Are PowerPrep question Identical to Actual Test?

Sydney105

I am a junior and I want to start studying for GRE. I think I'm going to use Powerprep. My question is, are the practice test questions on powerprep identical to the actual questions you take on the test? The reason I ask is this because, I have a good memory which is good, but also can work against me because on the comprehensive and quantitative, I start memorizing the answer to the question, instead of really knowing them. So if the test questions are not identical to the practice test, then obviously my ability to memorize answers won't help me at all. Memorization should help me on the vocabulary section, but definitely not on any other section since I won't really know how to come up the answer myself if I don't recognize the question.

It's not that I'm lazy or stupid for that matter. But I took the practice test and I checked the answers on the ones I got wrong and retook the test and just after one viewing I knew the right answer to pick. So it's not like I'm purposely trying to go this route, but if it can help me get high scores, then I won't fight it.

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

I do not want to bully you, but you have not thought your question through do you? I mean seriously? You think all these people are struggling through the GRE because they cannot remember all the answers of two practice tests? I would suggest that you read more about the exam before asking these questions, let alone taking it (an advice I should have taken).

Edited by kalapocska

I appreciate your feedback. I am very new to this whole GRE thing, but I do understand memorizing one sample test is no big deal. Of course I have memorized several more since then. But my question is not really on my ability to memorize GRE questions. But are the practice questions identical to the test questions. I am assuming there is probably so many of them that you couldn't possible remember or view every test question. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, has anyone saw the same questions on the real test that they took during their practice test?

The only thing I can recall that I saw that mimicked the powerprep I took and my actual test was a few choices in the sentence completion section. They weren't the same question though. The concepts/format are the same, but really that's it.

My question is, are the practice test questions on powerprep identical to the actual questions you take on the test?

They are not identical. I didn't encounter a single problem in Verbal or Quant that I'd seen on any of my practice tests; you're better off learning how to solve or approach the problems than falling into the trap of memorizing answers - much like you're better off learning how to use new vocabulary words than simply define them.

Good luck!

I went through the ETS study guide and took the powerprep tests shortly before taking the GRE this month. I saw many questions on the math that were just like practice questions but with different numbers. Memorizing answers is not going to get you anywhere, but going through the questions and reviewing the solutions will definitely help you on the actual test.

None of the questions on my GRE were identical to any of the practice questions I did, both with PowerPrep and GRE prep books. There was one vocab word that I remembered having studied a day or two prior to the test, but it was contained within a question written very differently than where I had originally encountered it.

Although the questions aren't exactly the same, I and many of the people here consider Powerprep to be the most reliable indicator of your score. It's best to study out of another workbook, then intersperse your study period with Powerprep exams to see how much you improve. Good luck.