2012 App Season Progress

So, of course, I will be applying this fall for next year. While I have been studying for the GREs and narrowing down my school choices, other than that, I don't have much done. I have been thinking about my SOP, LORs, and the Writing Sample, but I haven't DONE anything about those yet. Am I totally behind? I'm curious to hear what other people who are applying this season are doing or have done so far.

Hi,

I just took the revised GRE 2 days ago...it was pretty stressful and I didn't do well. I haven't started my SOP yet although I have been narrowing down schools and preparing professors that I will request LORs from them in the next few months. I am still taking prereqs, working, and planning a wedding, so it's pretty hectic...so you're not behind at all! just follow up with the school deadlines and you will be fine.

Hi,

I just took the revised GRE 2 days ago...it was pretty stressful and I didn't do well. I haven't started my SOP yet although I have been narrowing down schools and preparing professors that I will request LORs from them in the next few months. I am still taking prereqs, working, and planning a wedding, so it's pretty hectic...so you're not behind at all! just follow up with the school deadlines and you will be fine.

You took the revised GRE? Any advice? I took the old version last month because I thought I would do better, but I didn't do well at all so I am going to try my chances again with the new version.

I'm taking the subject test in October. I'm using my general score from my MA program. My writing sample is about 98 percent revised, and I have a very rough draft of my SOP. Two professors have already agreed to write LORs, and one said she speak with me in September when she gets back to the city. I have twelve schools on my list, but I'm looking for three more; I was told to apply to at least fifteen. Anyway, I'm also submitting to a conference--deadline September 15th. I've started researching...so much to do...Plus, I work 45+ hours a week. Needless to say, I'll have a really exciting life for the next several months. Hopefully, in the end, it will all pay off.

i would get in touch with professors and confirm they'll write the LOR, and let them know when your deadlines are (and I definitely recommend giving them/yourself at least a week's buffer on the deadline...one of my professors submitted mine late which gave me a heart attack, although it ended up working out fine).

Regarding the SOP, if you know what you want to write, then I don't think you need to do it right now. I didn't know anything about them so I spent time begging successful samples off of other students and reading them, as well as outlining mine (and I was tweaking mine right up to the deadlines). I left myself enough time to have several people read it and offer comments.

One thing I did which was helpful was creating an Excel Spreadsheet of all my schools, with columns for Lit GRE Required/Not Required, Professors of Interest, Deadline, Username/ID for Application, URL for Application, Length for POS, Length for Writing Sample, Number of Writing Samples, Number of Recommendations, Funding, etc. It made it a lot easier to streamline everything when it came time for submitting.

Souslespaves, I've done the exact same thing with the Excel spreadsheet. It's really helpful! I've found it useful even just for comparing schools. It's so easy to just cross them off the list when you have all that info compiled. What I've found especially helpful is to put professors of interest and special collections of interest on the list. When certain schools have like 5 lines filled up with that information as opposed to one, it's so easy to eliminate programs one by one.

Timshel, I don't necessarily think you're super behind. I think it's up to you to gauge how busy you are this summer as opposed to this fall. Personally, I've so far narrowed down my list of schools to about 15 (I'm aiming for 10), studied like crazy for the subject test (which I'm taking in October), started revising my writing sample (and I'm taking a sadistic pleasure in ripping it apart), and started "thinking" about my SOP. I've already tentatively asked my 3 profs for LoRs, and so I'm not going to bug them about it yet. I have, however, started e-mailing the profs in my department to ask questions/prep them for my craziness come this fall. (I'm especially worried about my advisor. She was on sabbatical last year, so I had another prof who loves me advising me. I haven't had a class with my real advisor since freshman year, and I was scared to death and never spoke. Grrrrr.)

Where I'm behind is the regular GRE. I haven't yet taken it, but I'm planning to I think Sept. 3. I haven't even registered, though!! Fail.

