2012 App Season Progress

I would just say that transferring in graduate school, as I understand it, can be a deeply, deeply sticky process. To transfer out of a funded PhD program without the blessing of the department you are leaving strikes me as suicidal. Academe is a small world, and individual disciplines are even smaller still. People take offers and acceptances of those offers very seriously, and in fact attending some programs involves signing formal contracts about your intentions. Additionally, understand that leaving behind a funded line can often mean that the department loses that line, and you can imagine how unpopular such a thing would be. I know someone who transferred from a funded PhD program to another, but she was following her advisor, and did so with the full knowledge and blessing of the department she was leaving behind.

Personally, I think attending a program with the foreknowledge that you're going to leave it, without being upfront about that plan when you apply, is deeply unethical. Your own position may vary. But I promise that in the small, deeply networked world of academics, leaving a program hanging is not a good idea for long term professional success.

Second, I want to say that I think this discussion is employing a reductive understanding of what school quality means. Yes, there are indeed differences in perceived program quality, and they are very important for hiring decisions. Perhaps they can even be responsibly divided into ordinal lists. But there are heaps of complexity. Consider my specialization, rhet comp. I know of several rhet comp programs that have never-- never-- failed to place one of their doctoral students in a TT job. That's a product of a lot of factors. In large part it's a numbers game; there's much fewer of us. Partly it's institutional and political pressures on the university. In any event, a list of top rhet comp programs and a list of "top 20 English PhD programs" would look remarkably dissimilar.

The point is just that talking reductively about "top 20" schools as though that's a concept separate from the individual areas of disciplinary focus, or separate from the faculty at a program, or from your individual major professor/advisor, is not productive for a discussion of who's going to get hired and who isn't. You can ask some of the many, may PhDs from top 20 programs who can't get TT jobs. They'll tell you.

If the question is just whether to pursue a job as an English professor or not, the answer is probably no. The general numbers are that bad.

While I know I'm not in a literature degree (and thus facing the pressures of the lit job market), my feeling is this: a top school is worthless if it's not the best fit for you and your scholarship. You can't just get a job off of a transcript. You need solid support that allows you to build a strong body of work, allows you a range of formative experiences (like teaching, research fellowships, etc.) and gives you access to strong LoRs. If State University X is what helps nurture you into a strong scholar with this kind of portfolio come job market time, then you're best off going there.

Reputation is important to a degree—you should certainly seek out well-reputed programs and faculty—but I've just never been of the opinion that pedigree is the be all, end all. Remember: fit fit fit fit fit! Recommendations for pursuing solid, mid-ranked programs is still a vote of support: this process is such a crapshoot, it's hard to guarantee acceptance to any kind of institution.

I'm actually incredibly thankful I didn't get into my Ivy during my first application round (2009). I probably wouldn't have taught comp, and therefore wouldn't have discovered my love for rhet comp.

I was asking if Timshel was applying to U of F and what Timshel thought of the school.

I think it suits my interests well. Why, did you have a specific question about it?

For everyone else, how are things going? I am so glad to have the GRE out of the way so I can......oh yeah.....study for the GRE subject. Boo. lol

Things are going like a big mess! My GRE is tomorrow at 12:30, and I'm constantly making stupid mistakes on my practice tests. My math is dismal, which is not what it should be b/c I've been studying. I'm falling for all the traps, I just dunno what to do. I had to spend time preparing for a presentation in one of my classes that I really didn't have time to do, but I got it done.

I've been emailing my number one choice program back and forth for the past two weeks, and I'm so hopeful tomorrow is going to rock and I'll get GRE scores high enough to compensate for the fact my professors refuse to give me A's. I'm really worried it's not going to happen, and that ultimately I'm not going to get into that program. I went back and found an old paper I'm going to use as a writing sample, but other than that... I haven't started a single application yet... tear... I need to at least try and stand out...

Things are going like a big mess! My GRE is tomorrow at 12:30, and I'm constantly making stupid mistakes on my practice tests. My math is dismal, which is not what it should be b/c I've been studying. I'm falling for all the traps, I just dunno what to do. I had to spend time preparing for a presentation in one of my classes that I really didn't have time to do, but I got it done.

I've been emailing my number one choice program back and forth for the past two weeks, and I'm so hopeful tomorrow is going to rock and I'll get GRE scores high enough to compensate for the fact my professors refuse to give me A's. I'm really worried it's not going to happen, and that ultimately I'm not going to get into that program. I went back and found an old paper I'm going to use as a writing sample, but other than that... I haven't started a single application yet... tear... I need to at least try and stand out...

