Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

CairoKid, just wanted to say--I wound up in a Master's program in 2009, after getting rejected from all the PhD programs I'd applied to. Not only did it set me up for successful PhD app's this cycle, it was an excellent experience in its own right. I know they can seem like a consolation prize, but they are much more than that.

Still, good luck on GW and Gtown

I know a Master's could definitely be useful and prepare me for a PhD. I just know it's not likely that I can afford a Master's if I can't get full funding, or at least most of tuition covered. That's part of my worry. I suppose there is still hope for some of the schools left. I'm just being especially pessimistic because my boyfriend keeps getting accepted places, and it's hard to not feel like a failure in comparison.

On another note, does anyone know if Washington - Seattle is done with offers? It seems like a lot of people heard back already, but previous cycles show a few offers of admission in the beginning-mid March, weeks after the first admits showed up. It's been my favorite option this whole time, so I hope there are still admits to be made.

Its important to see beyond the simple dichotomy of dictatorship vs democracy and its correlation in the media (evil vs good) and realize that there are so many variant, alternative, and hybrid forms of government. Personally, it seems evident to me from daily observation and the study of history that the article is on to something. The main problem with democracy is that it leads to a general overall mediocracy of government, especially when you have the entire population vote from the least educated to the most education. Its true as Saltlake says that democracy prevents, due to its structure, the worst ideas and leaders from doing too much damage. But it also restrains the very best. As Tocqueville suggested, really smart people don't even bother participating in democractic politics. I also disagree with the "at least democracy allows new ideas to be implemented eventually" argument as well. Often democracy leads to bloated bureaucracies, interest groups, and entitlements that are really hard to change "through the system." Many of the ancients seem to have believed rightfully that a new phoenix can only emerge out of the ashes of an old one.

In any case, ultimately liberalism is probably more important than democracy and its what people really want. By that, I mean classical liberalism which is really a system that allows for much individual freedom. Deep down inside, that's what the people of the Arab Spring want for example. To not be harassed and suppressed. Democracy hardly allows the individual much choice and change, since it is really a stand in for plutocracy. Liberal autocracy, as in the great 18th and 19th century European empires can probably ensure a better run system than a modern liberal democracy. But I do not seriously believe that people will outgrow the need to impose their views on society, whether conservative or liberal...humans seem to have an innate tendency to want to do so.

Edited by Apill

Its important to see beyond the simple dichotomy of dictatorship vs democracy and its correlation in the media (evil vs good) and realize that there are so many variant, alternative, and hybrid forms of government. Personally, it seems evident to me from daily observation and the study of history that the article is on to something. The main problem with democracy is that it leads to a general overall mediocracy of government, especially when you have the entire population vote from the least educated to the most education. Its true as Saltlake says that democracy prevents, due to its structure, the worst ideas and leaders from doing too much damage. But it also restrains the very best. As Tocqueville suggested, really smart people don't even bother participating in democractic politics. I also disagree with the "at least democracy allows new ideas to be implemented eventually" argument as well. Often democracy leads to bloated bureaucracies, interest groups, and entitlements that are really hard to change "through the system." Many of the ancients seem to have believed rightfully that a new phoenix can only emerge out of the ashes of an old one.

In any case, ultimately liberalism is probably more important than democracy and its what people really want. By that, I mean classical liberalism which is really a system that allows for much individual freedom. Deep down inside, that's what the people of the Arab Spring want for example. To not be harassed and suppressed. Democracy hardly allows the individual much choice and change, since it is really a stand in for plutocracy. Liberal autocracy, as in the great 18th and 19th century European empires can probably ensure a better run system than a modern liberal democracy. But I do not seriously believe that people will outgrow the need to impose their views on society, whether conservative or liberal...humans seem to have an innate tendency to want to do so.

I would not say that democracy allows new ideas to be implemented eventually. In fact, dictatorships, or authoritarian regimes if you prefer, are much better equipped to adopt new ideas. I would say that democracies tend to allow for the development of new ideas, but that is not inherent to the structure of the system - that's just because today we find that most authoritarian regimes clamp down on the generation of new ideas in order to keep control of political development.

After all, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. :)

Nice to see some political science chatter on the board!

Edited by Ironheel!!

Yes. However, I'm a research assistant in DC for my day job, also not giving me an optimistic view!

Think tank research v. academic research is no contest, I can't wait to quit both my jobs!

Oh, I hear you. I spent two years interning and then working for Congress, and that experience certainly colored my view as well. I was surprised at the ignorance so regularly demonstrated by those who called their local representative.

