PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be nice if our colleagues who have been admitted would stand up and tell us all about it...

Indeed. Can people who've been admitted to Brown let us know something on the forum? Subfield, information on cohort size, number of apps, whatever? Just to give those of us here in graduate school purgatory some idea of when our suffering will be complete.

What's the deal with UMass funding, anyway? I hear they are only able to offer $ to a select few....hmmm.

You're still waiting on Hopkins? So you were waitlisted?

No, I am probably just waiting for my rejection letter to arrive :) I live outside of the U.S. and I got no notification whatsoever. I just e-mailed the grad coordinator though, so I am hoping to find out for sure real soon.

About UMass funding: I don't know what they will be able to offer, if anything at all. But I expect to turn them down within the next week or so, so it doesn't really matter. I hope they give you an awesome package!

And I just saw your new post: Yes, I am not planning on going. I am in IR.

I just got an email admission from UW Seattle, but no guaranteed funding. They say they would evaluate for a TAship each quarter, but unlikely in first year. I will be turning this offer down shortly.

I have absolutely no information to add (sorry - really wish I did), but I just have to say that it's not normal how much it annoys me when gradcafe is down. I mean, it's not like I'm missing out on vital information, but it sure does feel like that!

I got into Florida today. My first acceptance!!! Not my first choice though. (Have you been to Gainesville in August...?)

Waitlist for funding, which sucks. It feels kind of like being the last kid picked for kickball. But whatever, I'm on a team. The orange and blue team.

I got an email from a prof 2/11 and finally talked to him on the phone 2/24. The conversation seemed like an acceptance, but he wasn't in a place to make it official since he's not on the committee apparently. Re: the waitlisted funding, he said that if I get offers elsewhere to let him know, sometimes you can create leverage that way.

Looks like I'm gonna be a doctor! Well, I guess we all are. But still, it feels good!!!

I got into Florida today. My first acceptance!!! Not my first choice though. (Have you been to Gainesville in August...?)

Waitlist for funding, which sucks. It feels kind of like being the last kid picked for kickball. But whatever, I'm on a team. The orange and blue team.

I got an email from a prof 2/11 and finally talked to him on the phone 2/24. The conversation seemed like an acceptance, but he wasn't in a place to make it official since he's not on the committee apparently. Re: the waitlisted funding, he said that if I get offers elsewhere to let him know, sometimes you can create leverage that way.

Looks like I'm gonna be a doctor! Well, I guess we all are. But still, it feels good!!!

Congrats!!

This is one of those what would you do questions:

So I haven't heard anything from TAMU since February 10 when the DGS e-mailed me back and said that they were still considering my app and that decisions would be made as the month went along. Since then, several folks have been rejected. Should I contact them again? I am scared shitless to be a bother, but the waiting is paralyzing my productivity. Please advise...

Ivyreject- Congrats! And yes, isn't it a wonderful feeling of relief to know you are going somewhere? Even if it isn't your top choice? One assumes you wouldn't have applied anywhere you wouldn't be willing to spend the next five years after all. Enjoy the moment of euphoria!

Poscme- I can tell you what I am doing in a similar situation. When I contacted a department after seeing offers on tbe boards (I saw the offers two weeks ago on Monday, contacted them the following Friday) I was told they would get everything out in the next two weeks. I assumed that meant rejections :( Today there are rejections ALL OVER THE PLACE to this program (in a different field than PoliSci) but they said two weeks, so I am going to stew in my anxiety until Friday. But they also gave me a definite time-line to abide by. As pertains to your situation, I am one of the TAMU admits, and the visit weekend is March 27-29. So that could guide your timeline given that if you are admitted, you probably want to visit the campus that weekend. So I'd give it until the end of this week as that is three weeks out from the visit. Good luck!

And I was one of the people going insane not being able to get onto the board. Not that anyone else could get on and impart important information that I was missing...

This is one of those what would you do questions:

So I haven't heard anything from TAMU since February 10 when the DGS e-mailed me back and said that they were still considering my app and that decisions would be made as the month went along. Since then, several folks have been rejected. Should I contact them again? I am scared shitless to be a bother, but the waiting is paralyzing my productivity. Please advise...