I think you're fine! I keep forgetting that I still have nearly 4 months before I have to actually apply. I kind of wish it was sooner, to be honest! Less time I have to stress out! Though I've never before fully appreciated my school's super-long break. (I go back in September because we're on a trimester system.)

There are so many things to take into consideration in this process, and the deadlines will really creep up on you. If I could throw out one suggestion I'd say try and bump all of your deadlines forward by at least a couple of weeks to allow for potential glitches. If your app is due Dec 1st, it's now due Nov 15th -- that kind of thing. Even though I had some that were a month apart, I pretty much set myself one deadline for the completion of everything and tried to stick to it.

Most of my deadlines were the first week of Dec, but you can usually start entering the application way in advance. By doing this, you get to see the nuanced stuff that each program requires (I had to write a couple of surprise 200-word blurbs about specific topics at last minute) and also make the final submission a little smoother. Also allow for some net congestion (servers going down under pressure etc.) and general interface problems in the final week of submission.

I did all my research in the Spring / Summer alongside studying for both GREs (which I took in Sept and Oct). I also had a potential framework with several drafts of my SOP wrapped up before the fall semester kicked in. During the fall semester, I worked on condensing a thesis to article length to use for the WS, while continuing to tailor the SOP and work on the other parts of the application. All LOR writers were contacted and provided with an early SOP draft / WS abstract by the first week of Oct.

Keep in mind that some programs want a comprehensive SOP that places your academic interests alongside your personal history whereas other want them separated. Some ask for a diversity statement (which is a twist on the personal history statement) and some ask for statements of teaching philosophy. In other words, if you're drafting frameworks to base your tailored SOPs on, be prepared to rewrite to address different requests. Make sure you have copies of transcripts all ready to go too (although some programs don't need them upfront). I had a bunch of paper copies, and scanned versions that I could attach to e-apps.

Although few programs do the snail-mail thing anymore, be on the watch out for those that do -- specifically how they handle it. UofT is particularly mind-bending in their process, requiring both electronic submission as well as paper, both going to different departments. Although I didn't apply, I seem to remember that Michigan does something similar.

There are just a few thoughts to chew on; and sadly, that's just a small part of the whole process. There's a lot to think about, but good organization will help immensely.

Edited by truckbasket

Hi All!

I'm what you'd call a "lurker," but, maybe it is time to quit lurking.

I think compared to you all I'm a little behind in the application process. I'm currently doing some research for my writing sample, still need to contact my profs for LORs (though, I've already mentioned it to them I haven't formally asked yet), I haven't taken either GRE but I am studying daily, and I'm still in the thinking stages of my SOP.

I have, however, narrowed down my list of schools to apply for, though I'm only applying to five. If I don't get in to my ideal school, I'm kind of ok with that at the moment and will apply to more next year. I guess this is kind of a trial run for me!

Now I know I need to get my butt in gear :D No more wasting time!

Okay, so it looks like everyone is planning on the subject test in October, which makes me feel like I shouldn't chance it and wait until November to take it.

Also, I've narrowed down my schools to 12, but I'm afraid that might be too many money wise and to ask for letters of recommendation. I know it's better to apply to more to give yourself options, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone or my bank account.

Edited by Timshel

I get the feeling that, if you apply to 10, applying to 15 isn't much more hassle for your profs. You are definitely right about the money though. That's a thousand dollar investment at 70 a pop. My list is looking more like 10 now, but that can/will change I'm sure. I've got recs spoken for, but 2 of the 3 asked to see an SOP as soon as possible, so that's been my task of looming terror for the last few weeks. I'm basically giving them a general version, as each school will probably be a bit different. I'm hoping they can give some feedback as well, though they are about to get busy. That's one reason I'm glad I asked earlier this summer. Has anyone been reaching out to faculty/grad students at schools?

