so where are you applying for an MFA and in what program?

jenmariepainter

• 2 weeks later...

deadlines past and fast approaching...

I might have to wait until next year:

SFAI, but not sure about others.

How much time have I had to fully research and loot at schools. Not much.

like many people, I'm juggling work, school, and trying to be in the same state as my spouse who moved for a job last September. This is the first week I haven't been busy for 18 hours a day since last January.

• 2 weeks later...

missashley, are there a lot of MFA theatre management programs out there? I always thought there weren't very many... Anyway, not applying but I used to really want to do theater management professionally. Good luck.

Thanks!

there are not very many and the ones that do exist are very different from one another. I have interviewed at each of my schools, and the faculty has been really impressive and also very welcoming and warm. it's tough competition for sure - Yale admits no more than 5 students a year, out of 300-400 applicants, and even fewer are able to double major with an MBA from the SOM. ah, well, what can one do... deep breathing is best i think

ash

• 3 weeks later...

hey all... i am also applying for theatre management programs... just found out i got into both of the ones i applied to - pratt and brooklyn college. am leaning towards b.c. because their program is absolutely amazing but have until monday to make a decision. would love to connect to other theatre management mfa's out there.

Hi!

That's me! I think it is just the two of us! I also visited Pratt before I applied - the program director, Monica Shay, was amazing. She and i kept in touch for a little bit. The program was not a great fit for me, though, and I ended up falling in love with columbia and yale. i am so jealous you have already heard!

ash

hi ash!

that's okay, we can represent :)

i also agree monica was amazing and also agree that pratt didn't seem like the right fit for me either. i'm pretty sure i'm brooklyn college bound. GOOD LUCK on columbia and yale though (you must have much better grades than i did :) ) and i hope you keep posting throughout so we can compare experiences!

best,

annalisa

Hello again

that is so exciting... congratulations on finding a school. I have my first big interview next week, and am so nervous that it will end on a "thanks for applying, but..."

I think it would be so cool to study in the city - hopefully developing connections that will make what i call a "masters in poverty" somewhat worthwhile :)

:P

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for an MFA in studio art at saic. I am losing my mind with the waiting...has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? or even received any word beyond the "we have your application" letter?

I applied for an MFA in studio art at saic. I am losing my mind with the waiting...has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? or even received any word beyond the "we have your application" letter?

I got a letter from SAIC about 3-4 weeks ago saying that they got my stuff (on this forum seems to be called the "cryptic" letter)

And about a week ago got a letter requesting an interview.

So... not sure, but that is what I got.

Justin

I applied to two departments at SAIC. I got a rejection letter from one last week, but it was dated from the beginning of the month. I called the school to make sure the other one didn't get lost in the mail and the guy told me that that particular department was still getting their replies together. Not all the departments do interviews but it is stated on their catalog which ones do. Good luck to you and me!

• 3 weeks later...