Hi everyone. I just registered after months or lurking. None of my applications worked out this cycle... Just preparing a BA/MA application at my home institution. I'm probably out for Harvard, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those consolation masters from NYU and Chicago! Also thinking about applying to Columbia's QMSS. They're all crazy expensive, but it looks like I don't have much choice. :(

Or... I could go join the Army and get some overseas experience in Syria. (I jest, good sirs.)

Edited by McMuffin

Hi everyone. I just registered after months or lurking. None of my applications worked out this cycle... Just preparing a BA/MA application at my home institution. I'm probably out for Harvard, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those consolation masters from NYU and Chicago! Also thinking about applying to Columbia's QMSS. They're all crazy expensive, but it looks like I don't have much choice. :(

Or... I could go join the Army and get some overseas experience in Syria. (I jest, good sirs.)

QMSS is definitely not cheap, but it is a really excellent program that you should seriously think about if you decide to go this route. I cannot say enough good things about what it did for me. it seems to have placed people very well in phd programs (especially Columbia recently) to the extent that people have wanted to go on to a phd in political science. the balance of the incoming classes there has shifted pretty strongly towards political science the last couple of years. i just talked to chris weiss there today and he said they are looking to hire a political scientist for the program in the near-term.

if you want to know anything about QMSS, pm me and i'll be happy to answer

Got into nyu! Aaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

Wow, congrats. Did they explain the odd timing?

Congrats! :D

It is quite possible that the odd timing is due to the fact that someone just decline an acceptance. :unsure:

This event might serve as a confirmation (and a reminder) that the butterfly effect does exist! :o

Please, plan accordingly ;)

Peace!

Hi everyone,

I unfortunately just discovered The Grad Cafe, this is really a wonderful resource. Congratulations to everyone for their acceptances.

One thing I was wondering about [and for which I haven't seen an answer here]:

How many of you were in contact with the relevant professors at the schools you got accepted into BEFORE sending in your application? Did you talk with them about your research interest and your application?

If I can add something to the "tyranny of the majority" debate: During my Masters this was one of the issues that interested me the most, which is why I wrote a review paper about that. I would generally agree that democracy is a good thing as long as majorities do not manifest themselves on certain issues. While some minorities benefit from democracy (such as homosexuals and language minorities) others tend to be constant losers (especially ethnical minorities and immigrants). This is because once there is a majority it is likely to persist for a long time, which leads to the "tyranny of the majority" over the long run. What makes this even worse it that the politization and securitization of immigrants and ethnic minorities often takes place on an emotional rather than rational level. Thus, I believe that democracy, even though usually beneficial for the demos, can also be dangerous if you belong to a minority group. -> see the Swiss case

I feel like an elitist sometimes but people are indeed not always educated enough to decide on certain issues. I feel deeply sorry for the discriminating decisions my country made.

(if someone is interested in this issue, I can point you to a lot of literature)

Hi everyone,

I unfortunately just discovered The Grad Cafe, this is really a wonderful resource. Congratulations to everyone for their acceptances.

One thing I was wondering about [and for which I haven't seen an answer here]:

How many of you were in contact with the relevant professors at the schools you got accepted into BEFORE sending in your application? Did you talk with them about your research interest and your application?

The last paragraph of my post addresses this question to some extent. In my case, I had virtually no contact with faculty or departments prior to applying (one exception due to contacting faculty for a research project I was already doing, but the contact was not regarding applying).

I hope you find this helpful.

Congrats! Waitlisted funding is not DOA. I think that at a place like G-town, some of the funded acceptances probably have some top alternatives, so hang in there. Additionally, who are your POIs? Have they secured outside grants, do they have RA money?

Well, I'm another one that straddles the comparative/IR line, analysing the extent to which religious cleavages explain realist failures, with a specific focus on the Middle East. Could end up under the guise of one of the religion, peace and world affairs profs (such as Shah) or Middle East staff (like Brumberg or Shain). Am trying to get in touch with them regarding length of waitlist, RA possibilities, etc., but the time difference makes it more of a challenge.

On another note, I emailed Maryland about notifications, as I would want to do both visits on the same trip (if I am lucky enough to get into UMD). They said that "decisions are being sent out this week and next" so if you are also waiting, don't hold your breath.

Well, I'm another one that straddles the comparative/IR line, analysing the extent to which religious cleavages explain realist failures, with a specific focus on the Middle East. Could end up under the guise of one of the religion, peace and world affairs profs (such as Shah) or Middle East staff (like Brumberg or Shain). Am trying to get in touch with them regarding length of waitlist, RA possibilities, etc., but the time difference makes it more of a challenge.

On another note, I emailed Maryland about notifications, as I would want to do both visits on the same trip (if I am lucky enough to get into UMD). They said that "decisions are being sent out this week and next" so if you are also waiting, don't hold your breath.

Well good luck. I'm in DC so if you need any info shot me a pm.