PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although my numbers looked in line w/ GW and G'town was a bit of a reach for me, I didn't get a GW email Friday. Congrats to those who did.

Decision time is now at hand. Although, with no $ from Georgetown (my first choice), and only a waitlist for UF $, I first need to decide if I even want to do this at all.

For those of us still waiting, I hope this week is a symphony of acceptances.

I'm going to Boston Thursday and DC Saturday to get a feel for campuses. When I booked the flights, I assumed I might have acceptances in Boston. Oh well. Georgetown is the best departmental fit for me. Unfortunately, their attitude is, "We won't fund you, but we'll gladly take your money."

Northwestern finally rejected me yesterday.

For Maryland it's really weird. The ASF online said "A decision has been made regarding your application" and asked me to go to Testudo. But it's still pending decision on that one. Maybe I can only find about the decision in "a decision letter within two to three weeks". My guess is, for best it's a de facto waitlist, for worst it's a rejection which they forgot to or will later post on Testudo.

I have an offer at Maryland in Public Policy but my testudo status still says "decision pending" (not to offer false hope, but at least there is hope).

Ivyreject, I'm in DC this week (to visit friends and Maryland). The weather is TERRIBLE here. Cold and rainy. It will seriously make you reconsider Florida...

In response to the Northwestern question about subfield - I still haven't heard and I'm IR. I assume I'm one of the many people on an unofficial waitlist...or they're just toying with us!

Thank goodness I've gotten into one school at least - it'll probably be my only one. Best of luck to all who are waiting for at least one acceptance. Hopefully it'll happen soon.

At least it was one of the better rejection letters.

Just received my rejection also. It was worded very nicely I must say.

Although I was not accepted, it was a relief, no doubt. Just waiting for two more so that I can breathe a bit more freely. (I've actually started to warm up to the schools I am choosing from).

I'd suggest sending an email to Irwin Morris. He should be able to tell you what the situation is.

Thank you guys. I just sent an email to ask and hope to get some answers. But I really doubt that they would give me a clear one. It seems that they would "not give decision upon request by email or phone".

Chicago finally replies with a rejection - and, surprise, a totally unsolicited acceptance into the MAPSS program with a 2/3 funding offer. Had I struck out entirely, or only landed my safeties, this might be an attractive offer. As is,I've got a better alternative.

And the 2009 cycle is over for this guy. Well, Minnesota is still quiet, but they were my last choice anyway.

Looks like a win for Duke. Guess I should start learning how to talk basketball.

Also I just got a no from NYU's Law and Society Program, though it doesn't seem like anyone on here was interested in it

Didn't know much about it. Can I ask when/how you heard from Minnesota? There's still nothing online for me. And I live in the state, so I can't imagine the letter is still on its way.

wow 14 weeks later and finally a decision on Columbia. Oh well, struck out at every Phd program but looking forward to my Mphil at Oxford. And as much as I'll miss you all I'm happy to finally stop obsessing, leave this place, and get back into the real world. Best of luck to all :)

That stinks about Columbia. Did everyone who was waiting on Columbia get those emails today?

Kudos to you on the MPhil at Oxford. Is that the MPhil in IR? I applied for it but didn't get in.

Sent an email to Maryland yesterday, and get an answer from Prof. Morris:

"It is my understanding that you have been admitted to the program, but I will need to confirm that with our program coordinator. As we are on spring break, she will not be back in the office until later this week. I will check with her as soon as she returns to the office. I apologize for the delay."

I am patient... :) LeftCoast, kenzhu, publicpolicy79, thanks for your help!

What is up with UNC? Are they still having some bizarro-world admissions process?

I have a sinking suspicion that we'll all be getting thin envelopes in the postal mail at some point this week. I base this suspicion in large part on the person who reported on the results board that they emailed the department late last week and learned they'd been rejected. So that means at least some decisions have been made. Maybe they're still wrangling over a few files, but I suspect they're either finished or else they never got the additional funding for more students they were hoping to get.

You know, I never would have expected myself to say this a few weeks ago, but I would be at peace with a negative outcome. UNC was by far my first choice program on the basis of both fit and the fact that it is within a commutable distance from my current residence and, therefore, would not necessitate trying to sell my house. However, I'm really pleased with some of the offers I've gotten and I'd actually be somewhat saddened to pass the best of them up.

i think that most of us are still waiting on Georgetown...i keep on hearing that we're going to hear from them by the end of this week (ie the 20th).

I have some of the same schools on my list. G'town is my first choice at this point, but I don't know if I can swing it without funding. I haven't heard from GW either, which I assume is a rejection because there was a big wave of unfunded acceptances on Friday on the big board.

What is your sense about BU? They have rejected some and admitted some. I expect to hear any day now. I'm going to Boston and DC later this week, but have no Boston acceptances... But my girlfriend got into Catholic University of America's law school and is waitlisted at American. So getting into BU doesn't mean as much to me at this point.

I figured that Georgetown had already admitted a bunch of people, both with funding and without, and that the rest of us were just waiting on the inevitable rejection letters. Am I being too pessimistic?