrad I attended art school in New York and later I got my MFA at the Yale School of Art. I am very interested in the history of Christianity, my faith background is Society of Friends (in my family) and Episcopalian (went to Episc. church for several years on my own). What I am really interested in studying is a history of liturgical practices in different time periods, churches, and denominations, focusing on contemporary variants. I am also interested in the role of visual art in the church, again in a comparative sense.

Although I am strongly drawn to study in this area, I don't know what the degrees offered by Yale mean, or what you do with them once you get them. I don't think I want to go into the seminary, since my interest is more historical/sociological. If somebody could tell me what these degrees mean and are used for, I would be most grateful. Here is the description from Yale's website:

"YDS offers the Master of Divinity (MDiv), the Master of Arts in Religious Studies (MAR), and the Master of Sacred Theology (STM)."

Clearly I don't have the religious studies and/or liberal arts background they suggest potential applicants to be prepared with, but as an art student I learned quite a bit about religious history via the study of art history. I have no idea what my chances of being admitted would be (slim, I expect), but I took a class with a Divinity School professor when I was in grad school and I loved it; I love the campus and area as well. That's why I feel so strongly about applying to Yale specifically. I understand that this is pretty unrealistic and that I'd have to prepare myself ahead of time with some reading, etc. However, If I could get some insight into the meanings and applications of the various degrees they offer, I would be in a much better position to evaluate whether or not to apply.

Thanks so much for your help, anonymous friends!

ps. at the risk of asking for too much, can you suggest anything I might read. I realize I'm an amateur here, so thank you for humoring me.

• 1 month later...

The M.Div. is a ministerial degree. While highly academic, it is the basic degree you would earn if becoming a minister is your goal. The M.A.R. is a basic academic degree and not meant for a would-be minister, but possibly for someone looking toward doctoral work exclusively. The S.T.M is an advanced degree for someone who is already a minister and would like to sharpen his/her skills and/or go on to doctoral work. Since you are not looking to be a minister, you would probably be looking at the M.A.R.

I don't know much about Yale, to be honest. However, you might want to check out Fuller. They have a Theology and the Arts concentration in their M.A. in Theology program.

I hope this helps. :-)

• 3 months later...

Yale accepted me for the MAR in History of Christianity with a BA in Art History (though I had some religious studies coursework on my transcript). So, personal statement trumps transcript in my experience.

I know YDS has a concentration for the MAR in "Religion and the Arts" that, to my understanding, combines study in the Div School with further training in the relevant department of the university (e.g. literature, visual art). From your brief description of your interests, that seems your best fit.

Edited by chicagodivstudent