Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Wow. I just read over the posts on "". I'm so impressed with the SOPs posted! They're so much better than the ones I consulted on other boards last fall. Granted, those people apparently got into very good schools. But the ones from this season... they just seem so focused and well articulated. I can definitely see how my SOP came off as far less impressive. I have a lot of work to do. haha

If GT and GW acceptances went out today and I didn't hear guess that means my chances of a straight acceptance are over. Still have "high support" at emory and ND and hoping that will hear something soon regarding getting off the waitlist, but seems will be a stressful few months. Any tips, suggestions, motivation, success stories? :D

I just got off the phone with Columbia. The woman (not sure who it was, but was told by the front desk, director of the graduate program) reiterated that all students who had been admitted or offered a place on the wait list had been notified and that rejections would be out by the end of the week.

Anyone claim the Georgetown admits?

Me! (Although waitlisted for funding.) Absolutely thrilled as I had pretty much written off this year! I couldn't even bring myself to the message boards following my UPenn/Yale/Berkeley bloodbath last week--didn't want to spread my negativitiy around. Did you say something previously about very few people getting funding at GTown?

Me! (Although waitlisted for funding.) Absolutely thrilled as I had pretty much written off this year! I couldn't even bring myself to the message boards following my UPenn/Yale/Berkeley bloodbath last week--didn't want to spread my negativitiy around. Did you say something previously about very few people getting funding at GTown?

Congrats! Waitlisted funding is not DOA. I think that at a place like G-town, some of the funded acceptances probably have some top alternatives, so hang in there. Additionally, who are your POIs? Have they secured outside grants, do they have RA money?

In at Georgetown. I'd love to go there but the funding seems awful for DC.

Congrats to you two. Georgetown is a fabulous college. Best of luck to you both in making your decisions.

I really hope GWU and Georgetown aren't done with their admits, because those were my last hopes at a PhD. I will not be looking forward to the pain and agony of waiting for admissions decisions again next season, but alas, I must do so to pursue my dreams. =P

CairoKid, just wanted to say--I wound up in a Master's program in 2009, after getting rejected from all the PhD programs I'd applied to. Not only did it set me up for successful PhD app's this cycle, it was an excellent experience in its own right. I know they can seem like a consolation prize, but they are much more than that.

Still, good luck on GW and Gtown

I've got to say I agree to a large extent. I'd compare the early presidents to the most recent presidents as an example, but the point would really be weakened by some terrible leaders in the middle of American history.

In law school, people are almost willing to throw stones at you for expressing disagreement with the "One Man, One Vote" line of cases. Online, the worst you guys can do to me is give me negative reputation points.

EDIT: I'm sitting in a rather boring class right now, so I figure some sort of polemical discussion will provide much-needed entertainment.

Edited by PoliSci27

Oh boy. Anyone want to pull out their Aristotle or de Tocqueville? Tyranny of the incompetent majority and all that.

Edit: I disagree with the statement that the only effective difference between dictatorships and democracy is that democratic institutions prevent the below-average leaders getting power. Most democratic nations have a pretty wide distribution of sovereign power, meaning that the "leader", no matter how brilliant, is limited in his or her ability to effect change. I suppose one could say that the ideal outcome would be a system of distributed power where the most competent candidates in each position of power were elected, but then we get back to the word "competence" and what it really means in this situation. Many politicians are great movers and shakers without necessarily having the most discerning eye for policy, and many politicians who really know their shit on taxation, for example, would probably be relatively easily frustrated in any attempt to implement the best policy. Even if a democracy doesn't elect the best leaders, at least its structure allows for different ideas to come through, too.

Edited by saltlakecity2012

Having worked in a call center once upon a time, I can only but agree. That type of work does not lead to an optimistic view of your fellow man/woman.

Yes. However, I'm a research assistant in DC for my day job, also not giving me an optimistic view!

Think tank research v. academic research is no contest, I can't wait to quit both my jobs!

Edited by Ironheel!!

Received an official rejection letter from Northeastern just now, so for those of you who may be waiting to hear from them, their decisions are apparently going out.

I'm getting annihilated this season; I can't even manage to wiggle into a waitlist so far XD

...Which is kind of a terrifying precedent, so I hope at least one of my other outstanding applications upsets it!