PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I really want to move back to Boston. I got rejected from BC, which means MIT is almost certainly a "No." The jury is still out on BU. I have a master's from BU in another field, so I don't know if that will help or hurt. If I get into BU with funding, I'll go. Unless I get funding from Georgetown, that is...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows about Northeastern's program. I emailed them after I got my BC rejection and today they finally came back and said that yes, even though their deadline was 2/1, I should apply to the program. Does anyone know anything about it, positive or negative? Is anyone else applying there?

What about Brown?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to move back to Boston. I got rejected from BC, which means MIT is almost certainly a "No." The jury is still out on BU. I have a master's from BU in another field, so I don't know if that will help or hurt. If I get into BU with funding, I'll go. Unless I get funding from Georgetown, that is...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows about Northeastern's program. I emailed them after I got my BC rejection and today they finally came back and said that yes, even though their deadline was 2/1, I should apply to the program. Does anyone know anything about it, positive or negative? Is anyone else applying there?

Also, UMass?

Awfully quiet day considering that this week is suppose to be a critical week for many schools. Definitely still early in the day but it is certainly a slow day thus far. Thinking of calling up a few departments to inquire about the decisions.

Awfully quiet day considering that this week is suppose to be a critical week for many schools. Definitely still early in the day but it is certainly a slow day thus far. Thinking of calling up a few departments to inquire about the decisions.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's not exactly a hornet's nest of activity here, and you would think some of the Jan 1st or Jan 15th deadline schools would be reporting today.

If they're letting you apply a month after their deadline then you have your answer about the quality of the program.

Well I cracked and emailed WWS asking when I might get a decision... We'll see if they respond. Got an auto-bot response saying they get a large volume of email etc. etc. but would try and respond to questions as soon as they can...

I applied there for the MA program. It's one of my fallback options if I don't get in anywhere with decent funding (not that Northeastern's MA program funds everyone).

They have a PhD program too but I don't think it's ranked even in the Top 100. If they're letting you apply for the PhD program after their deadline has passed then it's certainly not a good indicator of it's reputation and value in the job market and academia.

So when I try to access Gradcafe later in the day and the servers have crashed, can I assume that means Harvard has started notifying?

You'll know when you have their acceptance mail in your email!

I figured Brown was a bit out of my realm of possibility, and had never heard anything positive or negative about UMass. The only reason I contacted Northeastern is that, after getting rejected by my safety school (BC) and anticipating a rejection from MIT, if I don't get into BU, I may not have any other options (in Boston).

Maybe others are in this situation, regardless of the relative prestige of the schools to which we applied.

At what point do we just say, "Forget about it."

I figured Brown was a bit out of my realm of possibility, and had never heard anything positive or negative about UMass. The only reason I contacted Northeastern is that, after getting rejected by my safety school (BC) and anticipating a rejection from MIT, if I don't get into BU, I may not have any other options (in Boston).

Maybe others are in this situation, regardless of the relative prestige of the schools to which we applied.

At what point do we just say, "Forget about it."

I don't think BC is necessarily a safety school, though it's not ranked in the top 50. I was rejected there but accepted to a place higher up. Aside from accepting a very tiny percentage of applicants, I think they are looking for a very specific, quirky kind of scholar...at least in American politics and political theory.

So, I don't need to settle for Northeastern is what I'm hearing...

UGPA 3.5

GGPA 3.6

GRE 660/620/5.0

Anyway, when all this is over, I'll be in at Georgetown and BU, so this discussion is moot. That's what I'm telling myself.

For those who haven't heard from U. of Michigan, don't loose hope.

I just received via postal mail, notice that I have "been placed on a short, select waitlist." The letter states they do anticipate taking some from the list, but they can't say how many. I really have my fingers crossed for this one! For those who care, my sibfield is I.R.

For those who haven't heard from U. of Michigan, don't loose hope.

I just received via postal mail, notice that I have "been placed on a short, select waitlist." The letter states they do anticipate taking some from the list, but they can't say how many. I really have my fingers crossed for this one! For those who care, my sibfield is I.R.

Congrats! I'll have my fingers crossed for you as well. Though, since I still haven't heard anything from Michigan (went and checked my mailbox after your post to no avail), I'll also have my fingers crossed for, you know, me...

I was told by the grad sec at Georgetown last week that most decisions would be coming out mid-march....I know some people have already heard but I don't think they are done yet.

Thanks for the update. I guess it is at least two more weeks of waiting then.

EDIT: Whatever happened to GW?