Just calm down. All the practice tests I did the night before were projected a hundred point range that was a hundred points lower than what I actually got the next afternoon on only 3 hours of sleep. I also improved my math scores by at least 100 points (the lowest number in my range was 80 points higher than what I got the last time I took the exam.

Also, I haven't started any apps, either, so you're okay. Just take deep breaths.

I know I will be ok when my butt is in the chair and I'm staring at the screen. I will find my little zone when I'm there. It's everything leading up to it that scares me. In my dreams last night, there was chemistry on the GRE. I dreamed about electrons and chemical reactions. That has absolutely nothing to do with the actual test, but it's like the worst possible math scenario: chemistry. I laid in bed before I fell asleep and did vocab flashcards until about one, then woke up at like 6:45 in the morning. That's the earliest I've gotten up in a while. I'm never out of bed until after 8am >_<

But since I'm up, the sun is shining, the birds are tweeting, it looks like rain off in the distance... for all intents and purposes, today looks promising. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

for every one who wants a fantastic story to reflect on their lives not being a crappy as mine...

my testing site was moved.

Yes. You read that. My TESTING SITE was moved. I registered for the test at the site I took the last two, plus my state teacher exams... I showed up and it was closed down with a cute little sign that told me the address of the new site. I did not receive any special instructions via email, nada. Just the same old confirmation email that I get every time, but with a different address. Same testing site number, but different address. Thank God I had someone I could call to figure out where this place was, b/c it was in a part of town I never had been before. I showed up along with everyone else to take the test, we all looked confused. They were out of the little orange ear plugs, and of course all the staff was insanely loud outside, talking and laughing while I tried to take the test. I got a 100 point range on both the verbal and qual, so I might have done better or I might have done exactly the same, or maybe slightly worse. The vocab was not that hard but the RC were wordy. So now that I am done with that and may have only slightly improved my chances of getting in to any of the schools I'm applying to, I can start working on my writing sample and statement of purpose. Wee.

for every one who wants a fantastic story to reflect on their lives not being a crappy as mine...

my testing site was moved.

Yes. You read that. My TESTING SITE was moved. I registered for the test at the site I took the last two, plus my state teacher exams... I showed up and it was closed down with a cute little sign that told me the address of the new site. I did not receive any special instructions via email, nada. Just the same old confirmation email that I get every time, but with a different address. Same testing site number, but different address. Thank God I had someone I could call to figure out where this place was, b/c it was in a part of town I never had been before. I showed up along with everyone else to take the test, we all looked confused. They were out of the little orange ear plugs, and of course all the staff was insanely loud outside, talking and laughing while I tried to take the test. I got a 100 point range on both the verbal and qual, so I might have done better or I might have done exactly the same, or maybe slightly worse. The vocab was not that hard but the RC were wordy. So now that I am done with that and may have only slightly improved my chances of getting in to any of the schools I'm applying to, I can start working on my writing sample and statement of purpose. Wee.

They did this to me last year too (for the subject test, though)- it really messes with your zen test-day attitude!

Well done, though, for getting through it - now you can move on to the important stuff!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, people. I've been a lurker around these parts for a while. I've decided to join the discussion as we approach deadlines and things become more stressful.

I took the revised GRE two days ago. According to my range: 750-800 (V), 480-580 (Q - lol). I am SO thankful I don't have to take some pointless subject test.

Now I'm obsessing over Every. Single. Word. of my SOP and writing sample.

I graduated in May and was thinking it would be nice and relaxing to take a year off, but this might be more nerve-racking than classes!

Hello, people. I've been a lurker around these parts for a while. I've decided to join the discussion as we approach deadlines and things become more stressful.

I took the revised GRE two days ago. According to my range: 750-800 (V), 480-580 (Q - lol). I am SO thankful I don't have to take some pointless subject test.

Now I'm obsessing over Every. Single. Word. of my SOP and writing sample.

I graduated in May and was thinking it would be nice and relaxing to take a year off, but this might be more nerve-racking than classes!

You may want to consider taking the subject test, especially where you are applying (although you may want to double check on Cornell because they do require the subject test), because most of the applicants to those will have taken it, so if they are deciding between you and someone else, and that person has a good score on the subject test, then they are going to most likely choose them over you because they have something over you.