Most applications I've looked into seem to open around Sept 1st-15th, which is kind of a bummer since I was hoping to get started before heading back to work. I'm also taking the subject test in October and I'm taking the revised GRE next Tuesday. The practice test I took for the revised was easier in the Verbal dept. than the one I took for the older test ages ago. The whole scoring system is changing though, so here's hoping that was a good choice! Souslespaves, I like your style on the spreadsheet. I used to do the same thing for scheduling undergrad classes [nerd alert ;)].

I have narrowed my list of possible programs down to about 15, and I plan to apply to 10.

I have spoken to a few current professors and grad students with whom I had an "in," so to speak, for generalized advice and insight, and I expect to contact a few more as I finalize my list of programs.

I have taken the (old) GRE General Test and scored a ridiculously high score on the verbal portion, mediocre on the math. I am taking the English Lit. Subject Test in November. I took this my senior year and bombed on it, but I have been out of school for a few years and, having looked over the study guides and practice tests, feel much more confident - those extra years of reading seem to have improved my breadth of English Lit. trivia!

Last semester, I took a graduate course at one of the schools in my top five (because I work there, so it's free!) and made an A. I am going to ask that professor for reference letters soon. This fall, I am taking a course in my chosen sub-field (medieval) with a "star" professor who is one of the scholars I would most like to study under. I plan to also ask him for reference letters, and I am going to use the paper I will write for his class for my writing sample (which means I will have to complete and revise the paper a full month before it is actually due).

I also have an MA from a British university that is very strong in my sub-field, and am going to ask my MA supervisor there for reference letters, having approached him about it a couple of years back when I first seriously considered going back to do a PhD.

I have read some sample, successful statements of purpose from friends and acquaintances, and plan to start a rough draft in the next 2-3 weeks, although I am not too worried about this because I have a very strong idea of what I want to do any why (like I said, I've been out of the game for a few years, working at an R1, and come to this process with eyes wide open and a good deal of motivation).

I also have a full time job.

Anyway, I'm also submitting to a conference--deadline September 15th.

Would this be for the conference in Kalamazoo? If so, please let me know whether or not there's a link to the "theme" of this year's conference, as I can't seem to find one anywhere online.

And for those who think it's not a good idea to take the subject test in November:

I'm doing just that. The October test date for the Lit subject test falls on the same weekend I'll be out of town for a conference at which I'm helping my thesis advisor present a medieval play...long story...also my birthday is the same weekend. I've checked on most of the program websites (that are relevant to my own list of schools, at least), and they seem to concur that there is absolutely no problem with taking it that close to the deadline as long as you indicate that your score will be arriving after the rest of your application materials.

I can only afford to take the subject test once, since I've been saving for months just to make taking the regular GRE twice a possibility. I'm not going to stress too much about the subject test, though have heard the Norton Anthologies are the way to go in terms of study material. Other views on this are, obviously, welcomed with open ears (or rather, open eyes, which I suppose would be the more accurate organ in an online forum...).

Okay, so it looks like everyone is planning on the subject test in October, which makes me feel like I shouldn't chance it and wait until November to take it.

Also, I've narrowed down my schools to 12, but I'm afraid that might be too many money wise and to ask for letters of recommendation. I know it's better to apply to more to give yourself options, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone or my bank account.

See my above post on the subject test dates, and in regards to your LoRs, if you choose the right people to write them for you they shouldn't mind writing that many. Professors today know how difficult it is to get into graduate programs of all levels, and if they show signs of irritation with you for asking them to write what may seem like a lot of letters, maybe find another person to write some of them (by this I mean that not all of your 3 letters for EVERY school to which you apply need to come from the same 3 people).

***CORRECT THAT, SOMEONE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE, IF I'M MISTAKEN.***

Another option for letters of recommendation is Interfolio. Your professors only have to submit one letter of recommendation (either by uploading it or mailing it in) and then you can have it sent to the graduate schools. It's more $$ on top of everything else, but I think it's worth it to ensure everything gets sent to the right place on time (and it makes it a lot easier on your professors).

