Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Someone posted a UCSB acceptance via website. (If you're here) did they direct you to the website via email or did you randomly check?

yes, it is me and the email directed me to the application website where the letter was. after the ugly ding from Michigan, it put me in a better mood ! Edited by ilovezvezda

tergellian, balderdash, RWBG, bodywithoutorgans and Tamboursg'sell CONGRATS GUYS!!!!! I am so happy for you!! Hopefully these will be the first (second and third :)) of the many good news you will hear very soon!! I really like it when people here bring good news, I really do.

as for OSU, three results yesterday (which no one claimed) and none today. that doesn't sync well with the results of previous years. not that i am entirely convinced that they are fake but what do you guys think?

ps. and tergellian, no more chainsmoking for you I presume :)

Edited by balthasar

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words. Let me just say that for anyone not succesful this year (and it's still really early on, so no-one should be worrying too much yet), my experience suggests that you shouldn't be too discouraged; I was rejected everywhere last year, and fully expected this year to be the same. All the best to everyone in the rest of the cycle; I think we may hear from a few more schools tomorrow!

Just got into UCLA with full funding. Dan Treisman sent me a nice email.

I was literally in the middle of nowhere in Turkey when I randomly checked my phone at 6am in the morning and got the email. Crazy.

I do comp pol Econ by the way

Good luck to everyone else!

Middle of nowhere in Turkey? Whereabouts? I'm in the area; that's why I ask. :) And congrats!

Edited by whirlibird

Wow,

Congrats for duke, umich & ucla! I hope those on waitlists will get in ultimately.

Also, is it possible the stanford remains silent? Last year the majority of notifications came out on the 4th (equivalent to the 3rd this year.

@whirlibird. I'm at the Turkey-Iranian border but will be in Istanbul tomorrow. Let me know if you are around. Oh and afterwards Im off to the 'stans so in case tergellian has some insights I would greatly appreciate it :).

Also, I'd like to thank the forum more generally and balderash in particular for offering such great advice. i'm convinced that without this very thread I would have made some very dumb errors in my app. Thanks again!

@whirlibird. I'm at the Turkey-Iranian border but will be in Istanbul tomorrow. Let me know if you are around. Oh and afterwards Im off to the 'stans so in case tergellian has some insights I would greatly appreciate it :).

Also, I'd like to thank the forum more generally and balderash in particular for offering such great advice. i'm convinced that without this very thread I would have made some very dumb errors in my app. Thanks again!

Aw, dude, that's pretty cool. I'm actually up on the Black Sea, but have a wonderful time in Istanbul and Central Asia! Are you doing research? I am all jealous of your travels. :)

Congrats to you likewise! I would like to attend and will probably end up going if they would be able to cover some of the cost of airfare given that I live in South Carolina. What about you?

I also plan to attend if I can get some travel/lodging expenses covered. I have been invited to two other visitation days in CA, so hopefully I can work something out in which I can hit up all three at once.

Awesome! Istanbul is super fun. Which 'stans? I'm envious, I would love to be traveling right now!

looking at the results survey, wisconsin seems to have sent out a batch of rejections this morning. haven't gotten one yet, so fingers crossed that i'm still alive there

My fingers are crossed, too. Good luck!