Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

February Fanaticism, ROUND TWO!

I'll hop on the Yale/Princeton boat and add Berkeley (what remains, I guess, since they've contacted some people already). Maybe official rejections from some of the schools that have been elusive thus far--i.e. Stanford, Yale, etc.

And, yes, congratulations to you Sunday admits! Weekends aren't safe, and neither is late, late at night! NO TIME IS SAFE! CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

Hoping Princeton is this week... and praying for an offer. If Yale and Stanford are done and Princeton gives me a "no," I'll be staring at a very difficult choice with respect to Madison. Take an offer and hope to live on ~$14k a year, or wait yet another year and hope for better funding?

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the same position... thoughts?

Balderdash, if things don't work out at Princeton (and I hope they do for you), I would seriously consider Wisconsin. First, they have an excellent program and your training will prepare you to be competitive on the job market. Although $14k is a relatively small stipend, the cost of living makes it viable. I have a number of friends in the program who have afforded to have reasonably nice apartments and decent lifestyles on the stipend. Madison also happens to be a very cool town, which is often overlooked by those who are not familiar with it.

Second, you've managed to secure two top ranked acceptances this year which reflects your competitive application; however, unless your portfolio would significantly change between now and next year there is a still a great deal of uncertainty about where you would be likely to get in. Waiting for a "better" offer when you already have a very good offer is a risky move, especially if you do not have concrete plans to enhance your application (ie. more classes, new LORs from well known professors, etc.).

Best of luck with the remaining notices and with your decision.

Hoping Princeton is this week... and praying for an offer. If Yale and Stanford are done and Princeton gives me a "no," I'll be staring at a very difficult choice with respect to Madison. Take an offer and hope to live on ~$14k a year, or wait yet another year and hope for better funding?

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the same position... thoughts?

I'm fully expecting a rejection from Princeton, but I do hope to hear soon.

Quite disconcerted about some Berkeley and Minnesota acceptances having gone out, yet having no news whatsoever on my front. Someone mentioned earlier that they might have dreamt or hallucinated that they actually applied; I am more worried I have been academically blacklisted, ha.

Just got an email from WashU, and my heart leapt a little. It was just them confirming that they received an update I submitted for my application a little while back. I can't take the waiting anymore!

Thanks adapt, great advice as always. This is the direction I'm leaning. Alas, shockingly, it's just not the ideal situation about which we all dream.

Who knows, maybe I'll get an RAship, pull in 17.5, and live the life of a fat cat.

For those waiting to hear back from Ohio State, according to the woman I was in contact with said we should hear from the office of graduate admissions by the end of the week.

Thanks for the update! Did she give any indication as to whether all of the acceptances were released yet or if there were any pending?

Thanks for the update! Did she give any indication as to whether all of the acceptances were released yet or if there were any pending?

No she did not, she said she could not comment on the decisions of the graduate committee.

Thanks adapt, great advice as always. This is the direction I'm leaning. Alas, shockingly, it's just not the ideal situation about which we all dream.

Who knows, maybe I'll get an RAship, pull in 17.5, and live the life of a fat cat.

I'd encourage consumption smoothing! Take out a small loan (say 3k a year) to supplement your stipend. When you weigh the total added debt (say 15k over five years) against the cost of taking a year off, I think the loan makes sense. Also, as a Madison grad, I feel like you'd get a job somewhere, so you would be able to pay off the loan with future earnings (hence consumption smoothing).

I'd encourage consumption smoothing! Take out a small loan (say 3k a year) to supplement your stipend. When you weigh the total added debt (say 15k over five years) against the cost of taking a year off, I think the loan makes sense. Also, as a Madison grad, I feel like you'd get a job somewhere, so you would be able to pay off the loan with future earnings (hence consumption smoothing).

RWBG, I've been a fan ever since Who said quants and quals couldn't be friends?

Edited by balderdash

got an email from harvard asking for a statement of financial resources. is this a standard thing they sent out to everyone?

I don't know but did you not fill one out straight after you submitted the application (in that separate financial application that was linked to after you submitted your application). Or is this different?

I don't know but did you not fill one out straight after you submitted the application (in that separate financial application that was linked to after you submitted your application). Or is this different?

apparently i missed that link. so then this is just making up for my own stupidity in december

got an email from harvard asking for a statement of financial resources. is this a standard thing they sent out to everyone?

I don't know. But last cycle when I applied, I also missed the financial statement form. By late Feb I found out the problem and emailed them about my mistake and wanted to provide that information. They replied saying that financial resource statement only matters for admitted students, and since I was not accepted (which I don't know until then), they decided it was no bother.

Edited by ginsburg

Just got an email from GWU, and my heart leapt a little. It was just them confirming that they received an update I submitted for my application a little while back. I can't take the waiting anymore!

Reading the first sentance of that made my heart leap :(

I haven't heard back from anyone yet :(

Reading the first sentance of that made my heart leap :(

I haven't heard back from anyone yet :(

I know the feeling. I haven't heard back from any schools either. I'm just assuming Chicago is a rejection at this point, seeing as they already sent out a bunch of acceptances. I just want to get some sort of response from my schools soon!

I don't know. But last cycle when I applied, I also missed the financial statement form. By late Feb I found out the problem and emailed them about my mistake and wanted to provide that information. They replied saying that financial resource statement only matters for admitted students, and since I was not accepted (which I don't know until then), they decided it was no bother.

I guess this differs among schools. Stanford asked me about financial matters as late as last Thursday, but by weekend I realized I am not among those who are accepted.

I don't think we should just yet (though of course you may if you wish!) -- if you look on the results survey from last year, they slowly leaked out their decisions. What's your subfield, ilove?

my subfield is comparative, how about you?

Btw, I just called the dept and talked a very nice lady who said that the committee actually just started to deliberate and the initial acceptance offers were preliminary and only limited to a short list of people. She said to expect news sometime next week. She also advised me 3 times not to panic yet! So, the ones who are already in should be proud of their accomplishments and let's hope that some more of us will get good news from ND.