Another option for letters of recommendation is Interfolio. Your professors only have to submit one letter of recommendation (either by uploading it or mailing it in) and then you can have it sent to the graduate schools. It's more $$ on top of everything else, but I think it's worth it to ensure everything gets sent to the right place on time (and it makes it a lot easier on your professors).

I'm a little worried about that because shouldn't each letter be catered, even just a little, to each school? I know that when I write letters for my students, I always try to have a couple of things that I change in it so it looks catered to that specific location.

I'm taking the subject test in October. I'm using my general score from my MA program. My writing sample is about 98 percent revised, and I have a very rough draft of my SOP. Two professors have already agreed to write LORs, and one said she speak with me in September when she gets back to the city. I have twelve schools on my list, but I'm looking for three more; I was told to apply to at least fifteen. Anyway, I'm also submitting to a conference--deadline September 15th. I've started researching...so much to do...Plus, I work 45+ hours a week. Needless to say, I'll have a really exciting life for the next several months. Hopefully, in the end, it will all pay off.

Since you are already in NY, you should definitely look at the NYCEA conference (conference is in Utica at the end of September, abstract deadline is next week) and the NEMLA (a regional MLA conf--abstracts due by 9/30). NYCEA usually has a fairly large number of Rochester people, and NEMLA is also likely to have a heavy U of R presence (it's being held at St. John Fisher, right down the road from U of R). It would be a great chance to do some app-season networking without the need for heavy travel. Good luck!

Since you are already in NY, you should definitely look at the NYCEA conference (conference is in Utica at the end of September, abstract deadline is next week) and the NEMLA (a regional MLA conf--abstracts due by 9/30). NYCEA usually has a fairly large number of Rochester people, and NEMLA is also likely to have a heavy U of R presence (it's being held at St. John Fisher, right down the road from U of R). It would be a great chance to do some app-season networking without the need for heavy travel. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I will definitely check these out. I'm drawn to U of Rochester because of their practice of combining traditional approaches to medieval literature with cultural studies and contemporary theory. The work of every medieval faculty member somehow aligns with my interests, and I am really excited about the work they're doing. I'd like to work with Sarah Higley because of her work in the medieval notions of magic and monstrosity, as well as science fiction. In my MA thesis, I used Freud's deferred action as a way to analyze the relationship between medieval and modern accounts of the Black Death, specifically through its representation in a science fiction novel on the subject. Also, Alan Lupack, who works on Arthurian legends and their modern representations. I like to look at the connections between past and present and the temporalities involved in these manifestations.

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to PM you at some point and get your opinions on the program. It's definitely my number one choice! Thanks, again.

Edited by Jbarks

To Jbarks:

Asking you simply out of curiosity, I'm interested to hear whether or not you've done (or ever do, or plan on undertaking) much work and research involving Malory's Morte d'Arthur. I've taken a number of English classes that focused on Old and/or Middle English texts, truly love medieval literature, and rather consider it and Anglo-Saxon "lit" somewhat of a secondary "specialty," although I don't particularly plan to concentrate on medieval lit during my potential graduate research and writing (aside from in occasional classes I'll inevitably take if I do ever get into a program).

That being said, and I assure no offense is intended toward anyone...but Malory nearly killed me. Or rather, Malory nearly made me kill me. Perhaps because the Morte was the only lengthy ME text written in prose I've ever had to read in a class...

: ) I'm just wondering what someone like you, with significantly more background on the subject, might have to say about it. If anything.

I'm a little worried about that because shouldn't each letter be catered, even just a little, to each school? I know that when I write letters for my students, I always try to have a couple of things that I change in it so it looks catered to that specific location.

I've personally never heard of Interfolio, or really of any other comparable program, site, application, etc. that offers the same "convenience."

My advice to anyone who comes across this particular forum discussion is NOT TO USE Interfolio or anything like it. Timshel is completely right in expressing concern over one generic recommendation not really encompassing everything a valuable LoR should. I think about them as my LoR writers' supplement to my SoP--for each individual program or school. The personalized SoPs are great material for the LoR writers to use when they're composing bundles and bundles of letters that, ideally, all individually suggest similar senses of personalization written with one specific program or school in mind.