Progress:

LoRs approached and confirmed

Writing Sample and SoPs all in advanced revision stages; meeting professors and letter writers later this month for more feedback

GRE Revised Done (and very happy with!)

Subject Test Done

Transcripts requested and sent

Applications started and saved

CV updated

I'm basically on the home stretch at this point.

Well, GRE tests are finally all "done" (though pretty sure my score on today's subject test will NOT be pretty).

LORs asked for 3 out of 4 (alternates for American Studies vs. English PhD programs).

Online apps begun at a half of my 10+ schools.

Transcripts received to scan & upload. Still need to request transcripts to send to those schools that want them the old fashioned way.

Now for:

- researching faculty at my potential schools

- drafting SOP to show to my faculty advisors this month

- reworking writing sample (a chapter of my thesis that I'm supposed to be working on too...ha)

Trying not to:

- freak out

- cry

- hide until January

: )

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to say that I am incredibly behind, especially since I have two December 1st deadlines, and I am feeling very defeated. I just thought I would let everyone know my progress. ;)

I just want to say that I am incredibly behind, especially since I have two December 1st deadlines, and I am feeling very defeated. I just thought I would let everyone know my progress. ;)

I feel the same way. My school's on a trimester system and gets out for winter break before Thanksgiving, so we literally have two weeks of class left. I have a paper I haven't even started yet and an overwhelming amount of reading left in my other classes. I haven't even been thinking about grad school stuff for the past few weeks. Thankfully, I have a full week and a half between the end of the term and my applications, but that means that I only will end up having a week and a half to get things put together for my first application deadline on December 1st. I'm feeling overwhelmed, and I'm really no further along than I was three weeks ago. I still don't have a full draft of my SOP, because it's been stressing me out so much.

No wonder everyone told me to take a year off before applying...

Oh, well. I'm still feeling like I've made decent progress with my applications. Even if I haven't done a ton, I've been thinking about the process excessively, and I definitely feel a LOT more secure about my areas of interest and what exactly I'd like to study. I started going back and doing research on faculty while productively procrastinating today, and I realized that there were many areas I'd neglected to check regarding faculty (such as forgetting to look into those listed under cultural studies/theory or even comp lit people in some cases). I'm still holding out the hope that my application is strong enough to get me an acceptance somewhere. I mean, I know it's possible that it's not, but if I was feeling utterly hopeless I'd be waiting a year. And I'm not. We'll be okay!!

You are certainly not alone, Timshel. I caved and shelled out the money for a GRE prep course (verbal only) and made what I thought was some pretty significant strides, but the class ended three weeks ago and I have not done any additional studying or brushing up since. I haven't even registered for the test yet. My first deadline is December 8th. Lovely.

I feel like the only things really holding me back at this point are:

SoP Revisions

Writing Sample Revisions

Last-minute Swap-Outs of Schools

I had a good weekend with the SoP and Writing Sample and made tons of progress; the last one, not so much. I think I've decided that I need to root out a couple programs in rural areas, purely for strategic purposes. There are a couple really great programs in less competitive areas that I think I'd have a better shot at purely by merit of the fact they probably get a much lower volume of applicants.

I wish I could get more done, but I just have so much grading to do! For those of you who haven't taught yet, just you wait. The grading is endless!

I can attest to this, but I'm getting it down to a science slowly but surely; I've gone from 12 hours for one section at the beginning of the semester down to 7 now. Slowly but surely! The comp/rhet articles I read on paper marking tend to think that less is more anyway.

I can attest to this, but I'm getting it down to a science slowly but surely; I've gone from 12 hours for one section at the beginning of the semester down to 7 now. Slowly but surely! The comp/rhet articles I read on paper marking tend to think that less is more anyway.

I am trying, but sometimes it is so hard. This is my third year teaching, so I'm definitely doing better, but I teach 4 sections, so it's like thousands of pages of grading. Last year I taught 6 sections a semester and I almost didn't make it, so I cut back this year.

I am trying, but sometimes it is so hard. This is my third year teaching, so I'm definitely doing better, but I teach 4 sections, so it's like thousands of pages of grading. Last year I taught 6 sections a semester and I almost didn't make it, so I cut back this year.

6 SECTIONS? Yikes!

I feel like the only things really holding me back at this point are: SoP Revisions Writing Sample Revisions Last-minute Swap-Outs of Schools

the only thing that's been holding me back these past few months. now i'm really starting to feel it.

also, i worry i'm getting on LORs' nerves with these school swaps.