Man, I would get back to you in a few days. I expect the postal mail from TAMU will arrive any day now. If you're in the US, then there's still time aplenty for them to send you the acceptance by post for you to be in the visit weekend.

Man, I would get back to you in a few days. I expect the postal mail from TAMU will arrive any day now. If you're in the US, then there's still time aplenty for them to send you the acceptance by post for you to be in the visit weekend.

I hope you guys are right. I will wait on your letter, mormegil, and then try and establish contact with them by Friday or next Monday. This is the one that I really want. Publicpolicy79, thanks for the info. I hope I see both of you in a few weeks.

Congrats! You'll see me there if you go.

I hope you guys are right. I will wait on your letter, mormegil, and then try and establish contact with them by Friday or next Monday. This is the one that I really want. Publicpolicy79, thanks for the info. I hope I see both of you in a few weeks.

TAMU has mailed my letter probably by 22nd February though I haven't got it yet. A week has passed. I still haven't received any e-mail/phone call from the department. I seriously doubt the mail will bear good news. I mean, if they want me, wouldn't they be anxious to at least informally notify me after sending their official mail? I'm just speculating here. :mrgreen:

Got the official rejection letter from UChicago today, though.

Hi,

Has anyone else heard from NWU, I seriously think they put us on an official wait list. I have been waiting for a rejection with no news. Seriously :oops:

And I last heard from Georgia when they told me I heard been accepted and waiting funding but no news from any other proff.

Got a rejection from UFlorida (congrats to those who got in)

Any word from Brown?

Hi,

Has anyone else heard from NWU, I seriously think they put us on an official wait list. I have been waiting for a rejection with no news. Seriously :oops:

And I last heard from Georgia when they told me I heard been accepted and waiting funding but no news from any other proff.

Any word from Brown?

Waiting for Northwestern seems to be a common thread on this board. Besides a few early acceptances and rejections there seems to be no news from them.

I got a cryptic response from Brown, to the effect that yes, all acceptance calls are being made "around this time" and that we can look forward to formal letters toward the end of the month.

So precisely nothing new there. If we hear nothing soon, then that's it.

Hi,

Any word from Brown?

I'm among those still waiting on NW, though I'm expecting to log into my online application at some point later this week and see a rejection.

I've also had a similar experience with Georgia. I received my acceptance via postal mail from the grad school on 1/31/09 (interesting, seeing as Georgia's deadline was 2/1/09). Since then, I have heard absolutely nothing from the department...nothing about funding, nothing about a prospectives' visit, not even a lonely email from a professor congratulating me on my acceptance and inviting me to ask questions as has been routine for the other schools to which I was accepted.

Lurker here sorry,

To those asking about Brown I can only relate that my daughter was called last week with her acceptance. She was advised that she would recieve the full package for acceptance via the postal service. they did advise her that it was for 19K medical etc. She did say that the women she spoke with asked her about several things related to her choices and she hoped that she would come to brown. Said it was very nice call.

Hope this is not bad news for anyone who is waiting. As of this writing she is waiting for all options before choosing.

Reliable UPDATE. I called all schools this morning... could not take the stress any longer

Brown: If you where accepted you got a call last week, if you are on waiting list or rejected you won't know till mid march.

UNC Chapel Hill: They have only accepted 6 people so far (all six got mail a month ago), they have not rejected or wait listed anyone at this point as they wait on funding.

Princeton: All those who are in where accepted (waitlisted) where notified last week by email and and mail, and rejections are in the mail as of last week, should be getting one soon.

Northwestern- No need to call no one picks up or the lady is never there.

Howard: My friend who is a proff there sent me this "The Department Political Science at Howard University has NOT DONE its admission for geraduate students yet. Is that clear? That statement you quoted is not true for Department of Political Science, may for another Department at Howard University. Keep cool okay." I had emailed saying I read somewhere that people where notified.

Georgia State: They accept you and just go AWOL,no email nothing issshhh