I haven't even Googled Interfolio yet, so literally know only what I've read here. I may very well be mistaken, but it just seems like a service that would end with applicants paying extra money for a handful of formulaic LoRs to submit to every program in which they're interested. Such an emotionless LoR could ultimately be that *one* application component that sets one hopeful on a tier below another, even if it's the only sign of differentiation between the two. Somewhere in a related TGC discussion a user posted something to the effect of a description of a rejection letter he or she received that specifically mentioned the LoRs as not being "gushing" enough. Or something similarly annoying yet now the thing I'll inevitably feel compelled to quote when talking to my LoR writers later this month... le sigh.

To Jbarks:

Asking you simply out of curiosity, I'm interested to hear whether or not you've done (or ever do, or plan on undertaking) much work and research involving Malory's Morte d'Arthur. I've taken a number of English classes that focused on Old and/or Middle English texts, truly love medieval literature, and rather consider it and Anglo-Saxon "lit" somewhat of a secondary "specialty," although I don't particularly plan to concentrate on medieval lit during my potential graduate research and writing (aside from in occasional classes I'll inevitably take if I do ever get into a program).

That being said, and I assure no offense is intended toward anyone...but Malory nearly killed me. Or rather, Malory nearly made me kill me. Perhaps because the Morte was the only lengthy ME text written in prose I've ever had to read in a class...

: ) I'm just wondering what someone like you, with significantly more background on the subject, might have to say about it. If anything.

Ha! Yes, Morte is a lot to handle. I often find myself more interested in Malory himself rather than the text. I've read the Morte, and I've read criticism on it, but nothing ever serious. The various editions and convoluted contextual information is enough to drive me crazy. I am actually more interested in a 14th alliterative poem--The Alliterative Morte Arthure. It is not very well known, but wonderful to read. Arthur is portrayed as a tragic, epic hero rather than a romantic figure. Malory used the AMA as one of his sources, as well. I did my undergraduate thesis on the AMA and plan to continue working on it if I enter into a PhD program. You should give it a read...

On a side note, I see that your from Tennessee. Just commenting because I grew up in Chattanooga, and my family is still there.

I've personally never heard of Interfolio . . .

My advice to anyone who comes across this particular forum discussion is NOT TO USE Interfolio

Interfolio is the standard and most commonly used service in academia, although I've personally only run into while on faculty searches. Out of the hundred or so candidates we reviewed, there were fewer than five who didn't use Interfolio to provide us with their details. In fact many UGs provide their own version of the service for free, so using something like this is both very common for grad apps as well as during job searches. When you're on the market, it's somewhat of a requirement as it lends that degree of professional sheen similar to professional organization membership and whatnot.

Are you asking your LoR writers to tailor each of your letters for each program you apply to? That would certainly be very kind of them to do that, but it's not the norm. I've read hundreds of LoRs in my time and they're all enthusiastic, but generic. They're written and designed to be interchangeable so that they can be used in multiple situations. If your writers are willing to tailor each one, however, that's great! I can guarantee you'll be one of the few!

Edited by truckbasket

I am actually more interested in a 14th alliterative poem--The Alliterative Morte Arthure.

My final research paper for my last medieval literature class was on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Pearl. I'm very interested in the works linked to the "alliterative revival," and hope to keep expanding that paper (it never became as thorough as I originally wanted it to be, predominantly because I ran out of time before I managed to include much of my more interesting research, and had to turn it in if I wanted to graduate...).

Now I want to revisit it, despite the fact that it's already too long to be a good writing sample (I've already got a better one anyway). I'll definitely check out the alliterative version of the Morte you mentioned. Any particular edition you'd recommend? I've found that with medieval texts, the traditionally reliable publishers don't always provide the best editions for some reason.

Interfolio is the standard and most commonly used service in academia, although I've personally only run into while on faculty searches. Out of the hundred or so candidates we reviewed, there were fewer than five who didn't use Interfolio to provide us with their details. In fact many UGs provide their own version of the service for free, so using something like this is both very common for grad apps as well as during job searches. When you're on the market, it's somewhat of a requirement as it lends that degree of professional sheen similar to professional organization membership and whatnot.

Are you asking your LoR writers to tailor each of your letters for each program you apply to? That would certainly be very kind of them to do that, but it's not the norm. I've read hundreds of LoRs in my time and they're all enthusiastic, but generic. They're written and designed to be interchangeable so that they can be used in multiple situations. If your writers are willing to tailor each one, however, that's great! I can guarantee you'll be one of the few!

Fair enough, I suppose; like I said in my post this morning, I was writing my opinion based off what the previous user had said when describing Interfolio. Clearly I was at least somewhat mistaken, so my apologies for sounding too harsh or anything.

But yes, my LoRs will be at least somewhat personalized for each program or school to which I'm applying; I've been working on a detailed spreadsheet for my writers that indicates which programs I'm especially interested in. Not surprisingly, those are typically the ones I also have the most details thought out toward already, at least in regards to my desired research focus or concentration, faculty members under whom I'd hope to work, etc., which are bits of information my two main writers said has usually been helpful when composing really exceptional LoRs.

Also, the "two main writers" I mentioned I can explain, in case others have advice or thoughts on this strategy. Two professors are writing letters for every program to which I'm applying. One has known me for years and is my thesis advisor, also now one of my close friends. The other was super excited when I asked if she'd write for me, and said she loves writing LoRs and is evidently quite good at them.

For the third letter most programs request, I'm getting various other professors that like and respect me, and also know me both as a student and as a person. There's one professor who will likely do the majority of the third letters, but for a few schools I've asked professors of the nature just described that earned their own Ph.D.s at the same programs to which I'm applying. So, for instance, one professor I asked whose doctorate was received at Chapel Hill is thus far only writing that one letter for me. Similar situation for UVa and I think OSU as well.

Anyone have positive or negative feedback on this? Is it actually better to have the same three people write every letter for every application?

Just remembered this question I've been meaning to ask: Is it worthwhile to send 4 LoRs if the instructions say they demand a "minimum of 3"? Is it worthwhile if they say more specifically that they "need 3"?

What I meant by "tailoring" is at least mentioning the school in particular at the beginning of the letter. ie " I think Jane Doe would be an excellent candidate for X University, especially because of their blah blah blah" and then the rest is generic, or the same thing for every letter. That is what I do for my students. I just change a few words here or there to reflect the place specifically.

What I meant by "tailoring" is at least mentioning the school in particular at the beginning of the letter. ie " I think Jane Doe would be an excellent candidate for X University, especially because of their blah blah blah" and then the rest is generic, or the same thing for every letter. That is what I do for my students. I just change a few words here or there to reflect the place specifically.

I think this is probably one of those issues that will inherently result in varying opinions based on how both individual applicants and LoR writers approach the idea of "tailoring" recommendations. A number of legitimate discrepancies factor into the level of personalization one LoR writer feels is worthwhile and/or necessary, and they seem obvious enough that I don't feel the need to detail each one right now. In my opinion, an LoR doesn't magically become more useful for a program's adcom just because it's more tailored to their own school and program. One that might technically be situated on the more "generic" end of this LoR spectrum could easily manage to convey a certain applicant's strengths or high potential to succeed at a school better than another applicant's LoR which, though written with the same school in mind and thus including pertinent details toward that regard, might fail to provide a necessary sense of confidence and enthusiasm that the LoR writer is presumed to have for the applicant to some extent.

Anyway, that musing is probably a huge blob of stating the obvious, but I didn't want to see this discussion turn into an argument when there are so many reasons why there's not going to be a universal "right answer" concerning the matter.